Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-15-2006, 02:05 AM   #76
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia
Re: Aikido and Target Focus Training

Ask concrete questions and there is silence...
Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #77
Kristian Miller-Karlsen
Dojo: Shin Sen Dojo Sydney
Australia

Jorgen,

Patience grasshopper, patience... Some people, like myself, have to work for a living. Despite your impatience I must commend you on your thirst for knowledge. I'm just not sure I want to "throw pearls"... I am also concerned about giving away other peoples intellectual property.

I will give you this in response however. To answer your concrete questions:

1. Look at the target. Touch the target. Transfer load (Your body weight will be sufficient).

2. Go to a mirror. Look at yourself the way a stranger would, like you've never laid eyes on yourself before. You don't know this person in the mirror. You don't know his personality, if he is a nice guy, you don't care. You don't know this person has studied martial arts and you don't care. The image in the mirror is nothing to you. You want to see this person in the mirror die by any means necessary.

Now Jorgen. When you train look at your opponent this way. Have fun.

These are very simplified answers. If you want more information I would suggest, at the risk of upsetting Edwin (He thinks I am a TFT marketing guru!), that you get hold of a TFT DVD and find out for yourself. Or you could get hold of one of Tim's free newsletters. I'm not doing the hard sell Jorgen. To quote Tim from one of his more recent newsletters:

"Our return policy lets you check it out on me and see what you
think. Please write me back when you have. I'd like to hear your
thoughts!"

So there you go.

In future Jorgen I would suggest that when you are conversing on these internet sites, when you are addressing others or simply proclaiming your thoughts from the rooftops, that you do so as though the person were sitting right there in front of you.

Regards

Kristian.
Sydney.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #78
mike valentine
Dojo: shin sen
Australia

Mike,
As somewhat of an antagonist myself i quite enjoyed your last post,it seems that your last paragraph(while much more articulate than i could muster)basically outlines what i've been saying from the getgo.If ever you get "Down Under"look me up and i'd be more than happy to show you first hand how we train.One thing though, i've only used the term asocial in regards to violence,so if that school girl with the piercings attacked me with a gun,knife,bat etc i would try to kill her.

Again for the last time,i'm not trying to convert anyone to TFT,all MA has its good and bad points,it's just that in training in this stuff i have been able to disregard alot of my previous ideas on what constituted a fight and how to win one more effectively.For me now competition is a distant memory,it's all about survival.

Jorx,sorry for the delay i forgot that the whole world revolves around yourself.Believe it or not responding to you is at the bottom of my priority list however if i must.As it seems quite apparent that you don't/won't believe anything i write here at face value and that for you seeing trully is believing i suggest you attend a course where all your questions can be professionally answered right there on the mat.You admit yourself that the spec-ops guy would probably take you out has it never crossed your mind to find out and train in some of the things they do?It has nothing to do with competition.It's all about results.

As a side note and please i'm not telling you what to do,may i suggest that you spend less time intellectualising the MA and more time actually doing practical training.While i'm at it i would suggest that i've forgotten more about useful training practices than you've ever learnt and that telling people how to respond to your posts is downright rude and inflammetory.In saying that if i myself has upset you i do apologise,it was never my intent.

Regards
Mike V
Oz

Ps:I did some training with a workmate who also happens to instruct BJJ today,guess what,after getting out of a few holds and locks(with his protests of "you can't do that,that's illegal" etc.)i think i have a new training partner.I guess feeling not seeing may be the real answer.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:25 PM   #79
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Mike Valentine wrote:
Mike,
As somewhat of an antagonist myself i quite enjoyed your last post,it seems that your last paragraph(while much more articulate than i could muster)basically outlines what i've been saying from the getgo.If ever you get "Down Under"look me up and i'd be more than happy to show you first hand how we train.
Mike,
I definitely will look you up if I ever have the opportunity to travel in your direction; I love finding new people to train with, even if for a brief period of time. That offer extends both ways, if you ever find yourself near Nashville, Tn let me know and we'll grab some mat time together.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #80
mike valentine
Dojo: shin sen
Australia

Mike,
I hope to be in your part of the world within the next 18mths,along time i know but with a young family it's hard.

Regards
Mike V
Oz
Old 03-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #81
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia

"In future Jorgen I would suggest that when you are conversing on these internet sites, when you are addressing others or simply proclaiming your thoughts from the rooftops, that you do so as though the person were sitting right there in front of you."

Kristian: No problem with that. I'd love to train with all you guys and test and experiment and see what turns out.

Same goes for Mike - I think you and your workmate just did not find out that you should be doing the same thing. Not that hard to work something out. I'd suggest you give him another try but maybe he's not just that kind of guy to be able to make the transition.

And just for the record - right now I train 7 days a week throw in an occasional rest day sometimes. Wonderful world of being an uni student before the exams start.

However... you guys ever happen to travel to Malayisia or Singapore? Cause I have no mates any nearer who could bring this discussion from theory (which gets us nowhere) to practice?
Old 03-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #82
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Mike Valentine wrote:
Mike,
I hope to be in your part of the world within the next 18mths,along time i know but with a young family it's hard.

Regards
Mike V
Oz
I understand completely. I dropped you an e-mail with my contact information; That way you can just leave it in your mailbox until you need it. LOL

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes