Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #51
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Re: Shodokan, Tomiki, Aikikai?

Quote:
...God willing you will come to know the wonderful art that is Tomiki Aikido.
(wipes tear from eye), that was beautiful man, you guys deserve a shodothug anthem and coat of arms (ripped hakama over recumbent uke on a field of red perhaps)
Old 01-25-2006, 09:55 PM   #52
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Speaking of Judo and Aikido, I think Tomiki-sama research is very in-depth and academically adequate to answer the relationship between the two arts. The book Tradition and Competitive Edge by Nariyama-sama and Shisida-sama is a good read.

Some fun story to share...

Once upon a time at my Judo dojo, when the sensei was not around, some of the senior judo boyz decide to beg me for instruction. Although in Chinese language this phrase sounds very polite, but in actual fact it is a invitation to test me out.

Judo boyz came in for their typical dogi grip, I shomen-ate'd him. He fell.... I got the first ippon. Second time, he was more wary, I kept my distance... when I sense the opportunity, I went for Gedan-ate. I got the second Ippon.

Next I decided to try to play by their rule. I went in for the grip and try to do judo. I was floored very quickly by De-ashi Harai. Next, the judo boy harmonized me with the mat using Osoto Gari and finally with Tai Otoshi. I love their pinning strategy. After flooring me with Osota Gari, he went instantaneously to Kesa-Gatamae, and transitioned to Yoko-shiho gatamae which I eventually submitted because I could not escape. But to save face, i applied waki-gatamae on him for to force a submission.

It was very fun to play with judo boyz. The fact is, I know that I got him perfectly with Shomen-ate and gedan-ate because he has not seen this technique before. I was floored by his judo technique simply I was not used to these techniques and was caught off guard, like him as well.

In the end, I think it was of mutual benefit, as I learned a little bit more about the way of judo, and he, a little bit more of the way of Aikido.

Winning and losing are not absolute, only as transient events in ones life.

Ossu!

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:13 PM   #53
James Smithe

Dojo: undisclosed location
United_States

Quote:
No Biggie!!! If you are truly sincere in reaching your full potential in this style of Aikido start showing Tomiki Sensei some respect. Junana no hon Kata is a work of genious, it is limitless in variation and application I'm a NiDan and feel that ive only just begun learning it, my sensei has been doing it for fourty years and its still opening up to her. You have been disagreeing with what myself and other Dan grades have been saying about the Aikido/Judo relationship, we haven't been making it up, it is what Tomiki Sensei's works teach us. Ettiquette is the secret to success in the Japanese martial arts please try to use it to the best of your knowledge at all times. It was very poor thinking and a lack of respect saying you could Shomen ate a Judoka's but when frankly at your level you couldnt shomen ate your way out of a wet paper bag and I doubt if your break falling is at a level you could withstand a Judo throw at high speed. Any way train hard learn from your Sempais and Sensei's, read what you can of Tomiki Sensei and always begin with ettiquette and end with ettiquette and God willing you will come to know the wonderful art that is Tomiki Aikido.
1. Kenji Tomiki gets my utmost respect. He did alot to improve to Aikido I won't mention what because the Aikkikai guys will get pissed and say it's destroying it or something.
2. You're pretty sure of yourself for a nidan. Just because you're stronger than those around you doesn't make you strong. Forty years doesn't really mean jack. I know a guy in Judo who's been doing it for 40 years and he's 4th dan. I know another guy who's been doing it the same time and he is 7th dan.
3. So you think you're a dan grade and you're all that. You're not. Read 2.
4. I will not use ettiquete on the internet. The internet is about talking crap and being rude to people. For example I refuse to use the word Sensei myself online.
5. Exactly after I said I would shomen-ate a Judo guy I said I was just talking trash. Look it over to check.
6. By the time I go up against a Judo guy I will be so smooth he won't even throw me.
7. I read a little about Kenji Tomiki. What I remember is that Ueshiba's who is 4 foot 9 threw Tomiki's Judo butt easily and he became his disciple.
8. God? I will shomen-ate his butt too. Now you can put this in the humor section.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #54
James Smithe

United_States

That story is pretty funny. Xu. But I can't tell if you are a guy or a girl.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #55
James Smithe

United_States

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
I think its a mistake however to underestimate any person, regardless of the art they practice.

Just my 2 cents.

LC
What if someone says they can beat you up using Tae Bo?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:06 PM   #56
aikidodragon
Dojo: North West Arkansas Aikido
United_States

James my challenge still stands, and will continue to do so for any time you feel that you are able and skilled to take it. And never estamate any thing, wheather a "real" martial art or some off shoot, or combination of arts. You can talk trash all you want and not show respect, but be prepared to put your money where your mouth is.

:kiAikido is just origami with people.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #57
aikidodragon
United_States

As to time in rank, i have been in judo for about 4-5 years and only have a blue belt. However; I know more of the history, teaching methods, written more papers on judo, ect then most of the black belts in my first judo school. So watch for those who have been in the art for ever but aren't high ranked, they still know more then you, and depending maybe more then the one who out ranks them.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:32 PM   #58
James Smithe

United_States

Quote:
Sara Parson wrote:
James my challenge still stands, and will continue to do so for any time you feel that you are able and skilled to take it. And never estamate any thing, wheather a "real" martial art or some off shoot, or combination of arts. You can talk trash all you want and not show respect, but be prepared to put your money where your mouth is.
Do you know what Tae Bo is? What challenge?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:49 PM   #59
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
James Smith wrote:
What challenge?
James,

Sara challenge you to shomen-ushi her head. After she is done with you, you can GRAB MY WRIST (TM).

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:58 PM   #60
James Smithe

United_States

I have no idea how to do a Shomen-ushi. However I could try shomen-ate but they live in Arkansas. I don't know the wrist techniques yet.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:13 AM   #61
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
James Smith wrote:
I will not use ettiquete on the internet. The internet is about talking crap and being rude to people. For example I refuse to use the word Sensei myself online.
Not on this forum it's not. If you learn anything about Aikido, you will know that it begins and ends with respect, whether that be in a dojo, or on an internet forum.

Quote:
James Smith wrote:
I read a little about Kenji Tomiki. What I remember is that Ueshiba's who is 4 foot 9 threw Tomiki's Judo butt easily and he became his disciple.
I don't think that's quite true, best check your facts again.

kind regards
Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-26-2006, 04:32 AM   #62
IlyasDexter
Dojo: Unity Aikido
Australia

Quote:
James Smith wrote:
I will not use ettiquete on the internet. The internet is about talking crap and being rude to people. For example I refuse to use the word Sensei myself online.
There is a saying "He who doesn't know he doesn't know is a fool, shun him."
Old 01-26-2006, 07:28 AM   #63
aikidodragon
United_States

Shomin uchi is a strike to the top of the head, ether withe your hand or a sord. Shomin ate will seut me just fine also. I just hope your timing is extremely good, and that you are able to brake my balemce. However, i dout that you will be able to, so be prepared to become wonderful friends with the tatami. And the not knowing the rist grabing techniques thats a personal problem. I know several, both from the Aikikai and Shodokan styles. No matter what, just remember, if I can tuch you, I can throw you.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:45 AM   #64
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

This is funny. James, maybe you should read over your posts before you hit the post button? No offence man, but you make a lot of wild points seemingly based on little knowledge. Also, the internet is a law unto itself, but if you want to be taken credibly on here then some rudimentary manners would go a long way...

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #65
akiy

Quote:
James Smith wrote:
4. I will not use ettiquete on the internet. The internet is about talking crap and being rude to people.
If you truly do believe this, then please find a different venue than the AikiWeb Forums for sharing your thoughts. The first rule of the AikiWeb Forums is, "Treat your fellow AikiWeb Forum members with respect."

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #66
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Jun beat me to it. All web fora have rules that one must adhere to, else get evicted.

Maybe we're being mistaken for Bullshido.com.

Btw James, Tae Bo is not a martial art, but to underestimate someone who practices it with a martial intent alongside real Tae Kwon Do would be a mistake.

Remember, arrogance is self-inflicted kuzushi.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 01-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #67
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
James Smith wrote:
I will not use ettiquete on the internet. The internet is about talking crap and being rude to people.
It is the responsibility of the individual to conform to the traditions and customs of the group, or (s)he will be ostracized by the group.

I believe the saying goes something like: The nail that sticks up gets hammered back down.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #68
L. Camejo

Canada

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
The nail that sticks up gets hammered back down.

Bronson you sound more and more like a Shodothug every day.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
Old 01-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #69
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Lame. You sir, have nothing to say and you say it too often.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:53 PM   #70
James Smithe

United_States

Peter I call upon your expert advice and ask if I am wrong about my Kenji Tomiki story. I'm pretty sure Bryan's wrong about this though. Also stop laughing in front of your keyboard this is a serious discu hahhah sion.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:10 PM   #71
L. Camejo

Canada

Nice pics.

I wouldn't underestimate those girls. In fact I KNOW they could beat up on me anytime they want, especially if there is floor grappling involved.

Of course if one thinks that the average martial artist knows anything about fighting, well - I think some lessons are best learnt from experience.

I see you're from Texas, do you really train in Shodokan or a Karl Geis flavour of what Tomiki developed? I know Geis is big in the Texas area.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #72
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Bryan is right James - on both points.

Tomiki and his brother were introduced to Ueshiba by their friend Nishimura. They were fascinated by the technique and obviously impressed by the man. Tomiki at the time was 24 years old, strong, confident and critical. Ueshiba about 41 was in his physical prime as a martial artist - quite impressive judging by pictures from around that time. There was no need for a fight for each to know the others abilities.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #73
James Smithe

United_States

Wtf? I never said I was Shodokan. Don't get me started on Karl Geis. His system to say the least is screwy. I'm with Chuck Clark's group. However I plan on going to New York one day and competiting.
I disagree with the first point. Second point. I really don't think I made that up in my mind. I must have read that somewhere.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #74
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

James, I don't remember you from my visits to the Dallas dojo. I must say that from what I've seen of your attitudes on this forum, I don't think that you're picking up much of our Jiyushinkai training.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 01-26-2006, 10:57 PM   #75
James Smithe

United_States

I keep telling you guys that this is the internet I do not act the same way in real life. At least I hope I don't.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!