Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #51
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States
Re: My Aikido Secret

Quote:
Trevor Wolfe wrote:
Besides knowing in secret creates a quiet strength.
NO... it creates a quiet ego. And that ego will keep growing and growing and one day reality will smack you in the face, and you will receive a rude awakening.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #52
Saturn

Dojo: Sudbury Aikikai & Tai Chi Centre
Canada
Evil Eyes Re: My Aikido Secret

Well Page, your ego isn't very quiet at all is it. Rude awakening, I would have one if I just woke up and had you in my face going on about how anyone that is in martial arts except you should die, die, die.
I am Page and I am going to tell everyone what Aikido is and isn't because I am a 15th degree black belt in attitude and I am not afraid to tell everyone what there problem is. SMACK

Last edited by Saturn : 01-27-2006 at 03:23 PM.

Stop thinking and the mind begins to think for itself.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #53
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Calm down Paige, you've lost your center. Don't be led in any further.

People don't have to be minors to be juvenile.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 01-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #54
Marnen
Dojo: Vassar College Aikido Club
United_States

Quote:
Trevor Wolfe wrote:
I think that reasoning for not telling anyone about you learning Aikido is something that people need to learn for themselves the hard way in some cases. The words "do not every tell anyone what you do" is not the first lesson in Aikido. People need to make that mistake and see why you shouldn't.
If I read this correctly, you're saying something like "Anyone who tells others about their aikido training is unsophisticated. Ah well...they'll learn one day." I hate to break it to you, but not everyone does things the same way, nor do they have to. And that's not necessarily unsophisticated.

Quote:
1. People will hit you with an annoying barrage of questions until the subject makes you sick.
[and three other reasons for keeping it secret]

Then keep it secret from people who will react badly. If I knew someone who hated everything Japanese, or was known for boorish reactions to martial artists, then I wouldn't go out of my way to tell him I practice aikido. On the other hand, if I can reasonably expect that the knowledge will be interesting to the person I'm telling, and if it won't hurt me for them to know, then I will be more than happy to tell them.

In other words: just as not everyone will react well to knowing you practice aikido, neither will everyone react badly to it. Tailor the message to the recipient, and absolutely never speak in absolutes.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:06 PM   #55
Saturn

Canada

Hmmmmm, subliminal messages. My words read like poetry to some.

Last edited by Saturn : 01-27-2006 at 08:09 PM.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #56
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

sorry trevor i think i side with others... ones practice of aikido should be neither secret or not secret... either extreme implies wrong thinking and motivations

"Rude awakening, I would have one if I just woke up and had you in my face going on about how anyone that is in martial arts except you should die, die, die.
I am Page and I am going to tell everyone what Aikido is and isn't because I am a 15th degree black belt in attitude and I am not afraid to tell everyone what there problem is. SMACK "

i can't find where paige or any one made such statements... perhaps you are trying to put your words in others mouths???

"1. People will hit you with an annoying barrage of questions until the subject makes you sick.
2. People will test you to see if your on the ready.
3. People will grab you and flick thier fingers at your eyes to see if you blink.
4. If you give in and show someone, whilst thinking of thier safety and not doing a lock or something hard on them they will try to prove to you it doesen't work and jerk thier hand away. Afterwards say see- it doesen't work, you suck, Aikido sucks and run around thinking themselves a king."

i cannot remember ever experiencing any of these reactions in all my years of practicing aikido and discussing it with anyone...

as i said to the original poster... if keeping your practice secret makes you feel somehow superior then you should meditate on this... likewise if revealing your practice makes you feel inferior then you should meditate on this as well...

Edwin Neal

Old 01-28-2006, 12:08 PM   #57
aikigirl10
United_States

Quote:
Trevor Wolfe wrote:
Well Page, your ego isn't very quiet at all is it. Rude awakening, I would have one if I just woke up and had you in my face going on about how anyone that is in martial arts except you should die, die, die.
I am Page and I am going to tell everyone what Aikido is and isn't because I am a 15th degree black belt in attitude and I am not afraid to tell everyone what there problem is. SMACK
well, hey i know i don't have to call you juvenile. You handled that yourself quite nicely.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #58
Saturn

Canada

There are different types of people out there, and to know whether it is a good idea to tell them what you do is something that has to be played by ear. Some don't care, some think it's interesting and then there are those who automatically think that means the need to prove themselves or harass you about it.

Everyone is different and the people they associate with are different, you can all say you should, or you shouldn't. At work you usually have no choice but to be in constant contact with people and some of those people are the ones that don't take this information so well. Then, there is the opposite. We can't say that everyone should say it, or that everyone shouldn't because either way it's egotistical or bragging. There are other factors involved sometimes.

I stated a list of reactions from my own expirience in an arguement I wish I had kept out of. I have to take responsibility for the things I say, and no what I said yesterday was not mature, I am sorry. Now then, alot of other people posting here have said some harsh things as well. I have seen the words idiot and stupid written a few times here. We are all busy telling each other we are wrong, egotistical, bragging, stupid, idiotic etc. But there are some things to consider, we all have different lives and associate with different people, and of course some react immaturely with this info. Best advice gathered for conclusion is don't carry MA weopons to work, learn to identify who the subject of your hobby should be brought up to and who shouldn't.

Alot of us including me get offended when someone disagrees, even if the disagreement is harsh one needs to take a look at whether what they say in return is for the benifit of the recipient- or themselves.

Paige, I took a look at what you originally said, and I twisted my perception of what I meant to say about quiet strength, and I saw exactly what you meant. Knowing and not saying anything to anyone about it ever, can leave a certain type of person feeling they can be pushy and egotistical around others depending on whether they are doing it for good reasons, or to quietly be able to think (this guy is busy telling me off but I know I could twist his arms off so I will treat him like trash) which is a really negative reason.
So as I said, we are all different, and know different people in different circumstances. What works for one may not for the other.

And again Paige I apoligize, also for spelling your name wrong.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:28 PM   #59
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

sorry if you have had bad experiences Trevor, but I have interacted with all types of people from all over the country and world and i have no really bad experiences with discussing my study of aikido...

1. People will hit you with an annoying barrage of questions until the subject makes you sick.
usually people get tired of me talking about aikido...
2. People will test you to see if your on the ready.
i usually say hey stop that...
3. People will grab you and flick thier fingers at your eyes to see if you blink.
grabbing... hmmm i usually "grab" back with a funny smile on my face...
4. If you give in and show someone, whilst thinking of thier safety and not doing a lock or something hard on them they will try to prove to you it doesen't work and jerk thier hand away. Afterwards say see- it doesen't work, you suck, Aikido sucks and run around thinking themselves a king. Who wants that, keep quiet.
if pressed i invite them to practice, or demonstrate orenai te (unbendable arm) or simple grip releases nothing more... okay sometimes i zing (mildly) with a nikkyo, but i never enjoy it (yes i do, no i don't... really ;-) )

Edwin Neal

Old 01-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #60
aikigirl10
United_States

Quote:
Trevor Wolfe wrote:
Paige, I took a look at what you originally said, and I twisted my perception of what I meant to say about quiet strength, and I saw exactly what you meant. Knowing and not saying anything to anyone about it ever, can leave a certain type of person feeling they can be pushy and egotistical around others depending on whether they are doing it for good reasons, or to quietly be able to think (this guy is busy telling me off but I know I could twist his arms off so I will treat him like trash) which is a really negative reason.
So as I said, we are all different, and know different people in different circumstances. What works for one may not for the other.

And again Paige I apoligize, also for spelling your name wrong.
I accept your apology , and i also apologize if i came off as rude or offensive , that wasn't my intention.

Let me try to make what i was saying a little bit clearer.

What i meant was, it's fine if you choose to keep your training a secret. I have no problem with that.

What I'm saying is... those who choose not to keep it a secret should never be considered novice for that reason. (which goes back to the whole bruce lee thing)

When you keep your art a secret and then think badly of all those that don't , thats when you get into the big ego. IMO.

*Paige*
Old 01-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #61
MattRice
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido

The reason I generally don't discuss my training is that, well...PEOPLE DON'T GIVE A CRAP! When I was a kid maybe (15 or so) I probably didn't realize this, but that was 20 years ago. It pretty obvious to me now that most people who don't train, could give a rats ass about your training.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #62
Simbo
United_States

My 2.34580yen, or 0.880200rupees (can anyone say fun with currency converters!), is that the first rule of Fight Club is "Don't talk about fight club", the first rule about Aikido (according to Saotome Sensei's Aikido and the Harmony of Nature) is to honor and follow the teachings of O Sensei.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 AM   #63
"shiete"
IP Hash: 57555613
Anonymous User

"When your ego starts to rise, that's the time you'll start to fall down, head first."

This was the quote said by my instructor to me 13 years ago. I can't forget it.

It's too difficult to learn anything if your ego is ahead of you.

One in Budo,

Shiete
Old 02-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #64
koz

Dojo: Kaiso Dobun Kenkyukai
New Zealand

Quote:
I try to resolve work problems, facilitate group discussions, and resolve conflicts through aiki ways.
Hell yes! Nothing resolves work problems like a good yonkyo!

True mastery can be gained
by letting things go their own way.

Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching, Ch48
Old 02-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #65
Simbo
United_States

Quote:
Paul Kozlovskis wrote:
Hell yes! Nothing resolves work problems like a good yonkyo!
"I second that motion"
"oh you do, do you? *KIAI* !!!!"

You'd be surprised at how much aikido philosophy you can pick up on at the end of the party when there's just a couple drunk sempai and you.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!