Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
kljohnson
Dojo: Jui Do Kai
Location: New Brunswick
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7
Canada
Offline
Tongue New Girl On The Block

Hey all, just thought I should introduce myself, since I'm a newbie and all.

I'm 22 Canadian, and I am currently training in a mixture of Aikido, Jui-Jitsu, Oyama, Kyukoshinkai, and Tae Kwon Do (Iron fist)

Just treat me like one of the guys. And if you come into the dojo, please please hit me like I'm a guy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
GreenLizzard
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 20
United_States
Offline
Ai symbol Re: New Girl On The Block

Welcome! Sounds like quite a mixture. So you must be training in something at least every day.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
mickeygelum
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
mickeygelum's Avatar
Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 502
United_States
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

Greetings and salutations...sounds like you have a full plate...what do you call this meal?

Mickey
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
akiy
 
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,814
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

Hi Kathy-Lynne,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
Location: Omaha
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 157
United_States
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

Hello and welcome. Hit you like a guy, treat you like a lady. Can do anytime! Again, welcome.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:00 AM   #6
kljohnson
Dojo: Jui Do Kai
Location: New Brunswick
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7
Canada
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

My meal is called Jui Do Kai, it's a really even mixture of the above mentioned arts. Thank You all so much for the welcome!

And for the most part I train three times a week, two hours a day. But the mental training is constant.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
Location: Omaha
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 157
United_States
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

Canadians!

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Location: Seattle
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 522
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

Not sure I want to hit you, you sound much more dangerous than me!

How are the different arts integrated? It sounds very interesting, if rather challenging.

Mary Kaye
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #9
Miss Amanda
 
Miss Amanda's Avatar
Dojo: SEISHIDOKAN AIKIDO DOJO
Location: NC
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5
United_States
Offline
Hey.

Welcome.
Nice mix.

Which one do you like most?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
kljohnson
Dojo: Jui Do Kai
Location: New Brunswick
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7
Canada
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

Quote:
Mary Kuhner wrote:
Not sure I want to hit you, you sound much more dangerous than me!

How are the different arts integrated? It sounds very interesting, if rather challenging.

Mary Kaye
I know this won't help much, but evenly. So hard to explain, Um, if you took the strong points of each, and balled them all together, like the most effective strikes, locks, throws from each style, then you'd be getting close. It's something you'd just have to see I guess. I'll work on a better example for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Location: Houston
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 608
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

Quote:
Kathy-Lynne Johnson wrote:
I know this won't help much, but evenly. So hard to explain, Um, if you took the strong points of each, and balled them all together, like the most effective strikes, locks, throws from each style, then you'd be getting close. It's something you'd just have to see I guess. I'll work on a better example for you.
Someone help me out. Wouldn't it be that an even blend of all those arts would be a new art? I know a group in a nearby city that practices 5 or 6 martial arts but they train and rank in them separately. All these arts are so big in themselves and take a lifetime to master, it seems to me that an even blend would be a small part of each and thus a new art.
Best,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
kljohnson
Dojo: Jui Do Kai
Location: New Brunswick
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7
Canada
Offline
Arrow Re: New Girl On The Block

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote:
Someone help me out. Wouldn't it be that an even blend of all those arts would be a new art? I know a group in a nearby city that practices 5 or 6 martial arts but they train and rank in them separately. All these arts are so big in themselves and take a lifetime to master, it seems to me that an even blend would be a small part of each and thus a new art.
Best,
I'll help you out, yes it is a new art.

Quote:
Kathy-Lynne Johnson wrote:
My meal is called Jui Do Kai, it's a really even mixture of the above mentioned arts. Thank You all so much for the welcome!

And for the most part I train three times a week, two hours a day. But the mental training is constant.
It is recognized by the federation. The founders each held multiple black belts in the previous mentioned styles, and found a beautiful way to combine their knowledge, and create a very effective art.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited by kljohnson : 01-08-2006 at 09:14 PM. Reason: html
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #13
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Location: Houston
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 608
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

Yes,
Thanks. I guess my point was that Aikido as an art is more than the raw techniques but it is also the way they are applied including the body movement, philosophy, etc. Also, it is a training which has an internally consistent way of moving as an example. As a budo, it can also have various internal applications in a person's life.The other arts you mentioned art the same. It might be more accurate to say that you are part of an art called Jui Do Kai that uses techniques from Aikido, Jui-Jitsu, Oyama, Kyukoshinkai, and Tae Kwon Do. I am suggesting that there is no even blend of those arts. Just a mixing of techniques from those arts. I don't know about the other arts but it may be a question if Aikido can be "blended " in one person with many other "Arts" and still be Aikido.
Best wishes and welcome to the forum!

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #14
RvW
Dojo: Shung Do Kwan, Geneva
Location: Geneva
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Switzerland
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

Kathy,

"Jui Do Kai" sounds very close to "Jukokai". Are they by any chance the same?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
kljohnson
Dojo: Jui Do Kai
Location: New Brunswick
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7
Canada
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

Quote:
Rob van Weelderen wrote:
Kathy,

"Jui Do Kai" sounds very close to "Jukokai". Are they by any chance the same?
no they are not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #16
kljohnson
Dojo: Jui Do Kai
Location: New Brunswick
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7
Canada
Offline
Re: New Girl On The Block

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote:
Yes,
Thanks. I guess my point was that Aikido as an art is more than the raw techniques but it is also the way they are applied including the body movement, philosophy, etc. Also, it is a training which has an internally consistent way of moving as an example. As a budo, it can also have various internal applications in a person's life.The other arts you mentioned art the same. It might be more accurate to say that you are part of an art called Jui Do Kai that uses techniques from Aikido, Jui-Jitsu, Oyama, Kyukoshinkai, and Tae Kwon Do. I am suggesting that there is no even blend of those arts. Just a mixing of techniques from those arts. I don't know about the other arts but it may be a question if Aikido can be "blended " in one person with many other "Arts" and still be Aikido.
Best wishes and welcome to the forum!

I understand what you are saying, and I'm not saying you are wrong. Aikido is something different to everyone, because we all have different perceptions. The spiritual side or philosophies of Aikido to me, is the same as the Tao, and therefore by precendent, seperate from Aikido, but part of it nonetheless, as Aikido evolved from Tao. Many of the internal applications of Aikido are not unique to Aikido.

You may be right in suggesting that it would be more accurate to say we use a mixture of techniques. But personally, I spend extra time with my Sensei (who is also my husband) on just Aikido. (As well as a few of the others) So for me to say it is an even blend, is not untrue, it is Jui Do Kai to my experience, and from my perspective.

When he teaches the students Aikido techniques, he teaches us to blend and see from the attackers view etc. He also teaches that these moves are not meant to harm, though they can, and can quite effectively. He teaches us one point and so on.

I'm not by any means trying to take away from Aikido, or water it down etc, I have the utmost respect for it. Neither is he, and he would do nothing but uphold it's reputation. But for me to accurately describe what it is we do, I would have to go on for weeks.

Thanks for the good wishes and warm welcome!

Kathy-Lynne
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido Center of Miami - Join us for Micheline Tissier March 22 & 23, 2014 in Miami, FL



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not so New Girl on the Block UnholyFracas Introductions 6 01-17-2006 05:50 AM
To block or not to block kokyu Techniques 30 07-19-2004 12:38 PM
When someone try to block you Carl Simard Training 34 10-23-2002 10:36 AM
not more atemis! - to block or not? ian Techniques 28 10-29-2000 10:05 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate