Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-23-2001, 02:55 PM   #1
Samuel Falvo
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo, Visa, CA
Question Umm...first introduction??

Hello!

My name is Samuel A. Falvo II, and I train with Ken Macbeth sensei, yondan, at Kenshinkan dojo in Vista, California. I'm currently 6 kyu, but my 5 kyu exam is "due any time now." (In other words, I haven't a clue when it'll be, but it could easily be tomorrow!) I am registered with the Aikido Association of America.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II
KC5TJA/6 DM13
Aikido: 6 kyu, Kenshinkan Dojo, member: AAA
Old 07-23-2001, 03:06 PM   #2
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Thumbs down Re: Umm...first introduction??

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Falvo
Hello!

My name is Samuel A. Falvo II, and I train with Ken Macbeth sensei, yondan, at Kenshinkan dojo in Vista, California. I'm currently 6 kyu, but my 5 kyu exam is "due any time now." (In other words, I haven't a clue when it'll be, but it could easily be tomorrow!) I am registered with the Aikido Association of America.
Hello Samuel!

....welcome to the Forum! ...best of luck on your upcoming test!

Regards,

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 07-23-2001, 03:37 PM   #3
guest1234
Hi Samuel!
Good luck on your test, rest while pinning your uke, and breathe through your nose
Old 07-23-2001, 03:39 PM   #4
Samuel Falvo
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by ca
Hi Samuel!
Good luck on your test, rest while pinning your uke, and breathe through your nose
I wish I could rest while pinning uke -- pinning isn't the problem -- it's getting them into ikkyo to begin with!!

--
Samuel A. Falvo II
KC5TJA/6 DM13
Old 07-23-2001, 03:43 PM   #5
mj
Hi Samuel
Welcome to the forum....
For God's sake don't Ever listen to anyone that posts on it

Old 07-23-2001, 03:54 PM   #6
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States
when doing ikkyo, always be sure to stand on tiptoes and use all upper body muscle, while holding your breath. For the pin, slap them on the back, saying "hey buddddddy" until they tap out.

Hmm.... take Mark's advice

Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 07-23-2001, 04:05 PM   #7
guest1234
Quote:

I wish I could rest while pinning uke -- pinning isn't the problem -- it's getting them into ikkyo to begin with!!
Bribes my friend, bribes! The promise of a good sushi dinner for your test uke goes a long way....
On second thought, listen to mj.
Old 07-23-2001, 04:09 PM   #8
mj
Quote:
Originally posted by mj
Hi Samuel
Welcome to the forum....
For God's sake don't Ever listen to anyone that posts on it
Especially me!

Old 07-23-2001, 04:37 PM   #9
guest1234
yes, especially him!
Old 07-23-2001, 04:42 PM   #10
Jim23
Quote:
Originally posted by ca

Bribes my friend, bribes! The promise of a good sushi dinner for your test uke goes a long way....
On second thought, listen to mj.
Just remember to dip the nigiri sushi fish-side-down.

DON'T EVER listen to mj!!! Listen to ME ... um ... listen to mj!

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 07-23-2001, 05:29 PM   #11
Samuel Falvo
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick
when doing ikkyo, always be sure to stand on tiptoes and use all upper body muscle, while holding your breath. For the pin, slap them on the back, saying "hey buddddddy" until they tap out.

Hmm.... take Mark's advice

Nick
Actually, I've been given some hints and tricks in ikkyo last Friday by a fellow student (who, though only shokyu, should really be shodan -- he's a great guy and a great teacher!). The problem is I kept pushing people back from where I initially took their balance.

This means, in not so many words, that while body mechanics were OK, I wasn't stepping off the line.

Nonetheless, it's something I need to practice....and practice...and practice some more.

On an interesting aside, I was researching some websites on ninjitsu, which is an art that intrigues me. Not sure if I want to study it five years hence (I want at least nidan in aikido before I even consider taking up another art), but you cannot deny that the art is fascinating. Anyway, I saw a site where it said, paraphrased, "Ninjitsu is a relatively rare art in the U.S. Should you move far enough from the dojo so as to discontinue your training in ninjitsu, and you wish to continue training, we recommend aikido, as aiki concepts are very important to ninjitsu." I found bit of advice to be rather interesting.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II
KC5TJA/6 DM13
Old 07-23-2001, 06:26 PM   #12
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States
that's quite interesting, though I would be wary of people claiming to teach "ninjutsu"... many are ever so happy to proclaim themselves ninja masters, etc, over the internet, but when asked for credentials, etc, cry "it's a ninja secret!"

If it's so secret, don't tell the world. Sheesh.

Best of luck in your studies, wherever they take you...

Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 07-24-2001, 12:18 AM   #13
Samuel Falvo
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick
that's quite interesting, though I would be wary of people claiming to teach "ninjutsu"... many are ever so happy to proclaim themselves ninja masters, etc, over the internet, but when asked for credentials, etc, cry "it's a ninja secret!"

If it's so secret, don't tell the world. Sheesh.
This site gave full credentials of the sensei right on their website. I know what you mean about the whole "secret ninja stuff", but this site was impressively complete and quite open.

Too bad the dojo is too far from where I live to attend.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II
KC5TJA/6 DM13
Old 07-24-2001, 01:48 AM   #14
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Shodan means Beginning level not first Dan - what does Shokyu mean?

By the way if you go to the Bad Budo forum on http://www.e-budo.com you can find a whole slew of web sites with long lists of qualifications that don't mean squat. It may all be legit but be careful.

I have friends here in Osaka that practice Ninjitsu as Budo. They train hard, have a good practical mind, and are fulfilled by what they do. I know better than to play my art is more legit than yours but then there are also some dress up groups that are down right silly. Watch a few practices of different arts, different styles, and then follow your gut. Web sites and popular flavor of the moment are not the way to go.

Last edited by PeterR : 07-24-2001 at 02:33 AM.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-30-2001, 12:41 PM   #15
Samuel Falvo
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterR
Shodan means Beginning level not first Dan - what does Shokyu mean?
Shodan, literally translated, does mean 1 dan, or "first level." Shokyu, therefore, would mean 1 kyu (just as gokyu means 5 kyu, and rokukyu is 6 kyu, etc). I know a family who just arrived from Japan and is now operating a Japanese restaurant, and I've had a similar discussion with them in the past. (In fact, I get free food from them all the time because I practice aikido, and when I last passed my "rokukyu" [their word!] test, I didn't have to pay at all for my meal.)

Quote:
right silly. Watch a few practices of different arts, different styles, and then follow your gut. Web sites and popular flavor of the moment are not the way to go.
Of course. This is how I found aikido.

Last edited by Samuel Falvo : 07-30-2001 at 12:43 PM.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II
KC5TJA/6 DM13
Old 07-30-2001, 02:25 PM   #16
Erik
Curiousity got the better of me so I ran it through my handy dandy online language translator and it came back with

lowest grade, first grade

Interestingly, most online translators didn't even recognized the word. I also had one other translation that came up first dan.

I've never heard of shokyu used in this context. Methinks, virtually everyone uses ikkyu. I think, Samuel, that you will probably be operating in your own little world (not necessarily bad) using this term but then again, maybe somewhere someone.... Anyone linguistically inclined and with a better source than the local Japanese restaurant owners care to comment?

Last edited by Erik : 07-30-2001 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:42 PM   #17
Samuel Falvo
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik
I've never heard of shokyu used in this context. Methinks, virtually everyone uses ikkyu. I think, Samuel, that you will probably be operating in your own little world (not necessarily bad) using this term
OK, this makes sense. It could be a localization that they use. I'll have to ask them about it.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II
KC5TJA/6 DM13
Old 07-30-2001, 04:12 PM   #18
Erik
Quote:
OK, this makes sense. It could be a localization that they use. I'll have to ask them about it.
I did run shokyu through as well and it came up as elementary level. So it makes some sense that context may matter but I make no claims to having any Japanese language skills.

Someone just sent me the following:

Sho means beginning or start. Sho dan is roughly "beginning of the dan
rank". Probably used instead of "ichidan" to indicate the entrance to the
"elite" dan ranks. I wouldn't think of sho being a translation for "first".

Ikkyu through yonkyu are just ordinal indicators: "1st" "2nd" "3rd" "4th"
techniques. Since there aren't prerequisite techniques, they probably just
started counting them from 1.

Never heard of "shokyu".

Last edited by Erik : 07-30-2001 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:42 PM   #19
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
ok for translation I here babeltranslater.com ( I think that is it but would have to check ) you can translate whole websites.... I have never used it but friends like it so... any how pay respects to douglas adams for that notion of the babel fish!!!! any how have fun!

Dallas Adolphsen

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com