Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-21-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
andrew12159
United_States
U.S. Aikido Federation

Does anyone have info. on this org?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States
Re: U.S. Aikido Federation

Info....like what?

www.usaikifed.com

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 11-21-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
giriasis
United_States

To answer your question there several people on this board who actively train in on of these dojos. I train under Peter Bernath at Florida Aikikai and we are part of the Eastern Region. You see there are three main divisions of the USAF: Eastern, Western and Midwest.

See also:

Aikido East

usaf west

usaf mac

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #4
BC

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
You see there are three main divisions of the USAF: Eastern, Western and Midwest.

Not any more...

Robert Cronin
Old 11-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

Technically, the USAF consists of four sections; the three Ann Marie mentions, plus the "Non-regionally Affiliated Dojos". There's also some recogniton of Hawaiian dojos in there somewhere.

"BC", I'm not certain what you're referring to when you say, "Not any more...". Are you talking about the problems in the Midwest section?

Jim Baker

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 11-23-2005, 01:21 PM   #6
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

Quote:
Jim Baker wrote:
Technically, the USAF consists of four sections; the three Ann Marie mentions, plus the "Non-regionally Affiliated Dojos". There's also some recogniton of Hawaiian dojos in there somewhere.

"BC", I'm not certain what you're referring to when you say, "Not any more...". Are you talking about the problems in the Midwest section?

Jim Baker
It should also be noted that the three "sections" that Anne Marie mentioned, although once genuinely regional, aren't really regional anymore except to the extent that the "region" identifies the part of the country in which the Shihan of that division is based, and that dojo in the putative "Midwest section" have been realigning with West and East (i.e with Chiba or Yamada) if they stay within the USAF umbrella. That is a substantial "if." There have also been a number of dojo that have chosen other paths within the considerably larger umbrella of Aikikai Hombu affiliation.

There are some eminently pragmatic reasons why a dojo might choose one of the possible "other paths." Entirely aside from personalities and politics, it's not like Yamada and Chiba have a secret stash of weekends to add to their already busy regional seminar schedules, and it's perfectly understandable for dojo to want to have fairly regular contact with their shihan, whoever he might be.

The historical perspective is that a) there seem to be upper bounds on the functional size of administrative units, b) there's always at least one schism in the wake of a power vacuum, c) there's no reasonable basis for any expectation that a Japanese Shihan can appoint his own successor in the United States and make it stick with all of his students. Although maybe I should just take the words Japanese and United States out of that last sentence.

People are ornery.

Fred Little
Old 11-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
BC

I was referencing the non-regional affiliations. The dojo where I practice is classified as such.

I'm not aware of any more problems in the Midwest.

Robert Cronin
Old 11-23-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Fred Little wrote:
c) there's no reasonable basis for any expectation that a Japanese Shihan can appoint his own successor in the United States and make it stick with all of his students. Although maybe I should just take the words Japanese and United States out of that last sentence.

People are ornery.

Fred Little
Yes, this is a problem, even when everybody is Japanese, just look at what has happened with Hikitsuchi Sensei's dojo at Shingu. But it is a serious issue in the US. there are a number of highly trained American (of non-japanese ancestry) teachers who will have a tough time when their Japanese Shihan passes away. Why? For most people their authority came from the Shihan and the students' investment in their authority. Despite the fact that these teachers chose to come here and train instructors for the last thirty five years or so, most American students of the art still have that fascination with the Japanese mystique.

We've had three expos and seen many of the senior instructors in the US but how many people are aware that there is an African American 8th Dan in Yoshinkai style Aikido? No where have we seen Amos Parker Sensei...

People are generally intersted in experiencing more of what Yamaguchi Sensei had to offer. He is indeed one of the legendary teachers... When his student Takeda Sensei came to North America all sorts of people travelled at great expense to attend his seminars. Yet we've had Gleason Sensei at our dojo every year for seven years and those every same folks have never even come to see what he does. Not once.

People are going to have to wake up. We have been turning out some top notch folks for quite a while now and the trend in Japan is in the other direction (apologies to all my friends who are training there with some very excellent instructors). Japan is not going to be able to supply a new generation of Japanese Shihan who the senior Americans will treat with any degree of seriousness. We have our own. But the general Aikido public needs to realize what we have right here on our doorstep and not invest this mythic authority in some instructor just because he is Japanese. The Japanese Shihan who came over from Japan have made their lives here training their direct students. They aren't asking Japan to send over someone to take over. We are very close to having Aikido become truly Americanized in the sense that we will be training with our own home grown teachers. This isn't any kind of shock in California where the top American instructors have been doing their thing for decades but it will be a shock when all of the national orgaizations are run by home grown teachers. If we don't get our acts together it will be chaos. And our own folks need to prepare themselves for the event that leadership will be thrust on them. They've been given the goods and they will have to step up to the plate and make something happen.

Last edited by George S. Ledyard : 11-23-2005 at 06:07 PM.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 12-03-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Ledyard Sensei, the above post is a good one. It takes a set of stones to be so forthright. When the preeminent deshi of O'Sensei are gone, what will remain? The "next generation" of teachers need to get their props. Some have earned it, perhaps others have not. I'm still struggling to learn the difference.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia

Dont forget us,... Latin America Aikido Federation is also under umbrella of USAF

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 12-04-2005, 08:16 AM   #11
giriasis
United_States

Regarding the "successor" issue I think this is part of the reason for Chiba Sensei's Biranki organization and Yamada Sensei's recent promotion of some of our shidoin to shihan. If you read in Aikido East Yamada sensei mentions this.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:26 AM   #12
Josh Reyer

Japan

If it's not too inappropriate to ask, can anyone tell me what happened to the MAF? Twin Cities Aikido Center used to part of MAF, but when I visited once after returning to the U.S. in 2001, I was told they were no longer a member dojo.

Reading some posts here, I've gathered that there was some sort of succession problem following Tohei Akira shihan's death, but I don't know any specifics.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 12-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #13
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

Succession always seems to be tricky. But I don't worry about it too much. As a member of the USAF east that lives close enough to Montreal to go to most of the seminars at Aikido de la Montagne, I have already experienced a lot of interaction and mutual support between those of the next generation of "homegrown" leaders. Since Kanai sensei's death, Claude Berthiaume has kept up the regular seminars (Kanai used to come four times a year) by inviting the other "new" shihan such as Donovan Waite and Harvey Koenigsburg as well as some high level shidoin to teach. I just hope the cooperation they are showing will continue for years to come.

Last edited by JO : 12-22-2005 at 06:30 PM.

Jonathan Olson

Please visit our sponsor:

Hellenic Aikido Foundation - International Aikido Summer Camp - Greece July 2014