Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
brianlkennedy
Tibet
Greetings from Taiwan

Hi,
My name is Brian Kennedy and I have lived in Taiwan for the past 13 years. Over that time I have done a bit of BJJ, western boxing, xingyi and Yang taijiquan.

I got interested in this forum because I had heard good things about it and because BJJ, xingyi, taijiquan and aikido probably have a number of common core concepts.

Here in Taiwan I teach American criminal law. My Taiwanese wife and I do a regular column for Classical Fighting arts magazine (usually on some aspect of Chinese martial arts history) and she and I have recently release a book on the history of chinese martial arts training manuals.

take care,
Brian
Old 11-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Greetings from Taiwan

Hi Brian,

Welcome to AikiWeb. If you get a chance, please tell us about the book that you wrote...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Tom54
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Japan

Hello Brian

Are you the author of "Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals: A Historical Survey"?

In this case, I've bought your book(pre-ordered it). Although it is not in my hands yet.

Recently I have began to read in Chinese materials about martial art.
And I have also read the book written by Ma Ming-Da, which was also listed in your book. And that was the major reason that I have decided to buy your book.

Ma Ming-Da is an astonishing historian. His book "Shuojian conggao(discourse of the sword)" was the best read that I had for several years.

Love to hear your opinion about it
welcome to Aiki web
Old 11-20-2005, 02:54 AM   #4
brianlkennedy
Tibet

Hi Jun, Tom,
Yes, the Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals book is the one my wife and I did. Oh, and my brother tells me that Amazon has (as of Friday) started shipping the book.

And yes, I think Ma Ming-da is an outstanding martial arts historian and his various books/articles were an important resource for my wife and I to use in our book. We quote Prof. Ma in a number of different places, including the chapter on Imperial military examinations. A friend of mine, Stan Henning, knows Prof. Ma personally and says that Prof. Ma is not only a great historian but also "good people" in a personal sense. Lion Books here in Taiwan about a year ago released a two volume set of Prof. Ma's research articles.

take care,
Brian
Old 11-21-2005, 03:04 AM   #5
Tom54
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Japan

[quote=Brian Kennedy] Oh, and my brother tells me that Amazon has (as of Friday) started shipping the book.

Lion Books here in Taiwan about a year ago released a two volume set of Prof. Ma's research articles.

QUOTE]

That's a good news I can't hardly wait.
And I have also ordered the two books published by the Lion Books.I am reading it now.

Looking forward that I can discuss with you many things and that I have the occasion to learn from you through these discussions.

Take care yourself!

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com