Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-06-2001, 09:08 PM   #1
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
News from the Front

Well this is now my fourth day at Shodokan Aikido Honbu in Osaka having arrived Sunday evening.

By the time we got to the Hotel on Sunday evening it was way to late to go to the Dojo which considering the travails of jet lag was just as well.

As an aside I highly recommend Hotel California in Shinsaibashi. Central, not so expensive, and not big (read good service). The rooms were very comfortable. I booked before I left via http://www.japanhotel.net/

Because we (myself, wife and daughter) are staying three months we decided to get an apartment, that took about three days to arrange and through connections managed to avoid key money (can be up to six months rent) but not the real estate agent's commission (one months rent). I am told that perhaps we could have gotten a slightly better deal but I wanted to
get out of the hotel and as of now I have a two story apartment right in the center of the city. For info the total cost of rent, commission and
a fixed utility amount is 390,000 yen which they wanted in advance. The Japanese are paying me a relatively generous allowance while I am here so this is no problem. We also put my daughter in the Japanese school while we are here so she has a chance to bring her Japanese back up to scratch.

Monday night was my first Aikido session. At five o'clock I was dead on my feet mainly due to jet lag. I almost bailed however once warmed up I
was wide awake. I only went for the first two hour class (figured I better get some sleep) and then went for some sushi and beer. Slept like a baby and the effects of jet lag seem to have disappeared. Based on previous experience - exercise is a great way to recover your balance. My first impression of the class was that physically it was much easier than what I put my people through and what I remember from
before. Sure I was sweating like a pig but hey it was the humidity. Well, the three Aikido sessions so far, the moving around of suitcases,
the slightly different way of doing things (way more basic exercises, more randori, fewer techniques but more time per set), and the fact that I am student rather than teacher, culminated this morning we me lying paralyzed on my futon. I think the only thing I managed to do was whimper. Worse yet, as I slowly recovered my senses, the kendo practice from the school next door was making itself heard. I felt hate, real hate.

My body will adjust. The dojo was like returning home after a long trip. Kohei that I had nursed along have moved up the kyu grades and
the welcome was very warm by everybody. I missed these people.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-06-2001, 10:29 PM   #2
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Peter,

I'm a bit jealous. I understand about missing those folks. There are quite a few friends that I miss seeing also. Wouldn't it be great if we could have that "dream dojo" where all the people we value and love to train with would be there often. I'm lucky that I have a strong dojo here in the states, but I miss friends from Japan a lot.

Take care and enjoy.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 06-07-2001, 06:53 AM   #3
Sam
Dojo: Kyogikan Sheffield
Glad things worked out for you Peter, esp with the accomodation.
See you in August!
Old 06-07-2001, 07:02 AM   #4
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Smile Re: News from the Front

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterR
Well this is now my fourth day at Shodokan Aikido Honbu in Osaka having arrived Sunday evening.
KAMI : Best regards and very good keiko, Peter!
Ubaldo

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 06-07-2001, 07:06 PM   #5
PeterR

Japan
Speaking of accomodation - have you worked yours out. I can offer a crash for a couple of nights.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Glad things worked out for you Peter, esp with the accomodation.
See you in August!

Old 06-10-2001, 07:26 PM   #6
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada
Cool

Hi Peter,
Wishing you some good hard training!
Hope we get a chance to cross paths again when you get back to La Belle Province.
Salut

Jonathan Olson
Old 06-11-2001, 04:19 AM   #7
Sam
At the moment were booked in to stay at the orange house. Thanks for the offer of somewhere to stay for a night though - its always nice to know you won't be on your own.

We will probably turn up at the dojo first to rendezvous with Mike - hopefully we will bump into you there....
Old 06-11-2001, 06:43 PM   #8
PeterR

Japan
Don't, whatever you do, show up to the dojo with suitcases. It's happened in the past and you don't want to be placed in that catagory. Even if you have a place to stay arranged the immediate assumption is that damm we're going to have to take care of this guy.

I'm sure you weren't going to and in any case Orqange House is easy to find.

I am at the dojo every day.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam

We will probably turn up at the dojo first to rendezvous with Mike - hopefully we will bump into you there....

Old 06-13-2001, 06:29 AM   #9
Sam
Thanks for the advice Peter, we sure won't do that. Hopefully people should know we are coming and have a place to stay. Also I think that Phil Newcome will write us a letter of reference so Nariyama Sensei knows what is going on.

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches