Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 02:12 AM   #426
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
Location: Cortland, NY
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 976
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

... you went to Etsunen Geiko even though the roads were lousy (although not so bad coming back).

.... you were mad the year you skipped E.G. because of a cold.

... you started this thread four years ago.

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #427
Linda Eskin
 
Linda Eskin's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
Location: San Diego County, California
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 325
United_States
Offline
Tongue Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

...you get your hair cut, but tell your stylist that it still has to be long enough to stay in a pony tail (and out of your eyes) when you train. (The poor guy is at least used to my messed up hairstyle priorities. I also need a style that can be dried with the car's air vents. )

...you scheduled your haircut around Aikido training, and left an extra hour between so you could stay after class and practice more.

...you have an ice pack (ice in a plastic bag from 7/11) on your knee while you're getting your hair cut, because you landed on it screwy doing ukemi for ikkyo ura the night before.

...you're being really aggressive about icing your ouchy knee because you're going to an Aikido seminar next weekend, and don't want to miss out on any of it.

...the first thing you do when you get home is read AikiWeb.

Sheesh...

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My AikiBlog

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #428
Geri Coop
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4
England
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

You turn down a great job because it would mean missed practice nights; and mourn a good teacher accepting a contract that means he's away half the week.

You begin by travelling six hours twice a week to practise; then start camping in the car and working via dongle to practise three times for the cost of one return journey; then break the bank to move, leaving friends, family and work, so as to practise four times a week; which then became five times a week because a new club started up close enough...

You study neuro linguistic programming and say oh, it's just aikido!

You implement conference calls instead of away meetings (for sustainability and cost savings, of course) in case travel delays cause you to miss practice.

You see a yudansha using a neat nikkyo to confiscate an item from his seven-year-old and consider Aikido in Parenting classes to grow the dojo.

You buy your flat because its high ceiling and open plan are big enough for jo practice.

You tackle calves with aiki nage; shift feed sacks with koshi nage; and redefine horsemanship as pure aikido.

You tap at the painful spots when receiving shiatsu [but the shiatsuka who is also your sensei laughs, "Doesn't work on this mat!].

You organise conferences in locations where there are dojos you'd like to visit and design the programme so you can go to practice while everyone else is at the dinner.

You have chronic ‘injuries' because recovery means no aikido.

A relationship is unlikely because the only aikidoka you know are married and who else would understand? Even then it would have to be someone with tai sabaki as good as your favourite yudansha, otherwise what would be the point of all those hours together?

Your sports physio stops bothering to say, "rest it" and shows you how to splint and rigid-tape instead (and gives you frequency discount).

You still get to the dojo in a blizzard and don't understand why no one else is there.

You're on this forum because it's the night of the week with no practice.

Someone says, "why do you do it?" and your answer is, "because I can't bear not to."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #429
Shadowfax
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 882
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Quote:
and redefine horsemanship as pure aikido.
lol horsemanship is pure aikido.

Quote:
You tap at the painful spots when receiving shiatsu
reminds me of a recent conversion in which a co-worker asked me to use some of my shitzu on someone who was bugging him....

.... you look forward to seeing your chiropractor on Monday so you can have more really good ukemi on Tuesday meaning you will probably need to see the chiro again on wed...

While working on a horses feet you realize that front feet are upside down kote gaeshi and hind feet are Nikkyo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #430
Diane Stevenson
Location: Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 41
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

You check the "you might be an Aikido addict if" thread first thing after a long absence from the forums.

Your new non-MA facebook contacts constantly ask, "what the heck is a dojo?'

One friend get so tired of your poorly spelled mat-japanese, that he threatens Japanese language lessons.

You seriously consider his offer.

Having good enough conditioning/ukemi to put a sweat on your sempai leaves you with a happy/shiny feeling for days.

You keep a roll of athletic tape in your purse just in case.

You have a dedicated spot in your freezer for re-usable ice packs.

Your teenage children -- and their friends-- all raise their hands and slowly back away when you say, "here, grab my wrist!"

Your best chat time with your youngest child is in the car on the way to and from the dojo.

You bring your bokken and jo to the fitness club because the basketball court has really high ceilings and it's way too hot/cold/rainy to practice outside.

...not as evil as I could be
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #431
Shadowfax
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 882
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

hmmmm

Ok you make an emergency appointment with your massage therapist/chiropractor because you are in too much pain to be able to take good Ukemi at tonight's class, which is scheduled just two hours after said appointment.....

I have to say doing aikido right after a massage is really kinda nice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #432
Linda Eskin
 
Linda Eskin's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
Location: San Diego County, California
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 325
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

...if you're bummed that you have to miss Aikido tonight, even though it's for a 90-minute massage.

It's some consolation that there are two classes tomorrow.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My AikiBlog

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #433
Linda Eskin
 
Linda Eskin's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
Location: San Diego County, California
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 325
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Quote:
Linda Eskin wrote: View Post
...if you're bummed that you have to miss Aikido tonight, even though it's for a 90-minute massage.
HA! Massage just got rescheduled, which means I get to go to class *AND* have a massage. Joy!

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My AikiBlog

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #434
chunie
Dojo: Sho Shin Aikido Dojo
Location: Amsterdam
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 27
Netherlands
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

You lightly 'lean' on to your bike's handlebars like you hold your bokken... just so lightly. No, not with two hands on one side
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #435
OwlMatt
 
OwlMatt's Avatar
Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
Location: Wisconsin
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 401
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Quote:
Chuntug Taguba wrote: View Post
You lightly 'lean' on to your bike's handlebars like you hold your bokken... just so lightly. No, not with two hands on one side
Or if you hold the bike's handlebars with your pointer fingers sticking out into the air.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #436
wideawakedreamer
 
wideawakedreamer's Avatar
Dojo: Bu Yuu Kan dojo
Location: Davao City
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 127
Philippines
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

You secretly wish you'd fall off your bike so you'd have an excuse to try ukemi on the road

or

You have fallen off your bike and have taken ukemi on the road - and you're not the least bit injured.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #437
chunie
Dojo: Sho Shin Aikido Dojo
Location: Amsterdam
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 27
Netherlands
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Quote:
Rafael Ayala wrote: View Post
You secretly wish you'd fall off your bike so you'd have an excuse to try ukemi on the road

or

You have fallen off your bike and have taken ukemi on the road - and you're not the least bit injured.
Don't secretly like to fall of my bike, but had to make some back falls on icy, snowy or sandy roads here in the Netherlands, no serious injuries thx to ukemi

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
Or if you hold the bike's handlebars with your pointer fingers sticking out into the air.
Nah, just pointing forward
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #438
JCT53
Dojo: Just This Aikido
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 59
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Quote:
Virginia Lewis wrote: View Post
1. When you see a strait wooden stick, such as a broken broom handle, you automatically refer to it as a jo.
I do that!!! In fact, I was at a friends house the other night and her mom told me to help pick up things in the yard.I went out and I saw that my friend was close to a long, straight tree branch and told her "Pick up the jo behind you before you step on it!" She turned around, picked up the stick and glared at me while saying "This is a stick!! Not a jo!!!!" (She is tired of me referring to objects as jo's) I guess I should be a little less Aiki-weapon fanatical around her

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #439
JCT53
Dojo: Just This Aikido
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 59
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

1) You ask yor friends for their hands so you can throw kotegaeshi (nicely of course

2) You look at a low wall or object and think "Can I front roll fall over that?"

3) Your friends come to your dojo to give you things because they never miss you there.

4) When you go to school your friends ask "Which black belt threw the crap out of you this time?"

5) Your friends have learned to run when you say "Hey, I learned a cool move at class!" (The most common for me )

6) You see fights and think "Oooh, Iriminage would be good there"

7) The voice(s) inside your head tell you Aikido related information and sound an awful lot like sensei

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #440
ellie
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

You refuse to go to the hospital after getting injured at aikido because it may mean you miss more aikido.

You get annoyed when your mum books train tickets to a 2-day aikido seminar during an aikido lesson.

You accidently go into ukemi when doing a backdrop at trampolining.

Your parents/friends/teachers are all scared of you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #441
erikniit
Location: Tallinn
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
Estonia
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

When after training you are actually a lot more energetic and lively than before.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #442
Anth
Dojo: UKAU (Peterlee)
Location: Peterlee, Co. Durham
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

You open doors with unbendable arms.
You don't know what day it is when you've missed a training session.
Plan your eye-wear by training sessions (contact lenses in on a training day, specs non-training).
Your workmates know what the difference in eye-wear means.
You walk into work looking absolutely knackered and your workmates simply ask "decent training session last night?"
You sit in seiza while rummaging through the fridge.
You tai-sabaiki or tenkan turn around people who get in your way while walking down the street or at work.
You watch Doshu videos, working out the techniques he's doing in quiet spells at work.
You keep looking for locks and pins when doing karate kumite.
You wonder where the kamiza is in a karate dojo - even if you're taking the class.
You ask your karate sensei "why block it when I can just tenchi-nage him?"
You keep a range of knee, elbow and wrist straps in the glovebox of your car.

Think that will do for now...
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #443
Shadowfax
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 882
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

...if your car dies on the way to the dojo and you biggest concern is making it in time for class.

You get the tow truck driver to take you to the dojo after he tows your car to his garage, and you are only 5 minutes late.

and in spite of the fact you have no vehicle for almost three weeks you still don't miss a single class....


if the first thing you do after getting your new car is look for cool aikido bumper stickers.

Last edited by Shadowfax : 09-11-2010 at 07:05 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #444
sarahfiechtner
Dojo: Aikido of Modesto
Location: Modesto, CA
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

-You have more fun at an Aikido Seminar than on normal vacations
-When sitting on a chair, you think of how you'd roll if it fell backwards
-you bow to people instead of shaking hands
-you take online college courses so classes don't interfer with dojo training times
-you think the shortest distance between two points is rolling
-you rearrange your living room furniture to accomodate Aikido practice
-you think of ways you could use Aikido at your soccer game

And I've only been doing aikido for 8 months

Is it bad if I hope I never recover from this addiction?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #445
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
Location: Cortland, NY
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 976
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Quote:
Sarah Fiechtner wrote: View Post
-You have more fun at an Aikido .... Is it bad if I hope I never recover from this addiction?
If it's the worst addiction you have, then no, it's not. Trust me, there is worse out there.

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #446
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
Location: Cortland, NY
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 976
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

... you've taken six road trips this year and three of them involved going to Aikido seminars. (Only three? I know, but I'm trying. One of the others was to Sifu Dan Inosanto, so at least it's martial arts.)

.... you just got back from a seminar with Doshu.

... you're already thinking about next year's seminar, and weighing Aikido against Sifu Francis Fong -- there are conflicts, and I haven't seen him in years.

... you think it is awesome your new yukyusha book has its firnst entry in it.

... you started this thread almost five years ago, and its survival makes you feel like a proud poppa.

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #447
Lulu
 
Lulu's Avatar
Dojo: Whittier Aikikai
Location: So Cal
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 23
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

I think that I replied to this once before, not sure.
Anyway the one about having to tell your stylist you need to put your hair in a pontail for training OMG That's me! killed me.

And the one about Aikido Seminars being more fun than regular vacations - well - me again. For years - the only trips I ever took were Aikido centered..

Thanks for keeping this thread alive
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #448
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 134
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

you skip class because your shoulder is messed up and you feel guilty about it.

And all before deciding not to go, you keep trying to rationalize ways you can practice and not make it worse.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #449
susanmarie
Dojo: Northern Illinois Aikikai
Location: Dekalb, Il
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
United_States
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
you skip class because your shoulder is messed up and you feel guilty about it.

And all before deciding not to go, you keep trying to rationalize ways you can practice and not make it worse.
So I guess if you go anyway, you're not only an addict, but a foolish one at that. Not that I, ahem, know anyone who's done such a thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #450
shakou
 
shakou's Avatar
Dojo: Ronin Aikido Association
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 43
England
Offline
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

When you're holding hands with your significant other and trying hard not to ten-kan sumi-otoshi her in the supermarket......all that forward motion is a hard thing to resist
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Instructor got mad because I didnt fall actoman Training 192 05-02-2012 02:55 AM
Aikido in Amsterdam, Terry Lax style... tiyler_durden General 11 11-03-2008 08:31 AM
Women and Everybody Else in Aikido George S. Ledyard Teaching 113 03-16-2008 07:27 PM
Dilution of aikido eugene_lo General 40 02-07-2006 11:22 AM
Omoto-kyo Theology senshincenter Spiritual 77 12-04-2005 09:50 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:21 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate