Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
Location: Clive, IA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 75
United_States
Offline
Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...090300165.html

What does everyone think of this? I personally feel that it took too long to get help to people and that more could have been done to prevent this disaster. But, I don't think a rap artist is all of a sudden an expert on politics, or knows the president's true intentions. He should go back and do what he does best; making music.

Did I vote for Bush? Nope. But, it does get a little redundant when people blame all the world's problems on him. Somewhere down the line other people are responsible too. In fact, isn't the mayor of New Orleans African American? I'm not sure of this but I thought he was.

Anywho, I think first and foremost the city governments are responsible for a city. (Imagine that for a concept) Think about if the president had to get involved in every problem in every major city; he would have to be a god. He is only a man. I think people who support this president or not do really deify him in a way.

-God bless the people who were all touched by this terrible disaster. May we be better prepared for events such as this in the future.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
Hogan
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 106
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

I like Chris Rock's later outburst in a similar, later program:

"George Bush hates midgets".
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 02:28 AM   #3
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 225
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Kanye West bravely stood up to the mic and went off-script to speak what most African-American's already know.

It's plain as day: Bush hates black folks. You can see it in his policies--his budgetary slashes of funds to the poor (the majority of Af-Am's) as if he's some drunken spectre of death on a toot; his security's appallingly poor treatment of S. African's in his visit there; in his snubbing of the NAACP; in his closed-door policy to the Congressional Black Caucus, etc, etc.

Katrina merely pulled back the facade that most already knew: whatever the concerns of the poor, W is too busy...he needs his lil' nap.

Personally, I say bravo, Kanye.

And I'm sorry, but I think that the President of the most powerful country IS responsible, when a monster the size of the Gulf of Mexico ravages the poorest area in the country! Call me a wild speculator, but I think that a fellow who appoints a horse judge to be head of the Fed org. charged to tackle this monster has much to answer for.

And the comparisons to Iraq are becoming uncomfortably close. First, the Army Times calls Katrina victims an "insurgency." Then, you have to consider that half the LA national guard, all of their amphibious vehicles and all but 2 of their helicopters are over fighting the good fight in Iraq (which was started by...).

Now today, interviewers discovered that Blackwater is now deploying in New Orleans.

Quote:
New Orleans - Heavily armed paramilitary mercenaries from the Blackwater private security firm, infamous for their work in Iraq, are openly patrolling the streets of New Orleans. Some of the mercenaries say they have been "deputized" by the Louisiana governor; indeed some are wearing gold Louisiana state law enforcement badges on their chests and Blackwater photo identification cards on their arms. They say they are on contract with the Department of Homeland Security and have been given the authority to use lethal force. Several mercenaries we spoke with said they had served in Iraq on the personal security details of the former head of the US occupation, L. Paul Bremer and the former US ambassador to Iraq, John Negroponte.
It's more than a little eerie, the comparisons.

Big question for the Bush'ster: hey there, Mr. CinC: why can't the most powerful country in the world spare a little of its resources to airdrop in some needed supplies?

Take your time in answering: you've ignored most of my letters and emails so far.

But while we're on the subject: I think that sacking Michael Brown is a good first step. Bush's resignation can come in there, maybe fifth or sixth.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 09-13-2005 at 02:34 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:12 AM   #4
Hogan
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 106
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
...It's plain as day: Bush hates black folks. You can see it in his policies--his budgetary slashes of funds to the poor (the majority of Af-Am's) ....
I thought the majority of the poor are white ?? Didn't you say that in another recent thread ??
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:18 PM   #5
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 225
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
John Hogan wrote:
I thought the majority of the poor are white ?? Didn't you say that in another recent thread ??
Quite right, my mistake. Good call.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 09-13-2005 at 08:25 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai
Location: VA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 374
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

The majority of Americans that are poor are white since they are the majority of all Americans. However, the majority of the people living in New Orleans are black and the President signed an order that FEMA will be in charge of the operation before the damage was done but FEMA was very slow to act and Bush showed no visible outrage or rolled any heads, hence, the claim that "..Bush hates black people." I wonder if the majority of the black population lives under the poverty line? Maybe this is what Mr. Nick was trying to convey.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
Hogan
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 106
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote:
The majority of Americans that are poor are white since they are the majority of all Americans. However, the majority of the people living in New Orleans are black and the President signed an order that FEMA will be in charge of the operation before the damage was done but FEMA was very slow to act and Bush showed no visible outrage or rolled any heads, hence, the claim that "..Bush hates black people." I wonder if the majority of the black population lives under the poverty line? Maybe this is what Mr. Nick was trying to convey.
For whatever reason aid was delayed, by feds, by locals, by state, doesn't translate into hate. With that logic, the mayor of New Orleans hates black people, too.

It was a stupid comment, and still is a stupid comment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
Mashu
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 106
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

It was worth it just to see Austin Powers cringe.

Cheers,

Matthew (eagerly awaiting more unscripted moments)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Location: Stuttgart, Baden Wurttemberg
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,371
Germany
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Neil,

Two things: first, to clairify, for those that may not know, the Army Times is a indenpendent weekly paper not endorsed or sponsored by the army published by Gannett publishing, so it does not represent the opinions, or express the views or the Army or the National Guard.

Second, what is your source about the number of helicopters that the LA ARNG has available? Just curious.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #10
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
Location: Las Vegas/Henderson
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 73
United_States
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

I personally have never liked Kanye West, in fact one of my co-workers and I were discussing his music a few weeks back before all this occurred. I told my coworker I didn't like him because he seems to have a serious chip on his shoulder when it comes to white people. I'm a big neo-soul, hip hop & r&b fan, but I refuse to buy his album because of what I perceive as prejudice on his part. If you listen to the lyrics in his songs it's very apparent. If he has had bad experiences with white people in his life I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean that everyone of that same skin color is going to act the same way. Well anyway... As far as the NBC thing he can say what he likes. I don't know George W. Bush, but from what I've seen him do through policies and things he's said, I don't doubt what Kanye West said was true. Although I think you would have to add all poor people into that statement as well. The strange thing is I think Kanye West is just as guilty from the other side of the coin as George W. Bush.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #11
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai
Location: VA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 374
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
John Hogan wrote:
For whatever reason aid was delayed, by feds, by locals, by state, doesn't translate into hate. With that logic, the mayor of New Orleans hates black people, too.

It was a stupid comment, and still is a stupid comment.
I don't understand the logic on why the mayor also hates black people from what was written but oh well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #12
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
Location: Clive, IA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 75
United_States
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Mindy Imbuido wrote:
I personally have never liked Kanye West, in fact one of my co-workers and I were discussing his music a few weeks back before all this occurred. I told my coworker I didn't like him because he seems to have a serious chip on his shoulder when it comes to white people. I'm a big neo-soul, hip hop & r&b fan, but I refuse to buy his album because of what I perceive as prejudice on his part. If you listen to the lyrics in his songs it's very apparent. If he has had bad experiences with white people in his life I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean that everyone of that same skin color is going to act the same way. Well anyway... As far as the NBC thing he can say what he likes. I don't know George W. Bush, but from what I've seen him do through policies and things he's said, I don't doubt what Kanye West said was true. Although I think you would have to add all poor people into that statement as well. The strange thing is I think Kanye West is just as guilty from the other side of the coin as George W. Bush.
I agree with you 100%
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:32 PM   #13
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 225
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote:
The majority of Americans that are poor are white since they are the majority of all Americans. However, the majority of the people living in New Orleans are black and the President signed an order that FEMA will be in charge of the operation before the damage was done but FEMA was very slow to act and Bush showed no visible outrage or rolled any heads, hence, the claim that "..Bush hates black people." I wonder if the majority of the black population lives under the poverty line? Maybe this is what Mr. Nick was trying to convey.
Yes, this was what I was trying to convey. Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #14
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 225
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Neil,
Second, what is your source about the number of helicopters that the LA ARNG has available? Just curious.
Phyllis Bennis, of the Brookings Institute...a comment she made in a radio interview.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #15
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 225
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Mindy Imbuido wrote:
I personally have never liked Kanye West, in fact one of my co-workers and I were discussing his music a few weeks back before all this occurred. I told my coworker I didn't like him because he seems to have a serious chip on his shoulder when it comes to white people. I'm a big neo-soul, hip hop & r&b fan, but I refuse to buy his album because of what I perceive as prejudice on his part. If you listen to the lyrics in his songs it's very apparent. If he has had bad experiences with white people in his life I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean that everyone of that same skin color is going to act the same way.
Frankly, I don't know West's songs, except one ("George Bush Don't Like Black People"), which is played here on Free Radio Santa Cruz all the time.

Bush's cavalier attitude toward Katrina is only the final proof that W hates black ppl. My previous post, above: shows other, more telling evidence, throughout his tenure.

Quote:
The strange thing is I think Kanye West is just as guilty from the other side of the coin as George W. Bush.
Sorry, I do not see that at all.

Just recently, to SC's shame: the main musical venue in town ("The Catalyst") hosted a reggae singer named "Sizzla." Sizzla likes to sing songs promoting the murder of gays and lesbians. He even breaks during his act to encourage ppl to go out and shoot and beat up gays and lesbians.

Now Sizzla I see as guilty from the other side of the coin as W. West? Maybe he IS racist: but do his lyrics suggest beating up, robbing or murdering whites? If they did, then I'd have to agree with you.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 09-14-2005 at 09:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:22 AM   #16
Hogan
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 106
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote:
I don't understand the logic on why the mayor also hates black people from what was written but oh well.
The stupid comment was made that Gge. Bush hates black people because of the delay in aid in getting to the people of New Orleans. Yes, federal aid was delayed. But local aid was delayed, as well. Hence, if local aid was delayed, then the head of the local government, the mayor, must hate black people, too - following the logic that if the head of the federal government hates blacks because the federal aid was delayed, then the head of the local government must also hate black people if local aid was delayed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:44 AM   #17
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 395
United_States
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Did George Bush not appoint Condoleezza Rice as his Assistant for National Security Affairs? Last time i checked , she was black. Or is the national security council appointed some other way? i could be wrong , just a thought.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:08 AM   #18
James Davis
 
James Davis's Avatar
Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
Location: Ft. Myers, FL.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 716
United_States
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Paige Frazier wrote:
Did George Bush not appoint Condoleezza Rice as his Assistant for National Security Affairs? Last time i checked , she was black. Or is the national security council appointed some other way? i could be wrong , just a thought.
Yeah, and Colin Powell before that. How many blacks did Clinton employ in high government positions?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #19
James Davis
 
James Davis's Avatar
Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
Location: Ft. Myers, FL.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 716
United_States
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
It's plain as day: Bush hates black folks. You can see it in his policies--his budgetary slashes of funds to the poor (the majority of Af-Am's) as if he's some drunken spectre of death on a toot; his security's appallingly poor treatment of S. African's in his visit there; in his snubbing of the NAACP; in his closed-door policy to the Congressional Black Caucus, etc, etc.
What appallingly poor treatment of S. Africans? I did a couple searches and didn't find anything. You'd think the news agencies would be all over something like that!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:52 AM   #20
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 395
United_States
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

IMO, the claim that our President hates black people is a VERY poor excuse for the delays that have happened in New Orleans. George Bush has openly taken blame for the delays, so has the governor of Louisianna and the mayor of New Orleans. It was just poor planning and underestimation. Everyone makes mistakes.

George Bush has visited New Orleans 4 times since the disaster. To me, that doesnt sound like someone who is a racist and doesnt care about the lives of other people. I truly believe that he is doing everything in his power to contribute to what has happened.

Anyway, George Bush will be addressing the nation tonight at 9:00 at which point i am sure he will cover all of these issues.

peace,
Paige
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:19 AM   #21
Hogan
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 106
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

I think Clinton was the one hated blacks, through racial divisive policies:

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA163.html

Last edited by Hogan : 09-15-2005 at 11:24 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #22
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 225
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Paige Frazier wrote:
Did George Bush not appoint Condoleezza Rice as his Assistant for National Security Affairs? Last time i checked , she was black. Or is the national security council appointed some other way? i could be wrong , just a thought.
A few corporate tokens and suddenly W is a friend of blacks? Ignore his wholesale war on the poor; ignore his attitude toward the NAACP and the Congr. Black Caucus...he put Condi and Colin on his staff, that's all that matters.

Quote:
Paige Frazier wrote:
George Bush has openly taken blame for the delays
which means nothing.

Quote:
George Bush has visited New Orleans 4 times since the disaster.
Clinton would have been there, a week ago.


Quote:
To me, that doesnt sound like someone who is a racist and doesnt care about the lives of other people.
To me, that sounds like someone who responds only to media pressure.

Quote:
Anyway, George Bush will be addressing the nation tonight at 9:00 at which point i am sure he will cover all of these issues.

peace,
Paige
Maybe he'll include something about aluminum tubes and yellowcake from Niger, too.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 09-15-2005 at 02:56 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #23
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 225
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
What appallingly poor treatment of S. Africans? I did a couple searches and didn't find anything. You'd think the news agencies would be all over something like that!
His security was agressive and heavy-handed. It was compared unfavorably to Clinton, who visited the same area when he went there. HE went around to the ppl with no guards at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:18 PM   #24
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 395
United_States
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
A few corporate tokens and suddenly W is a friend of blacks? Ignore his wholesale war on the poor; ignore his attitude toward the NAACP and the Congr. Black Caucus...he put Condi and Colin on his staff, that's all that matters.

Well u can definitely take out the words "... hates black people.." due to this evidence. hate is such a strong word.

The thing is the fact of whether or not Bush was reacting to media pressure or out of his own generosity will never be known. You have no evidence of why he went to New Orleans so what makes your opinion more valid than those of the more moral party. Its just one word against another.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #25
James Davis
 
James Davis's Avatar
Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
Location: Ft. Myers, FL.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 716
United_States
Offline
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
His security was agressive and heavy-handed. It was compared unfavorably to Clinton, who visited the same area when he went there. HE went around to the ppl with no guards at all.
Your source?
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Mugendo Budogu - Official Aikikai Hakama now available!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Live Streaming Aikido on the Net LiveMartialArts Marketplace 4 11-01-2006 05:47 PM
live blade/bokken Paula Lydon Weapons 35 02-09-2006 03:23 AM
Jimmy Sorrentino in West Reading, PA AikiWeb System AikiWeb System 0 06-09-2004 02:37 PM
Live blades gi_grrl General 25 12-26-2001 09:00 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:19 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate