Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-26-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States
New dojo Etiquette

So I have recently moved to Japan to teach, I posted a while back before I left and received a lot of help which I appreciate. So I have been here about a week now and finally will have time to go and train on Friday(I had planned on doing it earlier but I got lost in Kobe!, yes very funny I know). I am aware that traditionally in Japan when you come to someone's to visit you bring a gift and I was wondering how it would work in a dojo situation? If I was just visiting for one day I would obviously bring something just to be nice but I am planning on training 3-4 times a week for the next year maybe more, do I need to bring something the first time or is there other etiquette I need to know? I was hoping that either Peter Goldsbury senssei or Bryan Bateman would be able to weigh in on this as the latter lives in Hiroshima and the dojo I plan on training at is Seibukan that Bryan mentions regularly. Any help is appreciated as it is Wednesday here almost Thurdsday and I plan on training Friday morning. Thanks again.

Brad Darr
Very recent addition to the gaijin population in Japan

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun
Old 10-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: New dojo Etiquette

Please tell Nakao Sensei that Ron Tisdale (yoshinkan aikidoka from Phila.) says hello! I hope he comes back to train in North Wales again.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-27-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States
Re: New dojo Etiquette

Hey Ron I passed on your message as best I could, I only speak enough Japanese to order sushi! Nakao sensei is amazing though, I love that I have this chance to train with him often. He laughed when I told him that I know Bryan Bateman from the internet, appearantly they get a lot of foreigners who come to the dojo on Bryan's reccomendation. If you are planning a trip to Japan anytime soon the morning classes on MWF are the best.

Best,
Brad

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com