Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
3girls
Dojo: WestCoast Aikido
United_States
New again

Hello everyone, I just thought I would introduce myself I have been away from aikido for a couple of years dealing with personal issues that I have no wanted to face but desperately needed to. With the love of my wife and many caring friends I have found a much needed peace. I am uncertain if I will be welcome at my old dojo since I left rather abruptly with no communication to my sensei or if it would be better to start over someplace else. I am eager to get back to the mat and take some ukemi...this I have missed most of all. Well I look forward to many conversations with everyone and learning from each of you.

Thanks
BK
Old 10-12-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
John Lilly
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
United_States
Re: New again

Brian; You are only going to find out for sure if you go back and see for yourself. Most likely they will welcome you with open arms. I have been away from training myself for almost four years after my Parks and Recreation Center Classes were canceled. So far I have dropped by the dojo to check out returning myself and now intend to start classes as soon as I get over the flu and mandatory overtime permitting. I would guess your Sensei will understand about needing to resolve your personal issues.
John
Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

go back ask and get on the mat .....
welcome home!!!!
em x

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Brian Keesler wrote:
Hello everyone, I just thought I would introduce myself I have been away from aikido for a couple of years dealing with personal issues that I have no wanted to face but desperately needed to. With the love of my wife and many caring friends I have found a much needed peace. I am uncertain if I will be welcome at my old dojo since I left rather abruptly with no communication to my sensei or if it would be better to start over someplace else. I am eager to get back to the mat and take some ukemi...this I have missed most of all. Well I look forward to many conversations with everyone and learning from each of you.

Thanks
BK
Oh don't worry about that at all. Of course they will welcome you back. Just go back and they'll be happy to see you. They probably wondered where you disappeared to. Go take some ukemi now. I mean it, NOW!

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #5
dyffcult
United_States

If you once found joy training there, they will welcome your return.

I have left the mat on more occassions than I wish, for a variety of reasons. I was always welcomed back.

My fellow mat mates seem to have the attitude of -- glad to see you again, where the heck were you.
Even at dojos where I had never trained before.

I have never once been challenged as to my reasons for leaving training. No one has ever told me my reason was not good enough.

So welcome back. Hit your home mat. Expect the welcome. Tell them what you will. And happy training.

Brenda
Old 10-13-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

If they take you back, enjoy your training. If they don't take you back, enjoy training somewhere else. Move forward and enjoy your life.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 10-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
akiy

Hi Brian,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-13-2005, 07:00 PM   #8
3girls
United_States

Thanks everyone for the warm greetings! I had trained there for about 4 years so it would be great to go back and train with some old faces and hopefully some new ones as well. We'll see how things go hopefully all will be well. If not one thing I have learned over the last two years is that all things happen for a reason, we may not know why or for what purpose but in the end it all works out for the best.

Thanks
BK
Old 10-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #9
3girls
United_States

Well back on the mat last Friday, all went well. It felt good to get thrown; a little rusty but not to bad with my musubi renshu and techniques but just a matter of time.

Thanks
BK
Old 10-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
merlynn

Dojo: lone pine ryu school of aiki kyusho jujutsu ,woking & guildford
United Kingdom

welcome back to the mats brian,and glad you enjoyed your first class back after so many years away

some things are so dear and so precious you have to let them go
Old 10-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #11
3girls
United_States

Quote:
Karen Dodsworth wrote:
welcome back to the mats brian,and glad you enjoyed your first class back after so many years away
Thanks, It was a great feeling walking onto the mats for sure. Definately rusty but some good ukemi will knock the rust off

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido of Northern VA Seminars - Doran-sensei in Northern Virginia, March 2015