Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
simon isherwood
United Kingdom
Contemplation in injury

Where to start
I trained in traditional Iwama style for nine years, visited seminars of Morihiro and Hitohiro Saito, Tomita and others, but have never had to leave England to do so.

Aikido to me was a way of controlling my nervous energy, relaxation and a confidence booster. This martial art made and helped me think about technique, form, and a way of using one's body to defend themselves against attack and also personnel
fitness in cohesion.
Suddenly, roughly five years ago now, I damaged my hip, mainly due to falling badly, which i recovered from unyet i was to suffer
more problems associated with my spine. Finally
after having a scan, a slipped disc in my lower spine
was diagnosed and the doctor told me not to participate in any sport, especially martial arts.

I really miss the benefits of Aikido and wish i could
participate again, but am too afraid after the scan
which showed my disc in my spinal fluid column.

I am now thirty five and still train with my wooden sticks in the garden but am lacking in practice.

If anyone has a similar story or wants to relate advice please feel free to reply.

Signing off

Simon
Old 09-16-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: Contemplation in injury

I have 3 disk bulges in my lumbar region that can pinch off the spin. Also a tight hip leading to sciatica problems. Physical therapy exercises and training smarter put me back on the mat. I'll be 55 next month, been training 11 years.

I can contemplate training smarter in my life. I cannot comtemplate life without training at all.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-17-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
justinc
Dojo: Enso Center, Redmond
Australia

Traditional western medical doctors mostly seem to take a very negative reaction to anything. Find yourself a good sports physiotherapist. Their outlook on medical problems is to get you back doing the things you love, not to prevent you from doing them. We have several students in our school with back problems of various amounts - one of them is currently recovering from a spine fusing operation. With the right teacher, good medical advice from those that want to work with you rather than against you, you can get back on the mat. Don't expect to be doing huge breakfalls immediately (or maybe never again), but a good teacher will adapt the martial arts to your capabilities so that you can still work out and be effective.

Justin Couch
Student of life.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
simon isherwood
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice

To all who answered my introductory thread, you know who you are, thank you for the encouragement, i'll post later with my medical update.

Simon Isherwood
Old 09-21-2005, 10:34 PM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

If it showed your disc in your spinal fluid it could be pretty serious. Sometimes the disc fragments or sequesters and floats free in the fluid. It can cause cauda equina syndrome -loss of bowel or bladder function or saddle anesthesia-surgical emergency.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
aikidojoe
Dojo: Aikido of Center City
United_States

I think what you take away from these reccomendations is that maybe you should get a second opinion, search out alternative therapies, and educate yourself more on your injury, your health and what you can do on a pro-active preventative nature. Do all of that BEFORE you just hop back onto a mat.

MasaKatsu Agatsu

Joe
Old 09-30-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Always get more than one opinion. It helps to ask yourself the question: "What is your life worth to you?" In gassho, tamonmark

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.