Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #26
Hogan
Re: Kayne West Outburst Live On NBC

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
His security was agressive and heavy-handed. It was compared unfavorably to Clinton, who visited the same area when he went there. HE went around to the ppl with no guards at all.
Now there is a thing called a war on terrorism, where bad people want to kill Bush, and the secret service wants to stop that.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #27
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Quote:
Mitch Kuntz wrote:
What does everyone think of this?
Possibly correct...but, definitely irrelevant.

The relevant topic is that the blacks that West refers to are/were responsible for themselves and they failed to meet their individual needs.

Further, certainly he said what a lot of individuals are thinking. We all grasp for straws when we don't want to take responsibility for our bad decisions.

(this may sound bad, but I think it's the way conservatives see it.) News Flash to West: Each person is responsible for themselves. The white man, the gov, and/or Bush is not obligated to care for you at all!

If you belive that poor people should be educated in a certain way, if you believe that the poor should be cared for in a certain way, we've got this wonderful system here that ALLOWS YOU TO START A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION FOR THE BENEFIT OF THAT CAUSE. Please stop crying and start DOING!!!! And I mean for longer than this occasion.

Don't cry that the community doesn't have money...money is a unit of labor...the more people you have the more potential money you have. You figure out how to unlock the potential...you're not owed that.

No one owes you anything--not because of slavery, not because of bad schools within your community which you are responsible for (that means, Mr. West, the bad school is your fault if you're a member of that community.).

--drum roll---------stop crying and act productively.

Here's a question: What does the opinion of some ba***rd who doesn't do everything he can for "his community" but produces one of the ridiculous products that leeches money from "his community" matter?

Last edited by Adam Alexander : 09-15-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:41 PM   #28
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Quote:
John Hogan wrote:
The stupid comment was made that Gge. Bush hates black people because of the delay in aid in getting to the people of New Orleans. Yes, federal aid was delayed. But local aid was delayed, as well. Hence, if local aid was delayed, then the head of the local government, the mayor, must hate black people, too - following the logic that if the head of the federal government hates blacks because the federal aid was delayed, then the head of the local government must also hate black people if local aid was delayed.
Local aid was delayed for everyone was waiting for FEMA to give the directions of what to do, where to do it, and when. Once Bush signed the order, everyone was supposed to follow FEMA's direction. They are the ones that are supposed to be the experts with years of experience, training, and tons of resources at their disposal that nobody else has. There is no way that FEMA's lack of responce falls on the mayor. So your logic that mayor "..hates black people too" is wrong.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:56 PM   #29
odudog

It's amazing on how a lot of people just don't get it. I'm hesitant to write this but I'll put it out there anyway, this points mainly to white people. I hear a lot of comments by white people that the people in N.O. should be fending for themselves. I heard one lady made a comment that they should not be looking out for federal financial handouts for they should have their bank accounts etc... How are these people supposed to get access to those accounts with all their ID washed away or paper documents destroyed by the water? What if they banked at a local branch that is also under water and therefore can't get any access to their funds? They need the federal money until they can get their stuff straight. I wish it was possible to take people like this and place them in the middle of a hostile environment, say an Arab country that don't like Americans, take all their money, credit cards, passport, ID, etc... and tell them to go fend for themselves. We'll be back in 3 years to check on you and see how much progress you've made {bought a car, have house, started own business, etc...}. I feel like telling these people that the next time that they need an ambulance, or a cop, or the fire department to just suck on it and like it for they have to get to the hospital, find their stolen car, or put their house fire out all by themselves. I don't advocate giving anyone a mansion when I don't have one myself but we are all responsible to each other in a small portion. Once those small portions are meet, then anything else that you can get on top of that by yourself is gravy.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:31 AM   #30
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
Paige Frazier wrote:
Well u can definitely take out the words "... hates black people.." due to this evidence. hate is such a strong word.
Yes, you're right: I really don't know what W feels about black ppl, and so the comment was unjustified.

Quote:
The thing is the fact of whether or not Bush was reacting to media pressure or out of his own generosity will never be known.
But on here we disagree; unless W's generosity means that its tied to his political careeer. This seems to be the only thing motivating him, at present. He waited so long to act, and was so out of touch with reality. If he really cared, he'd have cut his vacation short, that Sunday or sooner. He'd have never said "no one knew that this was going to happen," because ppl who care knew it was going to happen.

If he really cares about New Orleans, he'd be doing things other than for reasons of damage control.

Quote:
You have no evidence of why he went to New Orleans so what makes your opinion more valid than those of the more moral party. Its just one word against another.
Sure is: it's just my opinion. But you watch politician's and you come up with one thing: they're just salesmen. Georgie is just selling you his personality. Maybe he's really like that; that "heart o' gold, good ole' boy, down wi' the homie's yet up with the captains of industry" routine.

But understand one thing: even if he is, it's all just a product. Crawford is one big set, Bush is a terrible cattleman (from what I hear); he's a ivy-leaguer, not a Texas redneck, he has to practice to get his accent; to win the Texas governorship, he needed coaches to tell him how gov't works, etc. It's an image: an act.

Strip down this heart o' gold image, and you see a failed entrepeneur with a questionable service record who sleazed into office on a contentious supreme court vote and has led this country from one disaster to another (please, someone: tell me one concrete thing this guy has accomplished...just 1), and now this guy suddenly finds compassion??

Uh huh.

But, I don't think that Bush is solely responsible for New Orleans.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:41 AM   #31
Neil Mick

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
Your source?
My mistake. it was Senegal (it was awhile ago). And, they herded the residents into a stadium "for security," while Bush was there.

Not exactly a "man of the people" type move.

As Bush Travels to South Africa We Hear From Nelson Mandela, Poet and Activist Dennis Brutus, Greg Palast and Others

Quote:
President Bush met with South African President Thabo Mbeki today.
South Africa is the third stop in Bush's 5-day African tour.

His first stop was Goree Island, Senagal. Goree Island is the symbol of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade. That is where hundreds of thousands of Africans were taken before being forced onto slave ships bound for the West.

In his speech yesterday, President Bush did not apologize for slavery. He said Americans throughout history "clearly saw this sin and called it by name."

But ordinary residents of Goree Island were not allowed to attend. Residents told Reuters they had been taken to a football field on the other side of the island and told to wait there until Bush departed.

The only people to be seen on the main beach were US officials and secret service agents. Frogmen swam through the water and a gunship patrolled offshore.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:54 AM   #32
Neil Mick

And one more thing: the hurricane laid bare the third-world status of the poor, and how neglect can cause catastrophe. A lot of this misery would have been lessened, if better services were given for the poor.

But, the racism is still ongoing, even as this crisis unfolds. Why is the New Orleans diaspora being spread out so much? What about this talk of Laura's about a "gleaming new city?" sounds awfully squeaky (read: "white") clean to me.

Why are there no catalogues of where the refugee's have been relocated? Why were refugee's trying to cross the bridge into MS turned back at gunpoint?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:49 AM   #33
Hogan

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote:
Local aid was delayed for everyone was waiting for FEMA to give the directions of what to do, where to do it, and when. Once Bush signed the order, everyone was supposed to follow FEMA's direction. They are the ones that are supposed to be the experts with years of experience, training, and tons of resources at their disposal that nobody else has. There is no way that FEMA's lack of responce falls on the mayor. So your logic that mayor "..hates black people too" is wrong.
If you fail to see the similar logic used in the hate black people thing, then I fear you cannot understand anything, but I will try this one more time:

Federal gov is NOT THE FIRST RESPONDER TO ANY EMERGENCY. The LOCAS are. The LOCALS failed at the beginning. Here is one example (of many) - I was watching the news the other night, and they said another city with another superdome type of building that is also in 'hurrican way'. Unfortunately I don't remember the city - but they said that their dome is ALSO a shelter of last resort, just like N.O.'s was. But guess where they differ ? They have food, water & security always ready. But N.O. didn't. Why ? Because the LOCAL officials didn't do it. The N.O. Mayor also sent a CD to his folks saying that if anything should happen, you'r on your own. The LOCALS failed to provide buses to evacuate. The LOCALS failed to enforce a mandatory evacuation. The LOCALS waited to give such order (the city required 72 hr notice to completely evacuate - they waited too long despite being BEGGED by BUSH and the head of the hurrican office to evacuate). The LOCAL mayor did this, not BUSH.

The LOCAL mayor STILL refuses to accept responsibility, as the Prez & Guv has.

The deaths of people in N.O. rests SOLELY on the head of the Mayor - he has to sleep at night with that. HE failed, MISERABLY.

IMPEACH !
Old 09-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #34
Hogan

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote:
It's amazing on how a lot of people just don't get it. I'm hesitant to write this but I'll put it out there anyway, this points mainly to white people. I hear a lot of comments by white people that the people in N.O. should be fending for themselves. I heard one lady made a comment that they should not be looking out for federal financial handouts for they should have their bank accounts etc... How are these people supposed to get access to those accounts with all their ID washed away or paper documents destroyed by the water? What if they banked at a local branch that is also under water and therefore can't get any access to their funds? They need the federal money until they can get their stuff straight. I wish it was possible to take people like this and place them in the middle of a hostile environment, say an Arab country that don't like Americans, take all their money, credit cards, passport, ID, etc... and tell them to go fend for themselves. We'll be back in 3 years to check on you and see how much progress you've made {bought a car, have house, started own business, etc...}. I feel like telling these people that the next time that they need an ambulance, or a cop, or the fire department to just suck on it and like it for they have to get to the hospital, find their stolen car, or put their house fire out all by themselves. I don't advocate giving anyone a mansion when I don't have one myself but we are all responsible to each other in a small portion. Once those small portions are meet, then anything else that you can get on top of that by yourself is gravy.

There is a little thing called preparation. If everyone else in 'hurrican way' in other parts of the country can prepare for hurricans, why can't New Orleans ? Of you have important docs, have copies stored securely. If you have a bank, use one that has ATM's so that you can access your money anywhere. If you live in a flood plain, get flood insurance. And it's not because people are poor that they didn't do this - I have been poor, and I was able to do it. And... AND, most importantly, if a hurrican is coming, EVACUATE !

And let's talk about federal aid. Everyone is familiar with those $2000 debit cards that the GOV handed out. Now there are reports that spending of those cards have taken place at HOOTERS, VICTORIA SECRET, CIRCUIT CITY...

Yes... people need aid to get back on their feet, indeed. They can put those Victoria Secret thongs right next to those big screen TV's they looted.

Should N.O.be rebuilt ? Should this be allowed to happen again ?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:00 AM   #35
Hogan

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
My mistake. it was Senegal (it was awhile ago). And, they herded the residents into a stadium "for security," while Bush was there.

Not exactly a "man of the people" type move.

As Bush Travels to South Africa We Hear From Nelson Mandela, Poet and Activist Dennis Brutus, Greg Palast and Others

Neil - you have evidence that these folks were put there on Bush's orders ? Or were they put there by their leader ? Who hates black peope ? Their own leader that out his own people there or Bush ?

(And whether Bush should've been there is another debate).
Old 09-16-2005, 09:04 AM   #36
Hogan

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
And one more thing: the hurricane laid bare the third-world status of the poor, and how neglect can cause catastrophe. A lot of this misery would have been lessened, if better services were given for the poor.

But, the racism is still ongoing, even as this crisis unfolds. Why is the New Orleans diaspora being spread out so much? What about this talk of Laura's about a "gleaming new city?" sounds awfully squeaky (read: "white") clean to me.

Why are there no catalogues of where the refugee's have been relocated? Why were refugee's trying to cross the bridge into MS turned back at gunpoint?
Neil - one way to stop the level of politics and anger is to stop using buzz words like refugee.

Refugee is defined in Webster as follows:

Main Entry: ref·u·gee
Pronunciation: "re-fyu-'jE, 're-fyu-"
Function: noun
Etymology: French réfugié, past participle of (se) réfugier to take refuge, from Latin refugium
: one that flees; especially : a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution

The people who are displaced from the hurrican in no sense fit that description, and you are doing a disservice to those actual refugees who exist in the world. I understand your dislike for Bush, but using these politically charged words accomplish nothing and hurt our country in the long run.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #37
odudog

Quote:
John Hogan wrote:
Federal gov is NOT THE FIRST RESPONDER TO ANY EMERGENCY. The LOCAS are. The LOCALS failed at the beginning. Here is one example (of many) - I was watching the news the other night, and they said another city with another superdome type of building that is also in 'hurrican way'. Unfortunately I don't remember the city - but they said that their dome is ALSO a shelter of last resort, just like N.O.'s was. But guess where they differ ? They have food, water & security always ready. But N.O. didn't. Why ? Because the LOCAL officials didn't do it. The N.O. Mayor also sent a CD to his folks saying that if anything should happen, you'r on your own. The LOCALS failed to provide buses to evacuate. The LOCALS failed to enforce a mandatory evacuation. The LOCALS waited to give such order (the city required 72 hr notice to completely evacuate - they waited too long despite being BEGGED by BUSH and the head of the hurrican office to evacuate). The LOCAL mayor did this, not BUSH.

The deaths of people in N.O. rests SOLELY on the head of the Mayor - he has to sleep at night with that. HE failed, MISERABLY.

IMPEACH !
I agree with you that the local government is the first responders to a disaster but that is only if the disaster was not forseen as in an earthquake or volcano eruption. However, we saw this hurricane coming. The mayor did not send CDs saying that they were on there own. The CDs were made instructing people on what to do in case of hurricane by the mayor with disaster experts and things like that and were schedule to be sent out at the end of this month. None were ever mailed. The buses were place in an area that has never been flooded before so the fact that it happened totally shocked the city government, besides, the city doesn't hae the amount of drivers needed to drive all the buses. The manditory evacuation was put in place the day before the storm because FEMA was given the powers to be in charge the day before that. The 72hr. evacuation time needed had already passed by the time FEMA gave the order. By your logic, I guess you blame the local government for the levees failure as well despite the fact the city engineers, mayor {current & previous}, governors, state senators, and congressmen have been begging for more money from the federal government to improve the levees. They were always told no.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #38
odudog

Quote:
John Hogan wrote:
There is a little thing called preparation. If everyone else in 'hurrican way' in other parts of the country can prepare for hurricans, why can't New Orleans ? Of you have important docs, have copies stored securely. If you have a bank, use one that has ATM's so that you can access your money anywhere. If you live in a flood plain, get flood insurance. And it's not because people are poor that they didn't do this - I have been poor, and I was able to do it. And... AND, most importantly, if a hurrican is coming, EVACUATE !

And let's talk about federal aid. Everyone is familiar with those $2000 debit cards that the GOV handed out. Now there are reports that spending of those cards have taken place at HOOTERS, VICTORIA SECRET, CIRCUIT CITY...

Yes... people need aid to get back on their feet, indeed. They can put those Victoria Secret thongs right next to those big screen TV's they looted.

Most people are not prepared for these type of catastrophic emergencies. NYC and the Federal government was no were prepared for 9/11 despite the fact that a former FBI official that did not get along with the higher ups screamed about it. Rememer the twin tours had been attacked two times previous. The FBI official died in the towers that he knew was vulnerable to attacks and would be attacked again. The % of people with flood insurance is miniscual and it also goes with all the other major disasters. Interesting, I didn't see any of the so called looted big screen tvs being loaded on the airplanes and buses. I see, black people eating at Hooters is now a crime. The people have to buy underwear somewhere. Victoria Secrets does sell regualar underwear as well. You should go in one someday and take a look.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:10 AM   #39
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote:
By your logic, I guess you blame the local government for the levees failure as well despite the fact the city engineers, mayor {current & previous}, governors, state senators, and congressmen have been begging for more money from the federal government to improve the levees. They were always told no.
Army Corps of Engineers projects in Louisiana received a budget of aprosimately $1.9 Billion, larger than any other state. California, with a population seven times as large as Louisiana's, came second with only $1.4 Billion. The funds were diverted by louisiana representatives to a project to create a lock on the New Orleans Industrial Canal. The purpose of the lock was dealing with increasing barge traffic on the canal. Unfortunately, barge traffic had steadily dropped since 1994.

Yes, infact the local government can be blamed for the misuse of funds that should have been used on the levees.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #40
Hogan

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote:
I agree with you that the local government is the first responders to a disaster but that is only if the disaster was not forseen as in an earthquake or volcano eruption.
Wha !? Sorry, nice try. But how many volcanos are in the continental US ?

Quote:
However, we saw this hurricane coming.
Yes, so did the mayor, and he did NOTHING.

Quote:
The mayor did not send CDs saying that they were on there own. The CDs were made instructing people on what to do in case of hurricane by the mayor with disaster experts and things like that and were schedule to be sent out at the end of this month. None were ever mailed. The buses were place in an area that has never been flooded before so the fact that it happened totally shocked the city government
They could have gotten the buses out before flooding, but they ahd no drivers. Some planning.

Quote:
...besides, the city doesn't hae the amount of drivers needed to drive all the buses
Then why have such a plan in the evacuation plan and tell people buses would be provided ? POOR LOCAL PLANNING.

Quote:
The manditory evacuation was put in place the day before the storm because FEMA was given the powers to be in charge the day before that. The 72hr. evacuation time needed had already passed by the time FEMA gave the order.
Sorry, nice try again. The head of the national hurrican offie and Bush called the mayor to order an evacuation, he didn't.

Quote:
By your logic, I guess you blame the local government for the levees failure as well despite the fact the city engineers, mayor {current & previous}, governors, state senators, and congressmen have been begging for more money from the federal government to improve the levees. They were always told no.
I do - for decades those levees could have been improved, but weren't. Even the N.O Picayune came out against it once (the local paper!). I posted another link that said a flood gate was going to be built, but ENVIRONMENTALISTS stopped it. Lets also blame those that are responsible for decades of destruction of the wetlands around the area, that could've provided additional protection against flooding. This is one of the purposes of wetlands, you know.

I have an idea, why don't we take ALL THE PORK in the current budget, and send it to N.O. You think the local officials who are affected by that money would allow that ?? It would provide 10's of billions of dollars. Do we really need a bridge in alaska that goes nowhere ? Send it ot New Orleans !!!!

IMPEACH THE MAYOR !
Old 09-16-2005, 12:24 PM   #41
Hogan

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote:
Most people are not prepared for these type of catastrophic emergencies.
So, everyone then must pay because they're too damn lazy to prepare ?

Quote:
NYC and the Federal government was no were prepared for 9/11 despite the fact that a former FBI official that did not get along with the higher ups screamed about it. Rememer the twin tours had been attacked two times previous. The FBI official died in the towers that he knew was vulnerable to attacks and would be attacked again.
You're right,and they should've been.

Quote:
The % of people with flood insurance is miniscual and it also goes with all the other major disasters.
Again, so we should foot the bill for those that were too lazy to get some, or think that Uncle Sam will provide for them if they flood ? People shouldn't be living in ANY flood plan, PERIOD - Uncle Same makes it much too easy to get flood insurance. If it was too expensive to get, PERHAPS less people would live there.

Quote:
Interesting, I didn't see any of the so called looted big screen tvs being loaded on the airplanes and buses.
Yeah, wonder where they put them... Hmmmm... if they EVACUATED like they were supposed to, none of this would've happened.

Quote:
I see, black people eating at Hooters is now a crime. The people have to buy underwear somewhere. Victoria Secrets does sell regualar underwear as well. You should go in one someday and take a look.
What about Circuit City ? And I didn't say black people were eating at Hooters, I said that the people who have used the cards charged at Hooters. But it's interesting you thought blacks did it. If you're hungry, go to White Castle, or Denny's or how about buy food at a store. I think there was something else at Hooters they were interested in, as well. V. Secret does have underwear, yes, but so does WalMart. I bet it's cheaper there, too. What should have happened is a placement of restrcitions as to where one can use the card - like, only food, clothes, etc.... Not Circuit City.

Last edited by Hogan : 09-16-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #42
Hogan

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9342186/

More local corruption that screwed them over....

IMPEACH THE LOCALS !
Old 09-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #43
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

It just seems like to me that no one can get past the whole "republican/democrat stereotypes". People tend to look at the opposite party and hate that person just because they are of that party. Part of me thinks that democrats hate Bush simply because hes not democrat. If Clinton had reacted the exact same way as Bush to Katrina, would u be on here talking bad about him? I would bet not.

But dont get me wrong Republicans can be just as guilty, which is why i dont declare myself either party. And of course its not always, there are people who can see past a title but i just think that discussions about politics can sometimes be pointless, if you dont look past a heading to see the real person.

Im not calling anyone out or anything like that. Just something to think about

-Paige
Old 09-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #44
Neil Mick

Quote:
John Hogan wrote:
Neil - you have evidence that these folks were put there on Bush's orders ? Or were they put there by their leader ? Who hates black peope ? Their own leader that out his own people there or Bush ?

(And whether Bush should've been there is another debate).
Oh please: I don't know of a leader in the world that would put his own ppl in a stadium without the orders and approval from Bush.

Your partisanism is getting so thick it's going beyond the bounds of common sense, and human behavior.

Quote:
John Hogan wrote:

IMPEACH !
If by "impeach," you mean "Impeach Bush first: then establish an independent commission to find whom to impeach, next:" I'd hav to agree.

Otherwise, I suspect that this broadbased call to impeach is another partisan attempt to spread the blame around so that it gets diffused.

Quote:
John Hogan wrote:
Neil - one way to stop the level of politics and anger is to stop using buzz words like refugee.

Refugee is defined in Webster as follows:

Main Entry: ref·u·gee
Pronunciation: "re-fyu-'jE, 're-fyu-"
Function: noun
Etymology: French réfugié, past participle of (se) réfugier to take refuge, from Latin refugium
: one that flees; especially : a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution

The people who are displaced from the hurrican in no sense fit that description, and you are doing a disservice to those actual refugees who exist in the world. I understand your dislike for Bush, but using these politically charged words accomplish nothing and hurt our country in the long run.
Yes, true enough. Refugee is a misnomer. But your spending a whole post on one word is overkill, IMO.

Actually, the proper word is "survivor."

Last edited by Neil Mick : 09-16-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #45
Neil Mick

Quote:
Paige Frazier wrote:
It just seems like to me that no one can get past the whole "republican/democrat stereotypes". People tend to look at the opposite party and hate that person just because they are of that party. Part of me thinks that democrats hate Bush simply because hes not democrat. If Clinton had reacted the exact same way as Bush to Katrina, would u be on here talking bad about him? I would bet not.
Wrong. I'd be the first to yell for Clinton's head on a platter, in that case.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:09 PM   #46
Neil Mick

Quote:
I posted another link that said a flood gate was going to be built, but ENVIRONMENTALISTS stopped it. Lets also blame those that are responsible for decades of destruction of the wetlands around the area, that could've provided additional protection against flooding. This is one of the purposes of wetlands, you know.
I'm sorry, but pointing the finger at environmentalists is more partisan blaming, IMO. I've heard several rumors that the levee was dynamited to flood the lower income areas, saving the tonier properties.

I don't buy it. At this point, an independent commission should be established to determine who should get the measure of the blame. At this point, all we can expect is another bi-partisan whitewash committee...just like 9-11.

Quote:
I have an idea, why don't we take ALL THE PORK in the current budget, and send it to N.O.
Such as, the $5B lost by the Pentagon, in Iraq? Or, the trillions of dollars slated for a "missile defence" system that will destabilize nuclear disarmament attempts?

Excellent idea: perhaps now we can also consider paying our due to the UN, as well.

Quote:
IMPEACH THE MAYOR !
For every 10 calls you make to impeach the local pol's, you make one call to impeach the Pres. An oversight on your part? I don't think so.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #47
Neil Mick

Quote:
John Hogan wrote:
Now there are reports that spending of those cards have taken place at HOOTERS, VICTORIA SECRET, CIRCUIT CITY...
source?

Quote:
I find that question insulting to N.O.'eans. If YOUR city were demolished: YOU'D want it rebuilt, no matter WHAT corruption, etc were going on in your city.

The question is NOT "should N.O. be rebuilt;" but "now that Halliburton, et al is hiring outside help and not consulting the Af-Am community: what color will the New, New Orleans be?"

Will it be the Shiny (White) new City? But we can thank God that Trent Lott's new house will be good as new, after repairs are done.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:54 PM   #48
Neil Mick

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote:
Victoria Secrets does sell regualar underwear as well. You should go in one someday and take a look.
Nah...it's much easier for him to join the media-chorus typecasting blacks as looters and "holdouts."

*Picture of a white person exiting a store in New Orleans with a bag under his hands* .....a man caring for his family in times of emergency.

*Picture of a black person exiting a store in New Orleans with a bag under his hands* ....Looter! Holdout! Deadbeat!

And a note to those ppl who decry those who "aren't working:"consider this:

The Militarization of New Orleans: Jeremy Scahill Reports from Louisiana

Quote:
. I also, two days ago, had the chance to meet one of the wealthiest of citizens of New Orleans, F. Patrick Quinn III. He is the single greatest owner of private rooms in New Orleans. He owns the largest hotel chain in the state of Louisiana, to cater to hotels. He is currently -- he told me that his hotels are being looked at by FEMA to house the workers for the long haul of the so-called reconstruction. I was talking to him, as his head of security and after he pulled off in his S.U.V., about 30 Mexican workers came out of his hotel, and one of his security guards said that they had been brought in from Texas, and in fact another news report, about Patrick Quinn, said that he had brought in workers from Texas as well. So, we have the reality of these shelters full of people wanting work and then you see Mexican workers being brought in from Texas, and when they're done, doing this dirty work, they will be put on the back of trucks, piled into trucks and they go to wherever it is that they were staying.
This man, Patrick Quinn is bidding for these contracts where FEMA potentially could come in and rent out hundreds and hundreds of rooms in his hotel and other businesses are struggling to simply stay alive or scramble to get federal money to rebuild, he is standing to gain a tremendous amount of money from these lucrative federal contracts. It must be noted that he is a major contributor to the Republican party. In fact, his wife was just elected in the special election to the state Senate. Her name is Julie Quinn. And Amy, he has brought in security from a company called B.A.T.S. in Alabama: Bodyguard And Tactical Services. And I was talking to his head of security, I told him I was from New York, he said, I've been to New York during the daily news strike, referring to the strike the at the New York Daily News. Democracy Now! co-host, Juan Gonzalez, is a Daily News columnist was one of the leaders of the strike. I told him that Juan Gonzalez was a colleague of mine and he told me that he spiked Juan Gonzalez's car. He said he had put sugar in the gas tank of Juan Gonzalez's car. The man's name is Michael Montgomery, and he is the head of security for B.A.T.S. Security in Alabama, bragging about spiking the car of Juan Gonzalez and other strike leaders in the New York Daily News strike. He is heading up security for the Decatur Hotel chain, owned by Patrick Quinn, a major businessman in New Orleans, his wife a Republican state senator. This is just one example of cronyism that we see on the ground where the wealthy Republican contributors are being considered now for these tremendous federal contracts.
Let's also not forget that Our Low-Income-Loving President has cut the wage requirements for ppl working under contractors in the disaster area.

So, it's not just a host of (black) deadbeats laying around waiting for handouts: a lot of fatcats are using this situation to their advantage, and completely ignoring the potential manpower in the local community. The repression and the racism is ongoing: and no it's not just at the top.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 09-16-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #49
Hogan

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
Oh please: I don't know of a leader in the world that would put his own ppl in a stadium without the orders and approval from Bush.

Your partisanism is getting so thick it's going beyond the bounds of common sense, and human behavior.
I will look past your attitude and ask again, you have proof that Bush requested these citizens of a forein country to be rounded up and put in a stadium ?

Your paranoia is getting thick, huh ?

Quote:
If by "impeach," you mean "Impeach Bush first: then establish an independent commission to find whom to impeach, next:" I'd hav to agree.
ahahah... stop trying to be so sly...No, this isn't a broadbased call to impeach, this is a direct call to impeach one person.

Quote:
Yes, true enough. Refugee is a misnomer. But your spending a whole post on one word is overkill, IMO.

Actually, the proper word is "survivor."
Your hate of Bush is overkill.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:02 PM   #50
Hogan

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
Wrong. I'd be the first to yell for Clinton's head on a platter, in that case.
Monica has 1st dibs on that...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!