Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-27-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
feck
United Kingdom
Legalizing drugs....

Hi people,

I was talking to a drug counselor the other day, not mine i might add, and he was talking about the impact his idea and some others, might have upon the world.
His idea, is that to truly combat the drug problem most western society's have, is to legalise all drugs and make them freely available. The first thing this would do, would be to reduce all drug related crime to almost zero, thereby the billions spent already on trying and failing to combat the problem , could be better spent somewhere else.

does anyone else have any views on this?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: Legalizing drugs....

Sounds to me as if this "Drug Counselor" has a drug problem and is looking for ways to do drugs.

That's all we need in this world. A society of legally wasted people operating motor vehicles, aircraft and other such things that puts the rest of us at risk of being killed by a drug impaired person.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
feck
United Kingdom

Hi Steven,

So what your suggesting is that the only thing stopping every person on the planet from becoming messed up addicts is that drugs are illegal.
Sorry i don't mean to be critical, but is that the only reason you, yourself do not take drugs because your afraid of going to jail?

Also i should have added in my post that, the counselor, is also a reformed addict that swears he would never be stupid enough to get involved again.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

You asked if anyone else had any views. I gave mine. Everything else you posted are YOUR words, not mine. Read it anyway you want. However I note that you yourself have not given YOUR views on the matter. Just attack mine. Interesting.... Makes one wonder the motivation behind the post. Then again, I'm probably just reading into it, right?

I have no more further to say.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote:
Sounds to me as if this "Drug Counselor" has a drug problem and is looking for ways to do drugs.

That's all we need in this world. A society of legally wasted people operating motor vehicles, aircraft and other such things that puts the rest of us at risk of being killed by a drug impaired person.
I hate to tell you, but we already have a society of wasted people operating motor vehicles (on uppers, cigarettes and alcohol), that put pedestrians and others at risk of being killed.

Automobile accidents in the US alone have killed more ppl than both world wars. This society already has a drug problem: the discrepancy occurs btw "legal" and "illegal" drugs.

Now, class: which drug has absolutely NO proven fatalities from overdose, is known to help with chemotherapy and glaucoma, and yet is rigorously prosecuted by this Administration, even if the state in which this "crime" occurs might make its medicinal use, legal?

OK, you know which drug I'm talking about.

The Rockefeller laws, which criminalize the user instead of treating drugs as an illness, have done squat in reducing the usage of drugs today.

Yes, I think that drugs should be legalized, and then regulated: just as alcohol is regulated. You should get busted for driving while stoned, just as you would for DUI, but this idea of extra punitive measures for the brand of drug you use is mercenary (catering to certain interests, while punishing others), and ultimately ineffective, in creating a better society.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:20 AM   #6
mj

I agree that all drugs should be legalised. Thorny ground though.

To be exact...all drugs should be legislated for and controlled by the national drug authorities in each country.

If anyone can tell me why it is a good thing that we are better of with criminal (and tax free) gangs controlling quality and availabilty of drugs I'd be interested to hear the arguments.

Old 08-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #7
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

I think the Chinese handled the opium epidemic (pandemic?) in the mid-20th century effectively.

Not practical, I know...but what the h***? Neither's the possibility of legalization.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:00 AM   #8
Hogan

Yes, let's make legal what we can't control to get some of the pot (money, I mean).

You know... murder is big in DC, let's just make that legal, too. I think traffic stops / searches for drunk driving really doesn't stop the consumption, so let's just make that legal, too.

Do you folks REALLY want to put your life in the hands of people whose minds have been effected by drugs, if they were free to use them legally ? Drugs do much worse to a person's brain that a beer....
Old 08-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #9
feck
United Kingdom

Hi john,

I was just wondering how many of those murders in DC are drug related.

In my country and america, alcohol is prohibited to under age people and rightly so, and yet in most inner cities, children of all ages usually know where they can buy hard drugs with no trouble.

Would most people, if heroin was regulated, go out and start injecting tommorow, i mean, whats stopping those people now from doing the same right now under present law.

How many people, right now are user's and in jobs where other people's lives depend upon them. Would every airline pilot in the world become heroin junkies, just because the law had changed, I dont think so. How many doctors and surgeons, are actually working and saving lives right now while drunk or stoned, the statistics would not change in my oppion, and maybe even get lower
Old 08-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #10
Hogan

Quote:
Darren Paul wrote:
Hi john, ....
Would most people, if heroin was regulated, go out and start injecting tommorow, i mean, whats stopping those people now from doing the same right now under present law....
Drugs would be cheaper under legalization, and easier to get. Maybe more people would be inclined to try them.

Quote:
How many people, right now are user's and in jobs where other people's lives depend upon them. Would every airline pilot in the world become heroin junkies, just because the law had changed, I dont think so. How many doctors and surgeons, are actually working and saving lives right now while drunk or stoned, the statistics would not change in my oppion, and maybe even get lower
Drugs have many long term, irreversable damage / consequences on behavior and the brain, many of which do not happen with the occasional drink. How many people you know seem wasted from a life time of abuse, but are 'fine' now because they gave it up long ago ? The damage is done.

No, not everyone will become a junky, but do you want to take that chance ? You take public transportation ? Maybe your bus driver would be a prolific user, with his reactions dulled by use, even though he may not be 'high' right then....
Old 08-29-2005, 02:55 PM   #11
makuchg

United_States

John,

Doesn't alcohol also have these risks on health and also impared motor vehicle operation? Don't you encounter the same risks with a drunk driver on public transportation? What about the affect of prescription as well as OTC medicine (Nyquill, etc) that also impair motor skills.

Just becuase you legalize something does not make people use it. Prohibition showed that legalizing alcohol did not increase the number of drunks. Although specific numbers are not available, the Department of Commerce has documented that alcohol related deaths actually decreased following prohibition.

Gregory Makuch
Wandering Ronin
Chesapeake, VA
Old 08-29-2005, 03:47 PM   #12
Hogan

Quote:
Gregory Makuch wrote:
John,

Doesn't alcohol also have these risks on health and also impared motor vehicle operation? Don't you encounter the same risks with a drunk driver on public transportation? What about the affect of prescription as well as OTC medicine (Nyquill, etc) that also impair motor skills.

Just becuase you legalize something does not make people use it. Prohibition showed that legalizing alcohol did not increase the number of drunks. Although specific numbers are not available, the Department of Commerce has documented that alcohol related deaths actually decreased following prohibition.
No, you folks miss the point. If someone is 'drunk', it is obvious. However, if someone has been smoking pot for some time, their control is somewhat inhibited, i.e., their reaction time, their thought, etc.... BUT they appear normal. Know what I mean ? I personally know someone who, although she is in her 50's, still does the occasional pot.... and I would not trust her with any vehicle as I can see how her mind is. The pot smoking has done them long term damage but they appear OK. Non-public transport drivers on the road are a concern, of course, but nyquil and other drugs say you shouldn't operate motor vehicles. Does that stop people ? Noooooooooo. However, PUBLIC transport drivers, since they are responsible for their cargo, are even more of a concern.

Note I never said making it legal will MAKE people use it. I said that legalization will increase usage, at least temporarily because it will be (i) cheaper and (ii) more plentiful and (iii) people who didn't try it because of illegalities will be tempted to 'try it out' to see what all the hubub is about. Maybe it'll become the 'in thing' to do.... imagine..... pot cafe's..... "needles r' us" stores on every corner.....back alley abortions... (oops, sorry, I was channeling Ted Kennedy...)

And maybe the alcohol deaths decreased following prohibition simply because of all the drunk moonshiners stopped speeding away from the coppers....

My point is that you don't legalize something that inhibits and damages a body / mind because you think it'll save money (from less crime enforcement), provide more money to the gov (from the goc taking it's cut), or cut down on traffic deaths... or because it would just 'be easier'.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:53 PM   #13
makuchg

United_States

I still disagree with your logic John. I know several alcoholics that can drink a fifth of Jack Daniels in an evening and "look" sober. Many people pass field sobriety tests (which measure nothing other than ability to follow direction and motor coordination) and fail breathalizers. You rationale about not being able to tell is ill-informed.

As for increased usage, there is no reliable information to support that claim. In fact, I would argue legalized drugs would be more expensive after government taxation, not to mention the boost to farmers with a new cash crop.

Gregory Makuch
Wandering Ronin
Chesapeake, VA
Old 08-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #14
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Darren Paul wrote:
Hi people,
I was talking to a drug counselor the other day, not mine i might add, and he was talking about the impact his idea and some others, might have upon the world.
His idea, is that to truly combat the drug problem most western society's have, is to legalise all drugs and make them freely available. The first thing this would do, would be to reduce all drug related crime to almost zero, thereby the billions spent already on trying and failing to combat the problem , could be better spent somewhere else.does anyone else have any views on this?
Legalizing all drugs are dangerous. Heroin, Ectacy, Ice, Speed, K are all poison. These substances have no medical use or too dangerous to for medical use or where its potential to harm is greater than its potential to cure; or where better/safer alternative exist. Why then legalize something which has no beneficiaLrole to play in our society?

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:28 AM   #15
Hogan

Quote:
Gregory Makuch wrote:
I still disagree with your logic John. I know several alcoholics that can drink a fifth of Jack Daniels in an evening and "look" sober. Many people pass field sobriety tests (which measure nothing other than ability to follow direction and motor coordination) and fail breathalizers. You rationale about not being able to tell is ill-informed.
You fail to grasp what I am saying. I will say one more time and then leave it - drugs have many long term unrecoverable effects on the body and brain that liquor does not. If you don't believe me, then goody for you.

Quote:
As for increased usage, there is no reliable information to support that claim. In fact, I would argue legalized drugs would be more expensive after government taxation, not to mention the boost to farmers with a new cash crop.
Well, then more power to your belief, as ill-informed they are.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:47 AM   #16
Taliesin

The problem with legalizing drugs is that it legitimizes their use.

I'm fairly certain that the number of alcoholics in the USA drastically increased after Prohibition was repealed. Indeed I find it hard to think of an activity that has been reduced by legalization.

As far as the argument that - your bus driver may be an addict - that's true now (as has been pointed out)

The problem of comparisons is that it is based on the premise that you can swop the problems of alcohol for those of drugs - when in fact you simply add them on top.

As far as risk is concerned - the UK is a country where suicide is legal - so any argument about harm becomes absurd.

The problem with drugs is addiction - if you are physically addicted to something then you have no free choice about taking it or not.

As far as the cost argument is concerned and the suggestion that people would not turn to crime to pay for it - look at your alcoholics on the street and ask yourself even if these drugs were legal how long could someone function properly in employment whilst addicted, and what would happen if they lost their job? Where is your reduction in crime then?

Just a few random thoughts for you to consider.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #17
feck
United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Just another question to add into the mix, does anyone here actually believe the war on drugs is ever going to be successful?

If satellites can now tell what plant species are growing in areas, wouldn't the right thing to do, be to eradicate all illegal drug species and create a war with all those countries that create the drugs if they denied military involvement in accomplishing this?

Anyway thanks for all the responses so far, and please keep them coming.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #18
Hogan

Quote:
Darren Paul wrote:
... does anyone here actually believe the war on drugs is ever going to be successful?....
Not as long as there are people who see nothing wrong with drugs, who believe use has no effect on the body, or believe that it is useless to fight drugs anymore because it's just 'too hard' to fight.

But what is success ? Decreasing use ? Decreasing supply ? Successful rehab ? Total destruction of the worldwide supply ? Turning people's views against use ?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #19
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

The better law enforcement does in the war on drugs, the more rare drugs become in small areas. The "drier" a town becomes, the more people are willing to pay to get them. The better the money gets in trafficking or dealing drugs, the more new criminals we find trying to make some quick bucks...

Doesn't it all just suck?

One horrible thing about drugs is how hard they are to quit. More money should probably go into treatment, IMHO. I hope we find the solution, 'cause the money's too good for some to pass up and living next to dealers sucks.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:30 PM   #20
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry

I've been trying very hard not to get sucked into this one but there are a few points that need to be addressed. Heroin does have medicinal use, they just call it Diamorphine sulphate in the medical profession and it is an extremely powerful painkiller (less addictive than nicotine according to the AMA). MDMA (ecstasy) is an appetite suppressant, first used in the first world war but dropped because of its tendency to reduce and even negate aggression. I would suggest looking up the "therapeutic indices" of various drugs, both taxed and untaxed, and you might get a different view. As an aside, THC (the main active ingredient in Cannabis is less poisonous to the human body than chocolate). The long-term effects of cannabis smoking have not been researched in large-scale studies to date, the only studies have all been small-scale and the results have been sensationalised by the press to their own ends when the results have been ambiguous. This doesn't mean I want to be flown by a stoned pilot or driven by an alcoholic chauffeur, but the history of repression of drugs by interested parties gives me no confidence in the fairness or even-handedness of any government. YMMV

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 08-30-2005, 05:53 PM   #21
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

You folks should spend some time in a crack-house selling rocks to "crack-whores" who'll come in shaking with a few dollars-in-hand saying "Please. I'll do anything."

Or, have friends whose mothers are away for a week at a time on coke-binges.

The Fed is there for protection from outside invaders. That's what drug-cartels are.

Let the community deal with what gets there.

Maybe you should run down to your local inner-city to see what it's all about.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #22
makuchg

United_States

Funny Jean, I thought the Fed was here to represent the people, not think for them. Almost all the arguments I have heard are related to the inherent risks of drugs on the users, here's a novel idea don't use them.

As long as we let the government regulate morality they will. Since the argument was raised against crack-whores and coke mothers, I'm assuming (I know, I know) Jean is arguing drugs should be outlawed because they make these people unfit parents. Very noble idea, but while we're at it why don't we have an IQ test to prevent mentally retarded people from having children since the majority are unable to care for the baby adaquately. When you start down this road it leads directly away from FREEDOM (Note my Mel Gibson battle cry).

As for John, <quote>You fail to grasp what I am saying. I will say one more time and then leave it - drugs have many long term unrecoverable effects on the body and brain that liquor does not. If you don't believe me, then goody for you.</quote> Once again you demonstrate you ability to discuss controversial issues in a mature, articulate manner. Rather than provide facts or references to strengthen you argument, you demonstrate you propensity for immaturity-well done.

James, excellent comments and insightful information.

Gregory Makuch
Wandering Ronin
Chesapeake, VA
Old 08-31-2005, 12:03 AM   #23
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Darren Paul wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just another question to add into the mix, does anyone here actually believe the war on drugs is ever going to be successful?

If satellites can now tell what plant species are growing in areas, wouldn't the right thing to do, be to eradicate all illegal drug species and create a war with all those countries that create the drugs if they denied military involvement in accomplishing this?

Anyway thanks for all the responses so far, and please keep them coming.
I don't know Darren, we may never win this war, but at least we hope to send a message to the masses that it is not OK to be dependent on illicit substances. By not doing anything, we indirectly imply to the masses that abuse of illicit substance is OK. Just my logical way of interpreting stuff.

Heroin no doubt is a powerful painkiller, but its potential to be abuse (addictiveness) far outweighs its potential to treat. Like I said earlier, it no longer has any role to play in the modern medical treatment because there are safer alternatives. I cannot think if any country in the world still legitimize the use of heroin (diamorphine sulphate) for medical purpose; certainly not mine.

Ecstasy (MDMA) role as an appetite suppressant has been superseded by safer alternative such as phentermine or silbutramine.

Although such drug as you mention may once upon a time had some medical use, their risk of harm outweighs their ability to do good, and with the emergence of better alternative, it is only natural that their use in the medical treatment is stopped.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:52 AM   #24
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry

I live in the UK where the opiates ( Heroin, Morphine and Codeine) are still in use regularly in medicine, as are the Cocaine derivatives. As to a "better" alternative painkiller than the opiates, if you've found any for severe pain, bring 'em on, you'll make a fortune.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 08-31-2005, 07:08 AM   #25
Hogan

Quote:
Gregory Makuch wrote:
....As for John, <quote>You fail to grasp what I am saying. I will say one more time and then leave it - drugs have many long term unrecoverable effects on the body and brain that liquor does not. If you don't believe me, then goody for you.</quote> Once again you demonstrate you ability to discuss controversial issues in a mature, articulate manner. Rather than provide facts or references to strengthen you argument, you demonstrate you propensity for immaturity-well done......
I wasn't the one that called someone 'ill-informed' when they couldn't grasp what a person was saying, of because they disagreed with someone, or called someone 'immature' in this thread. You sink rather low very quickly. But if you still want to ignore the fact that you still fail to grasp what I was saying, that's OK. Should I have said "Bully for you" instead ? Or how about, "more power to you" ?

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com