Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-25-2005, 01:58 AM   #26
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: learning 2 arts at the same time

hallo, the thing about the different subjects in high school is actually a weak argument, because high school was still one school. In gassho
Old 08-25-2005, 07:31 AM   #27
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
hallo, the thing about the different subjects in high school is actually a weak argument, because high school was still one school. In gassho
And, to me this parallels using as examples both Morihei Ueshiba and Dan Inosanto. These two are often brought up as examples of crosstrainers. Post Omoto Kyo, Morihei considered any martial art he practiced to be an expression of his Omoto Kyo, meaning Aikido. With Mr. Inosanto, the same can probably be said about him post Bruce Lee. It seems to me that he studies new martial arts with a Jeet Kune Do eye. Thus, even though he is learning about a new art, he is doing JKD.

Charles
Old 08-25-2005, 10:21 AM   #28
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
So? I'm learning Kali, Serak, Aikido, and Tai Chi at one school: http://www.fulllifefitness.baka.com/

Karate is the only thing at a different locale.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:24 AM   #29
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
And, to me this parallels using as examples both Morihei Ueshiba and Dan Inosanto ..... With Mr. Inosanto, the same can probably be said about him post Bruce Lee. It seems to me that he studies new martial arts with a Jeet Kune Do eye. Thus, even though he is learning about a new art, he is doing JKD.

Charles
Maybe, but he still advocates people going out and crosstraining. My Kali instructor, whose instructorship is in LaCoste Inosanto Kali, has told me he's happy with everything I'm doing.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #30
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

even japanese and american kindergarten are are very different. we are impressed always, by the first things we go into. There is actually nothing wrong with using aikido to improve your aikido.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #31
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States

I guess we need to define what type of training one wants to do. Some people train in various arts to combine them. They want a variety of arts to draw from depending on their situation. Others are purist who believe that arts should not be combined. They think once you combine it with another art it becomes something different entirely.
I'm sure there are other opinions and points of view on the subject, but these are the two I've heard the most.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #32
ikkitosennomusha

There were alot of great responses. I tend to gravitate toward the idea that one should not cross train another MA while studying aikido. Yoga is not a MA and therefore something like that is ok.

The ideology and methodolgy meaning the principles and they way aikidoka do things is vastly different and in my opinioin, superior to that of many MAs out there.

In addition, when subjecting yoursefl to other MAs, you are actively submitting yourself to the syndrome of "Master of None". What I mean is, you may know something about various arts but to realistically expect yourself to master any giving one of them is unlikely.

Try sticking to Aikido. Be patient and really submerge yourself. If you are one in spirit with the principles of aikido, you will find no need for another art.

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches