Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #26
JohnDavis

Dojo: None...None near me and I can't afford dues anyway.
United_States
Re: Aikido: Your purpose in life ?

Quote:
Jiawei Lee wrote:
Hi John, hey , that wasn't my story -that was Akira Tohei Sensei's beginnings from Aikido online ! Haha !! No Aikido is not my sole goal for living . This ....I've explained in several threads earlier....the question of Aikido as being the purpose of life sparked curiousity in me because I read the interview with Sensei Tohei from Aikido online...hee. I don't intend to be Uchi Deshi. Not yet at least.
Doh! I don't know of Akira Tohei Sensei. Is he related to Koichi Tohei Sensei? If so, I'm certainly glad he found Aikido (but no more then if he is not related). Still, it was a great question.

You never know about rank in Aikido. Personally, I never practice with an eye on a rank, just for fun. Who knows, you may become an Uchi Deshi some day .

Happy Shugyo,

John B. Davis
Old 08-12-2005, 12:38 AM   #27
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Quote:
Mats Alritzson wrote:
I think you should be very careful not to let one interest define your whole life.
Mats, even though I see where you are coming from, I must say that I am a bit fed with people telling others not to be enthusiastic (which is possibly not what you meant anyway, but that is how comments like that get accross to me - no offense meant). When I first started aikido I wanted to practice more than just twice a week and was told "oh no, don´t practice so much, it is not good for you". Duh??? Would they say that to an uchi deshi, too? Why on earth is it a bad thing to be enthusistic, to really enjoy something so much that you want to do it every day (uh.... okay, I admit that this depends heavily on the activity and on the question whether any kind of addiction is involved ).
I guess there are different paths for different people and if somebody wanted to go out and spend the rest of their life practicing aikido because it actually *does* give meaning to their life, then what the heck?! What´s so bad about that?

Kind regards,
Sonja
Old 08-12-2005, 01:07 AM   #28
Ian Upstone

There are far worse things we could be doing with our time.

When I see groups of young'uns hanging around in town centres, either bored or trying to intimidate people, I reckon they'd be better off throwing each other around on a mat somewhere!

Give them some direction other than to the off license.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:24 AM   #29
Mats Alritzson
Dojo: Malmö Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Sonja, I often come across like a besserwisser telling people to do this and that when I only want to share my beliefs and thoughts. I'm used to it so no offense taken. And it is only that, a friendly advice. I can't tell you what to do with your life. I can only tell you what I would do in a similar situation. Why would I ever want to criticize someone, what would I gain from that?

Regards,
Mats
Old 08-12-2005, 05:19 AM   #30
Sonja2012

Germany

Mats, that´s alright. No harm done, no offense taken Glad we got that sorted

Regards,
Sonja

PS:
Quote:
Mats Alritzson wrote:
besserwisser
I am impressed by how many German words have entered the English language Unfortunately they all seem to be words for "negative" stuff, like Besserwisser, Blitzkrieg, Angst and Achtung. Weird, that... Sorry, that was completely OT
Old 08-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #31
Paul Smith

Quote:
Rebecca Montange wrote:
Not quite true. Grad students all over are given over to their advisors. Even in my case, where my advisor is, in addition to being talented, a genuinely decent human being, it's no picnic. And for those of my peers who have advisors who are just plain cruel...

Aikido hasn't given my life meaning. It's added meaning maybe, and certainly given me tools to solve my problems with (and no, I'm not talking about yonkyo, though for some problems it's tempting), but aikido is not my reason for being.
Rebecca, having spent some time as a grad student (phD program, UC Berkeley), I well understand you.

At least in my experience, however, while it may have been rigorous, it was not a guru relationship, because my job as a grad student was quite the opposite from my job as an uchideshi. For the former, I was encouraged, it was even demanded of me, to think critically, to build arguments, to pose theories. For the latter, it was absolutely the construct for me to learn to get out of the way fully, do what I could to empty myself, my ego, my everything, and to in essence steal my Teacher's mind, rather than posit my own perspective.

In my experience, it is inherent to the guru-apprentice relationship that before true learning can take place, absolute acceptance and trust in, and obedience to, the teacher has to be a given. And I think this is foreign to we in the west, and we in modernity.

I am talking about an experience where every mode of your life -how and when you sleep; how and when you prepare meals and how and when you eat; how you relate, learn from, and teach other students; how you put nails in drywall, vacuum floors, clean toilets; how in short you do everything - is an opportunity for direct teaching, under a severity designed to prevent lighting down. In fact, I felt at sea virtually the entire time I lived as uchideshi. But it hit home with me when, prior to beginning my term, Sensei said, "you live this, you can learn anything." I think he was right, and I think this is the key difference between this kind of teaching and the teaching I knew formerly. Much of the path was not the accretion of knowledge, but the destruction of rigidly held beliefs and habits.

Paul

Last edited by Paul Smith : 08-12-2005 at 05:43 AM.

Paul Smith
Old 08-12-2005, 05:42 AM   #32
Paul Smith

Quote:
Sonja McGough wrote:
Mats, that´s alright. No harm done, no offense taken Glad we got that sorted

Regards,
Sonja

PS:

I am impressed by how many German words have entered the English language Unfortunately they all seem to be words for "negative" stuff, like Besserwisser, Blitzkrieg, Angst and Achtung. Weird, that... Sorry, that was completely OT
One word, peerless in its excellence: BIER. (at least that's how I "say" it).

Paul Smith
Old 08-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #33
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany

Fahrfenugen

danke...danke sehr viel!
Old 08-13-2005, 02:26 AM   #34
Sonja2012

Germany

Fahrvergnügen and Bier? So apart from Blitzkrieg we Germans are known for cars and booze? Thanks guys, that has made me feel much better

Sorry, promise to stay on topic in the future...
Old 08-13-2005, 06:47 AM   #35
Mashu

You forgot lederhosen and cuckoo clocks.

As far as Aikido being a sole purpose in life I think that would be very un-aiki like.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #36
giriasis
United_States

Food, too, Sonja. -- Frankfurters (hot dogs) and sauerkraut.

and Names...

My mothers maiden name is Groover (Gruber -- with umlauts over the "u").

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #37
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Opinion: Aikido is how you get places, not where you get to.

Re the German connection - As I understand it, English is primarily a Germanic language (Eg, volk - folk) due to the Anglo Saxon heritage of most of the English - with a little French corruption

I also heard that in the early days of the USA, English was only chosen over German as the countries official language by one vote. Might be true?

Mark
Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 AM   #38
Sonja2012

Germany

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote:
I also heard that in the early days of the USA, English was only chosen over German as the countries official language by one vote. Might be true?
I actually read somewhere that this was when the world´s leading countries voted over what would be the "world language". My husband (English, living in Germany and still struggling with the German genders and cases) says the world has no idea of how lucky we all are that it didn´t happen. German can be a b#?%ch sometimes

Anne Marie, so you´ve got German heritage?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #39
guest89893
Dojo: Jihonjuku/ St.Pete. FL
United_States

Quote:
Jiawei Lee wrote:
Has Aikido given you a purpose in life ? A sense of direction : that Aikido is all you ever wanted and all you would ever want to do over and over in this life ?
Yes.

Of course felt the same way about music, teaching, and most importantly my family. Because Aikido is a part of my life it adds purpose to my life. It gives a sense of direction or perhaps better stated it clarifies the direction I am going. During summer months I spend more time on the Aikido boards and during the school year more time on teaching websites. Most times though I am training and hopefully it is a postive influence on those I train with and those I love. In regards to the Aikido class that I teach, I spend a huge amount of time before class just thinking about the class. And let's not forget my wife's second most spoken words to me, no wait that would be "I love you" The first most spoken phrases to me are "Stop hitting that or stop trying to put the steering wheel in IKKYO and just drive."
But you see I was the same way about playing the guitar, their were those who played for fun & at friends parties and then their were those of us who played professionally, in which it was a passion and an obsession. Same is true for me regarding Aikido. But that's just me.
regards,
Gene

Last edited by guest89893 : 08-15-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:42 PM   #40
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Sonja McGough wrote:
I actually read somewhere that this was when the world´s leading countries voted over what would be the "world language". My husband (English, living in Germany and still struggling with the German genders and cases) says the world has no idea of how lucky we all are that it didn´t happen. German can be a b#?%ch sometimes

Anne Marie, so you´ve got German heritage?
It has been said that English is a Germanic pidgin spoken with a Welsh accent, bastard grammar and a Latin inferiority complex.

Cheers
Erick Mead
Old 08-23-2005, 04:48 PM   #41
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Jiawei Lee wrote:
Has Aikido given you a purpose in life ? A sense of direction : that Aikido is all you ever wanted and all you would ever want to do over and over in this life ? Have you ever thought of even being an uchi deshi at the hombu dojos and dreamed of having a close bunch of fellow deshis to share your life with ?
I can't say Aikido gave me my over-all purpose in life. It was my purpose in life which essentially gave me Aikido as a paradigm through which to exercise and refine its manifestation. To me Aikido is a name I found which describes my idealized sense of how to live. I have thought about trying to be an uchideshi, but now that would be impractical for me to do for any large amount of time.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #42
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
It has been said that English is a Germanic pidgin spoken with a Welsh accent, bastard grammar and a Latin inferiority complex.

Cheers
Erick Mead
Erick! That was the funniest thing I've read in a while! Thanks for that great laugh! Coincidentally, I think it's a case of being funny 'cause it's true!
Take care!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 08-30-2005, 12:19 AM   #43
Orobbin
Dojo: Niagra park youth centre, Ren Shin Kan
Australia
Ai symbol Re: Aikido: Your purpose in life ?

why you say aikido is your purpose in life is because it may be your only spiritual outlet....

many people have different way to fulfill them selves it just seems simply put that this is your way of connecting back to that spiritual source of life...
Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 AM   #44
Mannix Moya

Dojo: Quezon City Aikido Club
Philippines

Hmm..its been quite a while since my last post

For me, aikido and other martial arts in general mirror life..discipline..timing..control..self mastery etc.

There are times that I was able to manage heated/passionate office discussions using what I learned on the mat.. (no I didn't throw them around ). Rather, I was able to influence the discussion to a win-win situation. However, I'm still learning and trying to improve everyday.

This is how aikido works for me, I can't say its true for others. But in my life, it is
Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #45
Anita Dacanay
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai, Cleveland, Ohio
United_States

I think that Jiawei has posed a very interesting and valid question. People practice Aikido for many reasons, I am often told. For me, Aikido is many things, but it is definitely a spiritual practice.

In that regard, I would think that a passionate devotion to Aikido, i.e. a life dedicated to Aikido, would be a noble thing indeed. My personal goal, although I am nowhere near attaining it, would be to live a life true to the principles of Aikido at all times, in all areas of my life. We don't have to be on the mat, physically engaged in ikkyo or kaitenage, to be practicing Aikido. We can be working, taking care of our children, going to school - whatever - and still be trying to manifest harmony within and without in the spirit of O Sensei's teachings.

I am currently reading "A Life in Aikido," and am not surprised to discover that O Sensei was indeed a human being, with human flaws and frailties like every other human being I have known. This only makes his devotion and sincerity more admirable to me, because it reminds me of the great effort he must have put into developing his mind, body, and spirit. What if we all put forth that kind of effort in trying to live a good life? What might the world look like? Maybe we could find the energy and means to clean up that BP oil spill? We live in very superficial times, when it is easy to be glib, cynical, and dismissive; perhaps a bit more devotion and sincerity might be a good thing in this day and age.

I think that Aikido relates to and informs every part of my daily life, so maybe it would be valid to say that it has given me a purpose.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #46
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I don't need Aikido to give me a purpose in life. I have a purpose and aikido is part of it. I have learned a lot from aikido---like working with different people, styles etc, etc. I try to pass on what Tomiki shihan, and others, have taught me and what others have shown me. This is how aikido will continue to grow. For me, the purpose of aikido, among many purposes, to to spread the wealth to those who want to learn it. Aikido is to enjoy so train and be happy and pass it on.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #47
RED
United_States

I think there's a point where men do Aikido, then there are points where Aikido does men.
I'm not a fan of the last bit.
There's always the guy that comes in, trains constantly, saying martial arts is his life, then quits 2 months later burnt out. You can't like, lose yourself. You have to be a man doing Aikido.

MM
Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #48
lbb
United_States

...or even a woman doing aikido.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #49
Lilyfae
Dojo: Aikido of Winnipeg
Canada

I have been studying aikido for about a year now. I have met so many wonderful people, who are like family to me now. We train hard, and encourage each other on and off the mat. I couldn't imagine my life without aikido. I have also become a lot more self aware and willing to try new (often terrifying) things. Aikido can be considered a way of life, one that I would certainly like to live by.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #50
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

Obvously, there are more important things in life than aikido. My wife and my job, for instance. But I don't think it is exaggerating to say that aikido has helped me find new purpose in life. It has provided me with new motivation to make a better and healthier person out of myself.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com