Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Aikido Concepts Seen in Movies

What have you seen where?

Off the top of my head, I think of:

KUZUSHI

* RAN—I think it was this movie in which a woman presents her husband's dead helmet to her lord and just as he reaches for it, tosses it up in the air. He grabs for it and she pulls his WAKIZASHI on and puts it to his throat to coerce some political point or another (Ellis Amdur writes that this type of trick is coded into the first kata in Araki-ryu).

* James Garner had a few examples of KUZUSHI. In Support Your Local Sheriff, he put his finger right into a feller's gun barrel when it was brandished in his face.

* He also lured bully-boys Bruce Lee and William Smith into imprudent action. He taunted assassin Lee about something while standing in front of a picture window. Lee launched himself at Garner with a flying side kick, went right through the plate glass window, and down dozens of floors to the concrete below.

* Smith--who wanted to thrash him--into a bathroom, poured the liquid soap onto the floor and then taunted Smith about his masculinity and sexual preferences when he came in. Smith launched a huge front kick, fell onto the back of his head and rose groggily in time for Garner's right cross. Ow. Another Garner ruse serves duty immediately below:

ZANSHIN

* Finding himself captured by henchmen, Garner flicks his fresh-lit cigarette into face of some mountain of muscle/enforcer. The goon doesn't flinch but does beat Garner to the roundhouse.

* The classic example of ZANSHIN, of course, is the suspicious samurai in 7 Samurai who refuses the invitation to enter the room in which a boy is about to smack him on the head with a staff. (Mifune took one right on the pate.)

MUSUBI

* Liam Neeson, challenged by some sword-brandishing hot-head in Rob Roy demanding a duel to first blood, grabs the sword, slides his hand along it, shows the slice and blood in his palm, and quips, "Well fought, man!"

How about you?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 08-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Aikido Concepts Seen in Movies

Quote:
* Smith--who wanted to thrash him--into a bathroom, poured the liquid soap onto the floor and then taunted Smith about his masculinity and sexual preferences when he came in. Smith launched a huge front kick, fell onto the back of his head and rose groggily in time for Garner's right cross. Ow.
I think I remember this one...wasn't the front kicker a cross-dresser or something?

Ron (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #3
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States

Mel Gibson in the "Patriot" as he chases down the redcoats in the forest when they've first taken his son.

Mel - not Gibson - Barker
Old 08-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #4
Roy
Canada

The movie "ONBAK," was incredible!! Most of the fight scenes were Maui Ty, but there were quite a few Aiki moves in it
Old 08-09-2005, 10:24 PM   #5
Don_Modesto

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I think I remember this one...wasn't the front kicker a cross-dresser or something?

Ron (not that there's anything wrong with that...)
Don't recall. Maybe that's what Garner goaded him with.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 08-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
Erik

Michael Bolton: You were supposed to come in Saturday. What were you doing?

Peter Gibbons: Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:35 AM   #7
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan

Movie names would be helpful.. a lot of us aren't old enough to place those :P
Old 08-10-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
Ulises Garcia

Mexico

Quote:
Erik Haselhofer wrote:
Michael Bolton: You were supposed to come in Saturday. What were you doing?

Peter Gibbons: Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be.
Wasn't that the "Office Space" movie? I remember there being a namesake to Michael Bolton, and the main character (whose name I can't recall) having skipped one day's work (satruday, precisely) on account of an ill-fated hypnosis session, had a new state of conciousness, which basically allowed him to stop caring about the problems at work.

Cheers,
-U-

"He who dies with the most toys...still dies."
Old 08-10-2005, 11:17 AM   #9
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

"The Bourne Identity": Jason Bourne goes into the American Embassy, a US Marine puts his hand on Bourne's shoulder, Bourne reaches across and slaps a killer sankyo on the Marine and then hauls him over the shoulder in a spectacular shoulder throw. Happens quick, watched it several (okay, LOTS) of times. Most excellent!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
Eric Webber
United_States

...And, the Japanses version of "Shall We Dance?": tons of aiki principles being used in ballroom dancing. Great movie, especially for a date!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:27 AM   #11
TomikiRoninNYC
Dojo: Tomiki Ronin Aikido NY
United_States

The Bourne Identity - Matt Damon pulls a kuzushi move when he's got two guys attacking him...
Old 08-10-2005, 11:34 AM   #12
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

Ummm...I'm sure you'd find more aikido techniques, concepts, and principles in most Steven Seagal films. I know what y'all mean and all with the examples as I agree those are "aiki" concepts...but yeah...what about Steven Seagal or, better yet, the Japanese samurai films like the Zatoichi series and "Seven Samurai"?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:52 AM   #13
akiy

Hi Don,

Were you looking for physical manifestations of aikido techniques in movies (eg Seagal applying kotegaeshi on an attacker), or were you more looking for instances aikido "principles" shown through a character's actions, lines, or behavior?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:01 PM   #14
pointy
Dojo: aikido of park slope

lily tomlin in "i <3 huckabees," when she brushes
brad's (jude law) hair aside while he's all mad at her. or was it jason schwartzman?

blending, or something. seemed very aiki and beautiful, despite my lack of memory skills
Old 08-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #15
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Eastwood's "The Unforgiven":

- Gene Hackman explaining to the biographer how "fast is slow, and smooth is quick." (in drawing your firearm in a gunfight)

- Clint Eastwood's character commenting on "Shu" - when he's talking to the biographer and the biographer wants him to dissect the final shoot-out order intellectually as the Gene Hackman character did for him early on, and Eastwood's character says, (something like), "I don't know, the order has just sort of always come natural to me."

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #16
Don_Modesto

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Hi Don,

Were you looking for physical manifestations of aikido techniques in movies (eg Seagal applying kotegaeshi on an attacker)
Hi, Jun,

No.

Quote:
or were you more looking for instances aikido "principles" shown through a character's actions, lines, or behavior?
Yes.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 08-10-2005, 06:28 PM   #17
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Kevin Spacey as Prot in K-Pax.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:38 PM   #18
Erik

Quote:
Ulises Garcia wrote:
Wasn't that the "Office Space" movie? I remember there being a namesake to Michael Bolton, and the main character (whose name I can't recall) having skipped one day's work (satruday, precisely) on account of an ill-fated hypnosis session, had a new state of conciousness, which basically allowed him to stop caring about the problems at work.
It was! Funniest damn movie I've ever seen. I still watch it everytime it comes on.

Helps if you've been in tech.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:57 AM   #19
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

The scene in loads of old slapstick comedies (Keystone Cops, Buster Keaton, L&H, etc.), where someone takes a huge run up to break down a door and the door opens just as they get there.

The scene in the temple near the beginning of Sanjuro, where Toshiro Mifune's character pushes
several samurai henchmen out the door. Perfect irimi.

Any number of the moves Roadrunner pulls on poor old Wile e Coyote.

Sean
x
Old 08-11-2005, 05:34 AM   #20
daniel loughlin
Dojo: Oldham
United Kingdom

aragorn in lord of the rings the two towers shows mercy towards wormtongue he is humble throught the finlm as well and is always aware of his surroundings

Danny Loughlin
Old 08-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #21
hideouse

A movie titled, I think, "Brother", in which the protagonist, a yakuza (who fled to Los Angeles after being on the losing side of a gang war) is taken at gunpoint in a car on his way to his execution. After waiting a bit to calm his kidnappers sown, reaches forward gently and pushes the gun hand slightly away from himself, and coincidentally toward the driver's back. The villain with the gun naturally pulls the trigger, shooting the driver, while the protagonist dispatches the gun holder.
No fuss, no muss, very committed action with minimum effort and maximum benefit: protagonist saved and villains unable to cause any more harm.

all roads lead to rome,,, so don't they all lead away as well?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #22
Eric Webber
United_States

Any James Bond movie with Sean Connery or Pierce Brosnon. To be that damn cool you have to exude aiki.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:21 PM   #23
Don_Modesto

Never seen him myself, but a friend of mine hails the aiki of Michael Jordan trash talking on the court.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 08-14-2005, 07:30 PM   #24
MM
United_States

Well, I would have thought a mention of one of the Star Wars movies would have been made by now. The scene near the end of Return of the Jedi where the Emporer wants Luke to give in to his rage and slay Darth Vader, but Luke finds an inner peace and resolves the conflict in a way no one would have thought possible. Vader gives up the Dark Side and saves his son.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:01 PM   #25
malsmith
Dojo: Masters of Aikido in Fogelsville
United_States

im not sure if it was considered aikido, it may have been jujutsu.... but in the movie blade 3 theres a scene where these guys are grappling and stuff and they did some technique that i had done before at a seminar.... i was like "!!!!!!!"

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!