Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #26
dyffcult
United_States
Re: Lady Aikido

Hrmmmm......

I personally prefer that people train to my ability rather than my sex. (Actually, I prefer when people train just a wee bit above my ability.) I love it when my partner gives me valid attacks, resists my technique sufficiently that I must practice technique and not strength, and accepts my attack and executes technique according to my level.

I have encountered partners who give me weak ukemi, but generally more because they were beginners who knew no better. I have encountered "thugs" who try to resist my technique through strength -- and generally fail when they are newbies (less so when they are more advanced and I am simply doing a technique incorrectly!). And those same "thugs" who try to power through a technique and are then surprised when my ukemi resists them.

I have had very high ranking sempai utterly resist my technique until done correctly, all with patient instruction and glad smiles when I got it right. Actually, that's how I finally came to understand koshi nage ko ku ho -- I had an uke who would not let me do it until I did it right. I also had bruises on my wrist for a week, but strangely enough no pain. I am still thankful for his ukemi.

The only partner that ever truly executed yonkyo on me was another female. She would try until she did it right and I dropped to the mat like a stone. I also had bruises from that for a week, but I guarantee she had a good idea about yonkyo after that!!! She also refused to drop until I had executed yonkyo correctly, which I greatly appreciated.

I once had a male partner that threw me so hard from a technique that I almost rolled right out of the dojo and down the steps. Of course, sensei thereafter instructed me that I needed to practice my ukemi more rigorously! My poor partner got chewed out for not training to the level of his uke -- not really his fault, we had been going at it like gangbusters and my taijutsu was much better than my ukemi at the time (still is actually). The point here is that I appreciated his level of training with me. He really pushed my training.

Another time, a guy and I were partnered during some kata with the jo. We kept going faster and faster until I finally missed a block. (Thinking to hard...) I had a bruise and a knot on my leg for two weeks. If he had not been the level he was and pulled his strike in time, I probably would have suffered a broken leg. Come to think of it, he also got chewed out by sensei for practicing beyond my ability -- even though I kept encouraging him to go faster.... But again, I appreciated the fact that he would push my training.

While fairly well-endowed, I have never, ever had anyone come even remotely close to kneeing my breasts in any technique. Quite frankly, I can't see how any woman ever would unless they were two to three the times of Pamela Anderson at her biggest! However, that is still the concern of the uke. If a woman knows that this is a potential, I believe it is her responsibility to learn how to avoid it.

I personally have never had a problem with the "closeness" of aikido techniques. Then again, I look to aikido to make connections with my fellow human beings and I have never been abused or assaulted. In fact, until I read this thread, the fact that aikido might involve more contact than other MA never even occurred to me. To me, it has always just been "training." You help me learn and I help you learn and we have to touch in various places to do that.

Actually, I never really consider whether my training partner is male or female. I evaluate size and center and training level. Where is your balance and where do I have to move to break it. In honesty however, I will admit that I tend to prefer male partners because they generally have the strength to resist me, forcing me to execute a technique correctly.

So, after all that blathering what do I really mean? Train to the level of your partner, or maybe a bit above if you are sempai (within reason), regardless of the partner's gender. If they are truly serious about their art, they will thank you for it, even if they walk away with a few bruises.

Possibly relevant aside: There is a general belief in most sports that one trains to the level of one's opponents. (Of course, in aikido we don't have opponents -- only uke!!) In other words, if one always trains with those of lesser skill, one's own skill level will decrease. If one trains with those of higher skill (within reason so as not to discourage) one's own skill will always increase. Of course, the converse of this is that by working with one of lessor skill, one must truly understand one's own art or technique in order to teach or instruct. So while I believe it is great to train with both those of lessor and greater skill, I do believe that training with a partner a step or five (or more) above my own can vastly improve my own technique -- for of course, they know how to resist incorrect technique. Just as I know that trying to assist a rank beginner with tai no henko greatly improves my own understanding....
Old 07-28-2005, 11:02 PM   #27
Aikiscott
Dojo: Central Coast Aikikai
Australia

Quote:
Brenda Allen wrote:

While fairly well-endowed, I have never, ever had anyone come even remotely close to kneeing my breasts in any technique. Quite frankly, I can't see how any woman ever would unless they were two to three the times of Pamela Anderson at her biggest! However, that is still the concern of the uke. If a woman knows that this is a potential, I believe it is her responsibility to learn how to avoid it.
Brenda I don't know how it happens either but it has been an issue for a number of the females & even a male I think in our dojo over the years I have been training. Non of the women involved I would say would even come close to the Pamerla Anderson figure type either.
I am guessing that they are slidding/rolling their bodies in some way that pushes them out to the side.

But still it is no different to some one with long hair & it getting knelt/stood grabed during technique.

Last edited by Aikiscott : 07-28-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #28
dyffcult
United_States

Ya know, speaking of long hair....

When I first started training in aikido, I had hair so long I could sit on it. I kept it in a braid during training, but certain very high ranking sempai considered it a handle in irimi naga and other techniques until I learned to tuck that braid down the inside of my keikogi! :-) Even then, it was still considered fair game by most of my training partners.

Luckily, I had older siblings who had the same idea years before, so I had a very tough head and it didn't really bother me.

I wonder how Hendrix Sensei deals with it? Maybe her uke just know better. <wicked grin>
Old 07-28-2005, 11:34 PM   #29
Aikiscott
Dojo: Central Coast Aikikai
Australia

Quote:
Brenda Allen wrote:
Ya know, speaking of long hair....

When I first started training in aikido, I had hair so long I could sit on it. I kept it in a braid during training, but certain very high ranking sempai considered it a handle in irimi naga and other techniques until I learned to tuck that braid down the inside of my keikogi! :-) Even then, it was still considered fair game by most of my training partners.

Luckily, I had older siblings who had the same idea years before, so I had a very tough head and it didn't really bother me.

I wonder how Hendrix Sensei deals with it? Maybe her uke just know better. <wicked grin>
Our sensei likes long hair on Kaiten Nage for controling the head. I have also seen him use it for a much feared Head throw from a failed Sokomen Irimi nage. A lot of our young males get there hair cut short after there first experiance of that one.

As for Pat Hendrix, I wouldn't try anything that would encourage her to cut loose on my hide. I missed training with her when she was in Australia, hopefully she will make a return visit.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:55 PM   #30
Tubig
Australia

Yeh youre right. How does Hendrics' sensei does that. I dont think it is uke faking all those powerful throws with fake ukemis.

I personally had a few request with irimi nage and long hair to take it easy. But that is from both men and women.

When Hendrics sensei was here giving a seminar, her kid ran into the mat. I've never seen so many grown men and women jump and avoid a kid so quickly making sure they do not land or hurt the boy. It was like moses parting the Red sea.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:57 PM   #31
dyffcult
United_States

I had the great good grace to train with Pat for a few weeks in Japan. She was amazing. Definitly no man would approach her with "gentle" technique simply because she was female. She was respected for her awesome dedication to the art and her level of training. While she demonstrated amazing strength and technique in the dojo, and no one seemed to treat her differently because she was female -- certainly not Saito Sensei, she still exhibited most lady like decorum off of the mat.

I was very impressed with her as a human -- and pleased that she took the burden off of me as the then only female uchideshi :-)
Old 07-29-2005, 12:41 AM   #32
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
I've noticed also that many of these stereotypes are put upon women by other women. Sometimes sensei will show something, ask if there are any questions, and some of the women in class will ask to see a variant because "women don't want to do that" or "women don't want take that fall". I just think to myself "well, not after hearing you say that they don't".
One of the most stupid things I ever heard (and from a woman that was as well! ) is: women should not take breakfalls due to the anatomy of their secondary sexual organs, meaning that the way the uterus and ovaries are built, breakfalls might damage them.

is all I can say to that.....

Oh, and Brenda, I really liked your post.

It is great to read all of you women basically saying the same thing: women shwomen, shut and up, train and get on with it. Love it
Old 07-29-2005, 03:21 AM   #33
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Not much to add.
I appreciate all the female aikidoka telling us, they want to be treated according to their abilities.
And I cannot recall ever having heard a woman or girl pretending "women don't.."
There might be female beginners, who tell that they are not "tough guys", while the male ones use other excuses for not doing ukemi as being told, etc.

So I try (maybe it does not hold always ) to treat everyone according to his/her ability and wishes. If someone tells me, I am practicing too harsh, I apologize and step back. And usually it is really my fault. When a technique does not work , I still fall back instinctively to power.

And recently I was told twice. Once by a woman and a few weeks later by her husband, both yudansha. Having said it was my mistake, even if my first reaction was thinking, "o dear, another 'Japanese dancer'", I am not their instructor and I try to treat them as they want to.

Dirk
Old 07-29-2005, 03:33 AM   #34
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Sonja McGough wrote:
One of the most stupid things I ever heard (and from a woman that was as well! ) is: women should not take breakfalls due to the anatomy of their secondary sexual organs, meaning that the way the uterus and ovaries are built, breakfalls might damage them.
I was told this by a senior woman (sandan) when I was a beginner. She didn't say not to breakfall, but she did say there may be damage done if breakfalls were too hard and done too often.

At the time I didn't know what to think, being a beginner with no experience of MA at all. Now I think that harsh breakfalls will damage your body eventually, male or female, so it's a good idea to learn to control your body enough so you don't land like a ton of bricks each time

Smoking and drinking too much alcohol will damage your uterus and ovaries far more than breakfalls ever could!

Ruth
Old 07-29-2005, 05:50 AM   #35
Meggy Gurova
Dojo: Chowa
Bulgaria

Quote:
Brenda Allen wrote:
That depends on the shape of your body. I talked to another girl in the dojo that also agree with me. And sometimes when I fall very fast I don't have time to adjust.
I would like to hear the opposite, how we women can adjust our training when we train with you guys I know I do that
Old 07-29-2005, 07:58 AM   #36
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Brenda Allen wrote:
While fairly well-endowed, I have never, ever had anyone come even remotely close to kneeing my breasts in any technique. Quite frankly, I can't see how any woman ever would unless they were two to three the times of Pamela Anderson at her biggest! However, that is still the concern of the uke. If a woman knows that this is a potential, I believe it is her responsibility to learn how to avoid it...
Its easily done I assure you - as I think someone stated, standard ikkyo immobilisation with knee to side of woman.

Should the knee lift off the ground instead of sliding in then it is possible for a nasty nip to take place.

D
Old 07-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #37
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai

Never had a problem with breast in forward or backward rolls, however I know plenty of women (myself included) who have had a knee firmly planted on their breast when pinned on the mat (they will squish out to the side a bit if not held in firmly and you are somewhat well endowed). Not pleasant!

As for practicing; like the others say-to your partners ability, period. Doesn't matter if they are male or female, and I have plenty of men who are mighty afraid of me on the mat so don't think your gender matters a whit here.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:21 AM   #38
Meggy Gurova
Dojo: Chowa
Bulgaria

Another thing that make me uncomfortable is munedori, but not when a guy grabs my gi, but when I have to grab a guys gi.Usually when I have to do the technique I offer a piece of my gi, so that it is easier for the person in front of me to grab (and not grab other things by mistake). Then when I train with guys, not all of them offer their gi and sometimes it's very difficult to grab their gi without touching their chest
Old 07-29-2005, 08:47 AM   #39
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

When I was a kid, Hendricks Sensei came to my dojo. I was 12 or so, my ukemi was bad and my attention span even worse so my dad wasn't about to actually let me participate (nor did I wish to - adults were big and scary until I was 13 or 14). However, Hendricks Sensei did a demo for us, and one of the moves I remember the best was a kotegaishi she did when her partner grabbed her by the braid.

I like hard throws and valid attacks. I think most aikido people do. I've run into misplaced chivalry from time to time, but there's a lot of women in the dojo, and sensei uses women as his ukes as frequently as he uses the men, so I've always figured that the guys who are uncomfortable training with women will either adjust or move on.

I've never had issues with my breasts getting squished. I'm not exactly fulll-figured though. I have shoulder-length hair that is kept in a ponytail, but, wih one exception, no one has ever decided to use hair as a handle. That one exception didn't use the ponytail though - he went for the short hair on the back of my neck. This made me mad. Really mad. Mad enough that after a couple throws like this I noticed that 1) it didn't hurt that bad and 2) he was relying too much on hurting me and not enough on good technique, so I was able to reverse him. Every time. His response? Pull my hair a bit harder each time. I didn't hurt him back or anything, but he was a bit surprised.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:20 AM   #40
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Brenda Allen wrote:
While fairly well-endowed, I have never, ever had anyone come even remotely close to kneeing my breasts in any technique. Quite frankly, I can't see how any woman ever would unless they were two to three the times of Pamela Anderson at her biggest! However, that is still the concern of the uke. If a woman knows that this is a potential, I believe it is her responsibility to learn how to avoid it..
Happens to me from time to time, even in a really great sports bra; it ain't the size at all, its purely the um...distribution and other factors that I imagine may be age related (I've only ever trained as a peri/postmenopausal middle aged woman).
I don't consider it an issue for my partner to be concerned about and never mention it; I tap out or squirm to comfort.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-29-2005, 10:36 AM   #41
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
Then when I train with guys, not all of them offer their gi and sometimes it's very difficult to grab their gi without touching their chest
Its not the touching I mind, its the purple Herbies!!

Ron (no worries)

PS There are times with Mune Mochi when I'm *so* glad I don't have much chest hair....

PPS Oops, was that 'too much information'...

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 07-29-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #42
Jen R
Dojo: Aikido of Charlottesville

This is a great thread, most gender-related discussions I've seen devolve into stereotypes and recriminations within 10 posts...

I agree with the great majority of what has been said. I love to train hard. My main complaint is that most of our guys don't attack me hard enough. :-)

There was some question earlier on about sexual harrassment. I have been touched accidentally, and it's really easy to tell when a touch is accidental (usually by my partner's blush). No biggie, it happens, you just keep on training.

I've also been touched deliberately. I spoke to my sensei, the individual never came back, end of story. It meant a great deal to me that my sensei listened to me to carefully and openly, and believed me even when I was half-doubting myself. If you ever have to deal with this as a teacher, the most important thing you can do is listen, and not judge. It's difficult and embarrasing to talk about even under the best of circumstances, and even though I knew I was doing the right thing, I still felt confused and guilty. So be patient, and listen.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:54 AM   #43
Keith Larman
United_States

Just fwiw... I teach an "advanced" kids and teens class at our dojo. Basically we had kids with some years of experience and good ability who weren't getting challenged working with the newer, littler squirts. But they were usually outclassed (and intimidated) in the general practice/adult classes. Given we have an active kids program we decided to start up the advanced kids class. I was concerned at first about having a bunch of kids fairly evenly mixed of both genders some of whom are either just entering or are fully engulfed in puberty and all that puberty brings with it. But early on I made it clear that it was an advanced class and that meant nage has to assume uke can take the ukemi. Be careful, obviously, but they only get invited to the class if they can demonstrate the ability to deliver a decent attack and take a safe and realistic ukemi. Heck, much of the class is about teaching them to attack better... And as such it seems to obviate any problems between the genders. The bear hugs from behind can be a bit dicey, but I've yet to see anyone abuse or take advantage of the attack to do something improper.

In reality I've only had it come up once in class. We were doing some work with shoulder grabs and one of the younger boys (and sincerely I think he was completely unaware of what he was doing) was grabbing a bit low. Not *that* low, but low enough to make me sit them down.

Anyway, I just told them to be sensitive to where they grab for obvious reasons. And if *anything* happened inappropriately they would find themselves "uninvited" to the invitation only advanced kids class. Some blushed, some laughed, but we went back to practice and I've still never had a problem. Good attacks, sincere attacks, good ukemi... There doesn't seem to be any room left for any problems. And lord knows someone stupid enough to try to take advantage in an inappropriate way would be showed the door rather quickly. And as a father of a daughter myself, well, I may not open the door first before I throw them out... There is *NO* place for that kind of crap on the mat. Period.

As an aside, the only real problem related to gender I see with the kids and teens is a few of the girls trailing this one poor boy around who hasn't quite become aware of the fact that the girls are trailing him around the mat... I'm waiting for the day they get into a fistfight over who gets to pair up with the kid...

Last edited by Keith Larman : 07-29-2005 at 12:04 PM.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:40 PM   #44
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Women may have long hair but men have chest hair
That one seems to get em pretty bad self defense wise lol.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:11 PM   #45
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Great thread but the title really amuses me

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #46
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I'm glad this thread has come up. Obviously, I'm in the right place to ask some questions that have weighed on my mind about training with women. Several questions:

1) Kokyunage - the arm often times comes right across the chest. I would be self-conscious about having my arm brushing a woman's breasts as opposed to upper chest. With guys, I don't have to worry, but with women...??? What are your thoughts on this situation?

2) Lapel grab - when I have trained with women in the past (very few) I had a lot of attention on grabbing up high close to the shoulder, not pulling on the gi at ALL so as not to open the gi in the slilghtest. Have you ladies ever had a problem with someone grabbing your gi and being exposed? (under bra being beside the point)

3) Women's self defense classes - The idea of having such a class has been tossed around our school, but I think we've been waiting to open the new dojo before doing such a thing. What would you recommend us guys to do to put ladies at ease with training in such a class? Right now, we have no women in our classes so those teaching would be the guys... training the women. I wouldn't want them to feel awkward or intimidated... and when you're 6'2" and 255 lbs, you tend to intimidate people not familiar with martial arts. Any advide on this? Dealing with new women students?

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2005, 01:41 PM   #47
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

At first I did find it a little weird to grab a womans shirt collar and particularly the yonkyo pin where you place ukes hand on your center/knot in belt was a bit weird too. But after a while i got used to it and now its normal. As for Intimidating women, just do your best to be polite, positive and happy, use some humor, show them its not all big serious men and macho posturing.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:49 PM   #48
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

I would rather someone just grabbed me above my breast but still on the muscle than on my clavicle. I don't care if uke accicently brushes my breast just don't do it on purpose and try not to do it again after I have told you about it. Sometimes it can really hurt.
I just do technique from whereever uke grab's.
Mir
Old 07-29-2005, 03:00 PM   #49
Jen R
Dojo: Aikido of Charlottesville

For John:

For the lapel grab, I preemptively offer my lapel. Makes it easier on everyone.

For the women's self-defense course, see if you can't get a couple "ringer" females in there. When you are a beginner, or unfamiliar with martial arts, it can be hard to walk into a room full of men, no matter how friendly. Maybe spouses, daughters, or friends can be drafted for the first few classes?

As for the kokyunage, I dunno, it's just never been an issue for me...
Old 07-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #50
cck

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
1) Kokyunage - the arm often times comes right across the chest. I would be self-conscious about having my arm brushing a woman's breasts as opposed to upper chest. With guys, I don't have to worry, but with women...??? What are your thoughts on this situation?
Never noticed it, hence no concern
Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
2) Lapel grab - when I have trained with women in the past (very few) I had a lot of attention on grabbing up high close to the shoulder, not pulling on the gi at ALL so as not to open the gi in the slilghtest. Have you ladies ever had a problem with someone grabbing your gi and being exposed? (under bra being beside the point)
My gi often needs rearranging. I wear a sports bra and never feel exposed. I figure that if I am not squeamish about it, nobody else is, either. I just turn around, fix it, and move on.

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
3) Women's self defense classes - The idea of having such a class has been tossed around our school, but I think we've been waiting to open the new dojo before doing such a thing. What would you recommend us guys to do to put ladies at ease with training in such a class? Right now, we have no women in our classes so those teaching would be the guys... training the women. I wouldn't want them to feel awkward or intimidated... and when you're 6'2" and 255 lbs, you tend to intimidate people not familiar with martial arts. Any advide on this? Dealing with new women students?
I recently took a self-defense class offered at my place of work. It was great. It was taught by guys - seemed to lend realism to the exercise. They took the few guys in the class aside and practised different types of assault with them - back on the ground, pounding fists in their face etc.
The big thing for me was that they were completely padded, so I felt safe kicking, poking, jabbing, etc anywhere I could without hurting them. So, for your class, I would make sure everybody understands that you know how to take ukemi/not get hurt, even if you don't have all the padding on. Only then will people feel that it is safe to participate fully.
The guys also walked us through a very valuable exercise of using voice and body language to deter a would-be attacker.
There were no "techniques" involved in the class, although the defenses against knife-attacks seemed quite familiar. We were basically taught to use whatever we had - fingers, feet, arms, legs - on any "soft spot" - eyes, knees, groin - to inflict the most damage. The eye-ball poking was especially fun.
They started off talking to us, setting the stage for what was to follow. Most responded that they didn't think they could poke someone's eye out even if they were attacked - but that they thought they could if their child were atttacked. The trick then is to convince yourself you are worth the same level of response. At the end of class everybody looked an inch taller, and they all spoke in some way about how empowering it felt.
Generally, I think self-defense is a great gateway into aikido. It was what I was looking for when I first started. It turned into something else, but the very idea that I may have a fighting chance should it be necessary is incredibly valuable to me.

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches