Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-27-2005, 02:34 AM   #1
tiyler_durden
Netherlands
Lightbulb Intent

Hey All,

I recently came uppon a very exiting realisation: Intent.
I know that this will help and guide my Aikido on a way that I would liek and would like to ask the board if any one knows ways to build nad cultivate "Intent".

My Sensei has amazing intent and I know this steers his AIkido!

I would like to ask if any of you know how or have any pointers on cultiviating or makeing strong intent?

Can any one help?

Terry

"Deal with the faults as gently a your own"
Old 07-27-2005, 02:47 AM   #2
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Re: Intent

I dont know any way to cultivate intent, rather than to believe you are going to do something and then to do it. I trained with an instructor a while ago who had very good aikido but I personally really disliked all of the dojo's concepts and the way that they practised. The one thing that i took from it though was an excellent point he made. 'Align your intent through your angles of attack'.

Gave me plenty of food for thought and is something i now think about the majority of the time when practising. So I suppose it was worth the trip afterall

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
Mike Sigman
United_States

Westerners tend to corrupt what "intent", "yi", "will", etc., mean and apply it to several other things (like "focus your mind on the other side of the target" and stuff like that). It normally means to form kokyu strength where you want it, in the correct usage.

FWIW

Mike
Old 07-29-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Roy
Canada

"Intent," for me, is like extending you ki deliberately, and willingly. Ueshiba said something like, "when you are confronted by an attacker you should invite him in quickly, and then Quickly send him on his way." You should check out the "Extending your ki," thread, posted by David Lee.

Interesting thread!
Old 07-30-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Intent = intent = what are you up to?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:44 AM   #6
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos

I've always likened it to being decisive and not pussy-footing around. Put everything into your movement, and the intent will be clear.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 07-30-2005, 07:57 AM   #7
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

"Intent", to me, means: to have a very precise idea of what you're going to do and doing it without any indecision or fear of failure, being relaxed in the form of that idea and it's actualization through physical movement no matter how small/large or soft/hard. Total focused commitment with strong zanshin throughout. Eventually this intent is actualized with no lag time or slackness, no "empty places", no thought of self or action. Often labeled "ki, ken, tai ichi", "muga mushin" and such...

Trying to articulate everything that's going on is difficult, it has to become poetic instead of mechanic in understanding. There are many "tools" and "strategies" that can operate within this "intent" to accomplish what I call different "job orders". (too many words already!)

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 07-30-2005, 09:13 AM   #8
Mike Sigman
United_States

I've never seen a bona fide use of "intent" in a description that means anything other than the mental forming of kokyu/jin, although sometimes the general term "ki/qi" is used when the more specific word would be kokyu or jin. If you hit with your "intent", it's another way of saying you have formed and are using kokyu/jin as the basic power for your hit, push, whatever. If you read something like "He hit the Dim Mak point with his ki", it really means that you're using the same mental intent to use kokyu power to hit a point.

The western ideas of "intending to hit", "strong intention", "put your intent on the other side of the target", etc., don't really apply to these uses of intent, but a lot of westerners use those ideas when they translate "intent". The problem is compounded by otherwise capable translators who themselves don't understand how to use ki and kokyu, so their translations using "intent" in the above-mentioned ways simply reflect what they know or don't know.

At some point in time, as more information becomes available, I think we'll get around a lot of the personalized translations of so many terms.

FWIW

Mike
Old 08-13-2005, 11:36 PM   #9
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou

To me, intent is doing. If you don't do it, then there is no intent, no goal. Want to move there? Do it. Want to quit smoking? Do it. Want to buy the house? Do it. Anything else is a "hope" or "try". (PS. No flames please, it's how I quit smoking.)

Sometimes it doesn't end up the way you want it, but that's when your aikido training will kick in, helping you to remember to stay flexible.

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 08-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #10
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

In ukemi I have intent. As nage, I really work on having no agenda and once we make a good connection, then I think the kokyu things that Mike is talking about resonate with me at that point. Interesting distinction between the roles (to me anyway!).

Rob

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!