Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #26
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States
Re: Relating Aikido and Christianity

Mr. Fox,
Calvary Chapel is great! I love watching those Harvest Crusades and hearing that guy...Greg Laurie...good guy. I have a friend that goes to a Calvary Chapel church. But yeah...keep in touch. By the way...your apologetics is great!
Old 07-29-2005, 06:12 AM   #27
mazmonsters
Dojo: independant
United_States

Dear Dirk,
Here's what you said "In Matthew 7,21 Jesus says: "Not everyone calling me: Lord, Lord! will reach heaven.." And in Matthew 25, 31 through 46 you can read that it is your behaviour to other human beings, that decides if you will get ethernal life or damnation." Now, this is the exact reason for why I believe the way I do. I could break this down verse for verse and discuss the meanings of the "sheep" and "goats," but since I do not really feel like writing on here for hours on end, I will try my best to sum up how I see it, but as you know I am just a man with wrong interpretations and some right ones too...(I once heard a story of how a man died and saw Jesus and asked him all sorts of questions, one being, "Is the Bible true?" And Jesus replied, "Well, they got most of it right.") I see this passage as clearly one of chosen vs. un-chosen people. The chosen are the sheep, the un-chosen, the goats. Why did Jesus pick sheep to represent the chosen ones? Look at the characteristics of sheep. They are actually very dumb animals, who are TOTALLY lost without their shepherd. This to me sums it up pretty clear. The ones who Jesus will say, "Depart from me, ye cursed..." are the ones who don't need Jesus, or they think they don't...they are relying not on His sufficient sacrifice alone as the one and only final payment for their way into Heaven, but they think they have to do things to make thier way on their own. "Thieves," Jesus calls they who try to get to heaven by some other means. What kind of people call Jesus, "Lord, Lord?" Christians do! So, when He said, "Not everyone calling me: Lord, Lord! will reach heaven.." I believe that He is talking about those "Christians" who build huge churches "In His name" but are really doing it for their own glory...thinking "Look at what I did for you, Lord!" That's ridiculous. Why would God, the all powerful, all knowing, almighty creator of the universe ever NEED anything from us? He doesn't. We need HIM! Also, in verse 46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." How does God credit someone as being righteous? By faith.
Galatians 3:11:
Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."
Romans 1:17:
For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last,[a] just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
Hebrews 10:38
But my righteous one[a] will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him."

We could go on, but that's how I see it. And no man can choose God, because man in his sinful state actually despises who God is...but God can and does choose men to be called to His good purpose. The sheep and the goats are the chosen and the un-chosen.
Take care,
Matt
Old 07-29-2005, 06:34 AM   #28
mazmonsters
United_States

Dirk, one quick thing,
you said you see it as behaviour towards other humans that will decide whether you get eternal life or damnation...here's how I see it:
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[f] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."
As chosen christians, our behaviour automatically is counted dead, because it is no longer we who live, but Christ living in us. When we "feed the hungry, clothe the poor," it's Jesus doing it through us, so that He gets all the credit, all the glory. And of course, this does not mean for us to shut out people and treat them like crap, but if we do, it's our flesh getting the upper hand...if you are truly saved. You are not going to be perfect, and you're not supposed to be. This is why the whole zen topic is interesting to me, because I know when I was started to try it for myself last year, I didn't sit around and worship myself or some idol or false god. I just was becoming less concerned with my own welfare ad more concerned with other people. I was "empty-ing out" my fleshly mind, so that it was almost silent, and non-existent. Then, I stopped doing it, and my mind eventually got clouded again, and I actually struggle moreso now with treating people with kindness and mercy.
Take care,
Matt
Old 07-29-2005, 07:15 AM   #29
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
Matthew Materazzi wrote:
Dirk, one quick thing,
you said you see it as behaviour towards other humans that will decide whether you get eternal life or damnation...here's how I see it:
No Matt, I didn't say that, I just quoted Jesus.
So obviously you try to prove him a liar, don't you?

As I told you before, we could end up sending quote by quote, but that would not help for this forum. If you want to help me, just tell me how you understand the chapter of Matthew 25: 31-46. When one will face Jesus at the end, he will believe. And Jesus said, it does not matter, when you start to believe, so there are good reasons for telling people, they should not stop believing in Jesus. But I am not the one to damn anybody for his believes, non-believes or mis-believes, and I doubt that God as I know him would do so.

It is much eaasier to believe that He would damn the really bad ones. But there is another question, I cannot solve. I know that me and most of us are not able to only be good, but where is the border-line?

There will be a time when the truth will be absolutely obvious. I am lookuing forward to meet you all then and have a chat about what we were thinkining about it all life.

God bless you

Dirk
Old 07-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #30
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

As a Westerner, I find one of the advantages of aikido (and many other forms of wisdom developed in China and Japan) is that its system of cultural referents are markedly different. This makes me work harder to see truth for what it is, rather than what I have come merely to assume it to be.

By studying an approach to the expression in this world of love towards others, even in situations of conflict, and which springs from a more alien root, it is easier to step beyond names and thoughts ingrained in my cultural habits. Not that I do not appreciate and enjoy the richness of colors and rhythms that exist in my own culture, as well as those of China and Japan.

This allows me to seek for the objective elements of truth, less colored by the accretions of my particular culture. All the while, I must also acknowledge that truth is equally subjective as it is objective. That distinction itself is a false category if we are to love one another.

At the same time, a key advantage of Aikido is that the internal debates of Christian division matter far less when trying to relate its fundamental truths and the truths and value taught by O Sensei's eminently practical, but yet highly spiritual, art. In this sense, Aikido can also be a tool to harmony in such conflicts.

Debating continuing revelation and apostolic succession versus sola sciptura and primacy of conscience as validating revealed truth are endlessly fun, of course. Neither is complete without the other, in my view. Having said that, there are aspects of those issues and other hot button topics in apologetics in which aiki and budo make for interesting contributions to the conversation.

But the more intense such discussions become, they tend to close off the conversation into a more specialized field that others are less inclined to join. This is especially so in these days when attention to rigorous theological education and the history of its development, whatever your particular position may be, is sadly lacking in the population at large.

For this reason I seldom join discussions on the relative performance of different geometries for signal waveguide channels. Although, I am sure there must be some interesting applications in that arena to relate to kotodama theory. Oh, Google, where art thou, my Google?

Cordially,
Erick Mead
Old 07-29-2005, 08:39 AM   #31
mazmonsters
United_States

Dirk:
No, I am not trying to prove Jesus a liar...if that were the case, then I would not believe He is the perfect Son of God, being God Himself as the Word of God. Here is your quote: "In Matthew 7,21 Jesus says: "Not everyone calling me: Lord, Lord! will reach heaven.." And in Matthew 25, 31 through 46 you can read that it is your behaviour to other human beings, that decides if you will get ethernal life or damnation." Now, I believe that it is not your behaviour as human beings. This is my interpretation of what Jesus was saying here. I believe that it is Jesus' way of seperating the sheep from the goats. [/i]Your[i] interpretation sees it in the literal sense of feeding every single hungry person that you meet, clothing every one in need that comes your way, visiting those in prison...well, I have done these things, as most of us Christians have...but I also have seen a person who had a sign "Homeless Veteran, Needs Money." And I felt the Spirit of God told me NOT to give to him, so I didn't. Does this mean I will spend eternity in hell for that? By no means, for if that were the case, none of us would ever get there.
Here's a great article on this parable...Enjoy and God bless

The Division of the Sheep and the Goats
This final parable in Jesus' final sermon in Matthew brings home the reality of judgment. As the missionaries from Matthew's churches spread the good news of the kingdom both among fellow Jews and among Gentiles, they faced hostility as well as welcome. This parable brings together some themes from the rest of the Gospel: Christ, like the kingdom, had been present in a hidden way (compare chap. 13), and one's response to his agents represented one's response to him (chap. 10).

Jesus is the judge on the day of judgment. The parable assumes Jesus' deity. Whereas others sometimes fill the role of final judge in Jewish tradition (as in Test. Ab. 13A; 11B), the central biblical and Jewish role of final judge that Jesus here assumes normally belongs to God himself (see, for example, 1 Enoch 9:4; 60:2). As noted earlier, the king in rabbinic parables is nearly always God. Likewise, coming with all the angels (Mt 25:31; compare 13:41; 16:27; 24:31; 2 Thess 1:7) alludes to various versions of Zechariah 14:5 (see Gundry 1982:511), where God is in view. Further, Jesus' claim that whatever others have done to his servants they have done to him fits a rabbinic perspective about God (Smith 1951:154). Finally, although shepherds could represent Moses, David and others in biblical and Jewish tradition, the chief shepherd remained God himself (as in Ps 23:1-4; 74:1-2; Is 40:11; Ezek 34:11-17; Zech 10:3; Sirach 18:13; 1 Enoch 89:18; Ps-Philo 28.5; 30.5). Jesus is both judge and the focus of the final judgment, spelling disaster to those who ignored him on this side of that day.

The nations will be judged according to how they respond to the gospel and its messengers. The nations or "Gentiles" in Jewish literature would be judged according to how they treated Israel (4 Ezra 7:37; Klausner 1979:200). As in other parables, here they are gathered (compare 13:40; Is 2:4; Rev 16:16) and separated (Mt 13:30, 49), in this instance the way a shepherd would separate sheep from goats (compare Ezek 34:17), to keep the goats warm at night while keeping the sheep in open air as they preferred (Jeremias 1972:206). Sheep cost more than goats (Jeremias 1972:206) and because of their greater utility and value were nearly always more numerous on a farm (N. Lewis 1983:131-32).

The older dispensational scheme viewed this passage as the judgment of the nations based on their treatment of Israel. This suggestion could fit Jewish perceptions of the judgment, as noted above (compare Manson 1979:249-50). But this suggestion does not fit well Jesus' own designation of his brothers in the Gospels elsewhere (Mt 12:50; 28:10; see below). Because the passage explicitly declares that this judgment determines people's eternal destinies (25:46), it cannot refer to a judgment concerning who will enter the millennium, as in some older dispensational schemes (Ladd 1977:38; compare Ladd 1978b:98-102).

Nor is the popular view that this text refers to treatment of the poor or those in need (as in Gross 1964; Hare 1967:124; Catchpole 1979; Feuillet 1980a) exegetically compelling, although on other grounds it would be entirely consonant with the Jesus tradition (such as Mk 10:21; Lk 16:19-25) and biblical ethics as a whole (for example, Ex 22:22-27; Prov 19:17; 21:13). Jewish lists of loving works include showing hospitality and visiting the sick, though not visiting prisoners; such acts were found praiseworthy in the day of judgment (2 Enoch 63:1-2; Jeremias 1972:207-8; compare Bonsirven 1964:151-52).

In the context of Jesus' teachings, especially in the context of Matthew (as opposed to Luke), this parable addresses not serving all the poor but receiving the gospel's messengers. Elsewhere in Matthew, disciples are Jesus' brothers (12:50; 28:10; compare also the least--5:19; 11:11; 18:3-6, 10-14). Likewise, one treats Jesus as one treats his representatives (10:40-42), who should be received with hospitality, food and drink (10:8-13, 42). Imprisonment could refer to detention until trial before magistrates (10:18-19), and sickness to physical conditions brought on by the hardship of the mission (compare Phil 2:27-30; perhaps Gal 4:13-14; 2 Tim 4:20). Being poorly clothed appears in Pauline lists of sufferings (Rom 8:35), including specifically apostolic sufferings (1 Cor 4:11). The King thus judges the nations based on how they have responded to the gospel of the kingdom already preached to them before the time of his kingdom (Mt 24:14; 28:19-20). The passage thus also implies that true messengers of the gospel will successfully evangelize the world only if they can also embrace poverty and suffering for Christ's name (compare Matthey 1980).

The stakes involved in our witness are eternal. The horrifying conclusion (25:46) is the damnation of people who did not actively embrace messengers of the gospel but nevertheless were oblivious to how they had offended God. The goats thus depart (7:23) into eternal fire (the worst possible conception of hell; see comment on 3:8, 10, 12), but tragically, God had not originally created them for the fire or the fire for them (compare 4 Ezra 8:59-60). Rather, it had been prepared (compare Mt 25:34) by God for the devil and his angels (compare 2 Pet 2:4; 1QM 13.11-12).

We too must "receive" one another with grace. In the context of the surrounding parables, welcoming Christ's messengers probably involves more than only initially embracing the message of the kingdom: it means treating one's fellow servants properly (24:45-49). Unless we "receive" one another in God's household, we in some way reject Christ whose representatives our fellow disciples are (18:5-6, 28-29). Paul likewise reminds the Corinthians that to be reconciled to him is to be reconciled to God himself (2 Cor 5:11--7:1).
Old 07-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #32
spinecracker

United_States

Dirk,

I agree with you when you say that a person's interpretation of the Bible is based on who they believe is the author of the Bible (ok, I extrapolated that a bit, but I think I got it right). If the authors of the Bible were men and women, and the Bible is more of a guideline than any objective truth, then I can see your position. I have no intention of ending up in "scripture quotation" fisticuffs as I am a poor theologian (hey, I'm still new to being a Christian!). Debating these issues is actually helping my faith, so you are actually blessing me, and I thank you, and the others contributing to this thread, for that. As for me, I am stuck in the moral dilemma of either accepting that the Bible was indeed given by inspiration of God ("God-breathed" may be a closer translation, but I'd have to check my notes ), and that acceptance has to be total (i.e. to believe that the Bible is true, and factual, in all regards), or believing that the Bible was written by man, for man, and that it holds no more value than any other moral guideline out there. If the latter is the case, then it is no big deal to take what you want out of it and chuck the rest. As for believing as a child in Jesus and His holy Bible, Jesus did say that we should come to him as children (dang, gonna have to quote scripture - Matt 18:3), without preconceived ideas about who He is or what His message is.

I don't read any more into the Bible than what is already there (I hope!). I'm not smart enough to get involved in any great theological discussions regarding the validity of the Bible or the diety of Christ. I cannot judge the actions of others, except where they conflict with the interpretation if the Bible that, hopefully, the Holy Spirit has put in my heart (again, getting back into 2 Timothy 3:16 and others). I could list a whole bunch of individuals, some of them serial killers, who said that they were doing God's work - does that mean they were truly servants of Jesus? That is between them and God who will judge them. For me, taking the whole Bible literally is a statement of my faith in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour, believing that He is true and faithful, and that He would not be involved in any falsehood. Am I going to go round talking to animals? I don't think I have anything they want to hear (I do sometimes shout at my cats, but that's only after they've shredded the carpet or missed the kitty litter box, again - dang!). What I will do is tell others of the Gospel, and try to lead my life as closely as I can to Jesus' requirements - no more, no less.

Thank you for a most stimulating, rational discussion, and I hope we will have many others.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #33
spinecracker

United_States

Setting beliefs aside, I would be grateful if the Christians reading this thread could pray for the swift recovery of my sister-in-law. I just found out that she was in a car crash last night, and received multiple fractures, but we do not yet know the full extent of her injuries as we are still waiting to speak with a doctor. Please pray for her,

Thank you,

Robert
Old 07-29-2005, 08:12 PM   #34
Sanshouaikikai
United_States

No problem, Mr. Fox...that is what I'll do and I'm sure the other Christians on here would do the same! God Bless you!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #35
mazmonsters
United_States

Robert,
first let me say that I know that the Lord has a plan for your sister in law, and may His will be done in her situation.
I just wanted to say congratulations on your new found faith as a christian. I have been a believer all my life, so I am blessed with the luxery of deeply devoted studies in Scripture for many years of my life. You are a baby right now, in the Lord, which is a wonderful stage to be in. You need milk, not steak and potatoes- which is adult food. The milk I am talking about is the simplicity of the Scriptures- just believe in Jesus. That is the core belief of all who are chosen. As you grow in your faith, you will eventually be ready for the "meat and potatoes" of the Word, and you can never fully understand- even then- exactly how deep it can take you. I think of God's infinite knowledge as the ocean. Say the average person has 10 droplettes of water from that ocean, and a really smart person has 12 droplettes, and a genius has like 14 or 15...well it's all NOTHING compare to the ocean that is God's knowledge. You know what I'm saying? WE can study for ever and still only grasp a tiny glimpse of God's infinite plan/thought/love...but our best and closest example is Christ, our Lord. He is what God is like. Full of love and compassion, mercy and kindess, forgiveness and grace. He is Love, after all. After all my short 27 years here on earth of learning of the Word, I believe that yes, the Bible is God-breathed, but God did not write it Himself...He wrote it through men...and men, though inspired by God, can often write their own "take" on what they think God is speaking to them. In the Old Testament, God actually did speak with men, to men, just as we can speak to each other. When Jesus came, God was here, speaking to men like never before- in the form of a man! Then, once Jesus left, God didn't speak to men like that anymore...He sent His Holy Spirit to them. So this makes the New Testament NOT Scripture...because the apostles didn't know someone would collect their notes to the chruches and put them in the Bible and call them the New Testament. The Scriptures are all the books of the Bible up until Matthew- then everything else are the notes of the Gospels, the notes of Paul, John, Peter, and James. I'm not saying by any means that the New Testament isn't a great source to study or learn from- what I'm saying is that you have to look at the context of the words, the letters...who were these written to? There are things said to the churches that were meant for them, not for us. Remember that Paul was setting up new churches, and in these churches, the congregation was made up of lots of foriegners, who were not accustomed to Jewish studies, or God's ways. There was a lot of freedom that was being taken for granted, or out of context, rather...and Paul had to tell them that their pagean rituals needed to stop. I suggest that you get some books by William Barclay- mainly his Gospels of Matthew-John. He does a wonderful job of giving you the rich history of these books, and really paints a realisticly beautiful picture of what was going on, and how things relate to each other. I also recommend the book "A Scandelous Freedom- the Radical Nature of the Gospel" by Steve Brown. You can also listen to him speak online at Key Life Ministries.
At any rate, always remember this :
Jesus came to set us free. He did not intend for us to live a life of slavery. He came to fulfill the law, so that we would not be bound to it anylonger.
Romans 7:4-6
So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God. For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

In His Name,
Matthew
Old 07-30-2005, 05:25 PM   #36
Sanshouaikikai
United_States

Hey, Matt...it sounds good and all until you said these 2 things; "I am blessed with the luxery of deeply devoted studies in Scripture for many years of my life. You are a baby right now, in the Lord..." That attitude is what makes a lot of new Christians leave the church and 2...when he said that he's a new Christian...maybe he meant that he's been one for a couple of years now. In fact...it seems to me that he as a lot of in depth knowledge...so far at least. Also...if he's a baby Christian and you're not 'cause you've been one for awhile then...I'm more knowledgable than the both of you 'cause not only have I been a Christian all my life...my dad is a pastor! I spend all my time online (when I'm not on aikiweb) reading Christian theological literature and essays and stuff....and when I'm not online I'm reading concordances, commentaries, etc. as well as reading the Bible first and foremost! I'm not saying I'm better than you or anything...but...doesn't what I say sound a little inappropriate? Even though it's true and all...but still....I dunno...maybe it's just me. Also...the second thing you said that wasn't right was; "God didn't speak to men like that anymore...He sent His Holy Spirit to them. So this makes the New Testament NOT Scripture" Of course He did!!!! What are you going to tell me about the Book of Acts and Revelation as well as all the Pauline epistles and the epistles of the other apostles....who do you think told them what to say to all those churches? Was it their conscience? NO! It was God. Another thing...if you don't believe that the whole entire Bible is Canononical then...you cannot call yourself a true Christian. Call yourself something else if you want but a Christian you shall not. Anyway...I will pray that the Holy Spirit convicts you and opens your eyes to the truth of His word. Other than that though...it was pretty good! God bless you!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:23 PM   #37
mazmonsters
United_States

Alex,
First let me say thank you for your thoughts
Second let me say that this will be my last post on the subject.
Third, when I said a "Baby Christian" what I meant was a babe in the Lord, which is probably the first 5 years of being saved. This is not making me to be condensending...if anything, I long for those days, because those were the best! And usually, my friend, it's pastor's kids who are the most screwed up, hypocritical ones of all. Don't ever tell me or anyone else who you want to respect you that they "shall not" call themselves a Christian, because to me what I am is between me and the Lord, not you. This puts you on a higher plane and makes you seem as if you are better than someone else. God does not speak to men anymore like He did in the "old days." It was finished when Revelations was written. That you are right about, and I didn't clarify my thinking. However, I am firm in my beliefs that what Paul wrote to the churches was meant for the churches, when it came to the law. The law is for sinners to hear, not people who are saved, you see. We have the message of Grace, not condemnation. It is ABSOLUTELY necessary that we understand this, or we would always be "trying" to please God with our behaviour, and this is IMPOSSIBLE. God is already pleased with us, because when He looks at me, He sees NOT what I used to be, but He sees Jesus. If He saw us, then He would NOT be pleased with us. It is impossible to please God without Faith, and this is not from ourselves, but the free gift from Him, from above. You see, the Holy Spirit already does convict me and guide me- because I know who I am in Christ. I am no longer bound to the law, but set free by Grace.
In HIs Name,
Matthew
Old 07-31-2005, 10:26 PM   #38
Sanshouaikikai
United_States

So...you don't believe that God speaks to people? If this were true then...what reason is there to be a Christian if God doesn't want to or can't speak to me? I think it's flat out wrong on your part or whoever is the one that taught you this. It's wrong. God speaks to me all the time. He speaks to my dad, my mum, as well as millions of other devout Christians who truly seek after His heart. He may even speak to you...you probably just don't listen hard enough...I don't know...I don't doubt that you're a Christian or that you're saved....but...you do have that bit of mislead information. Also...I'm a pastor's kid...and...I don't know what pastor's children you may know...but...I'm not screwed up in the sense that you were implying. Though...I know you were not really saying that towards me or anything...but still...I love the Lord with all that is within me and I don't hang around with "bad influences" whoever or whatever and wherever they may be. I don't do that because my parents taught me or told me not to do so...but because of the conviction of the Holy Spirit in my life. Well...anywho...God bless you!
Old 07-31-2005, 10:36 PM   #39
Sanshouaikikai
United_States

Quote:
Don't ever tell me or anyone else who you want to respect you that they "shall not" call themselves a Christian, because to me what I am is between me and the Lord, not you. This puts you on a higher plane and makes you seem as if you are better than someone else
Matt....in case you didn't know...Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses as well as other false cults go around telling people that they're Christians and that they believe in Jesus. Of course...they don't tell you their true beliefs "straight up" until you go to one of their churches or Kingdom Halls. Heck...there's this supposedly Baptist preacher out in Kansas who goes around saying that God hates people...in particular gay people. Now...me and you both know what the Bible says about Homosexuality and everyother sin out there....God hates the sin...not the individual who commits the sin. However...this guy preaches all this hate and calls himself a Christian. So...the point I'm trying to make is this...if what you or anyone else for that matter is saying something contrary to what the Bible says or contrary to the context of which the Bible is saying it and you're saying it's true or whatever...then...I as well as every other Christian who is well informed on true orthodox Christian doctrines and theology as well as being truly saved and having a relationship with Christ, have the right and responsibility to say...that you one can believe what they want...but...if it's contrary to Scripture...then...do not call it Christianity, you know what I mean? I don't think that in me saying that I'm saying that I'm better than anyone or smarter than anyone. It's just the truth...sometimes it hurts at first...but once you accept it...it's the most amazing thing ever.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #40
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Matthew,
You say that the new testament is not Scripture. However in II Peter, 3:14-18, Peter equates Paul's writings as being misused along with the other scriptures. Even when you look at the original greek text, the reference to other clearly is tied back to the reference to Paul's writings. Therefore Peter views at least Paul's writings as being scripture.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #41
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Relating Aikido and Christianity ...

Is like relating bananas and baseballs.

Any questions?

Chuck

Old 08-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #42
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany

Chuck,

I ate a banana at a baseball game once...does that count?

Seriously, you can relate just about anything your want or find meaning in it, revise it, or reframe it.

If aikido helps you with your spirituality or religion then I see no problem with that. If your religion helps you with aikido then I also see no problem with that.

If in the end it leads to a greater appreciation and understanding between humans and the world we live in and creates cooperation, harmony, and love...which leads to peace and happiness..then I am all for it!
Old 08-02-2005, 01:55 PM   #43
spinecracker

United_States

Well, this is my last post on on this thread, so here goes.....

Thank you for your kind comments and your prayers regarding my sister-in-law. She is healing physically, and I pray that this will lead to her repentance and salvation.

As for the posts on this thread regarding the validity of calling the New Testament scipture, whether God speaks to His followers in these last days and whether or not one Christian can state that someone else isn't a Christian, my knowledge on these matters is nowhere near as authorative as many of the other posters on this thread - I do have my opinions, but they are for discussion elsewhere. I will say that this thread has deviated significantly from it's main topic, and that further discussion on Christian doctrine and theology may be better accomplished via private messaging or using another, preferably Christian-based, forum.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!