Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-24-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Realizing Aikido's Potential

Mr. Pranin's article, "Realizing Aikido's Potential" is greatly welcomed and long overdue. Although I have not been an aikido student for as long as Mr. Pranin, I have made many of the same observations. People stare at you for using kiai's, especially when you use it during weapons practice. So many people find it hard to execute a technique, not realizing it is because of a weak attack. Many uke "walk" in and float their attacks. Furthermore, they have no response to atemi and no reaction when being "let go" as in the set up for the uke to try and get up after being pinned. Also, bacause so many people engage in this type of practice, you find many aikidoka who are nidan or sandan, that can't handle a real attack and never ever take the uke's balance.

I've been to many seminars where the yudansha are shocked by my attacks. They hastily fly through the technique without ever taking my balance, bending my back, or soliciting and type of reaction from me via the use of atemi. I can't say anything, because they become offended and there is usually a lack of time. On the other hand, when I use atemi, take the balance and execute the technique, then people say I am being rough. Trust me. I go to great strides to protect my uke. Once this happens, if by chance I work with them again, they get an "attitude" and try to resist the next technique by muscling. I usually have to let them go out of fear of hurting them. Sorry to say, but Mr. Pranin was right on point. The problems he wrote about are widespread and common in many Aikido circles. Hopefully, his article will spark many Instructors to reevaluate their training methods and re-introduce those missing elements back into the dojo. I for one, will continue to focus on those apects of my training.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:32 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: Realizing Aikido's Potential

I think weak attacks are especially prevalent in randori, so we've decided to try out something new this Thursday - I've got two pieces of light tubing covered in dense foam. These will be used to strike the nage on the head (which make a nice sound, but don't cause any damage). It will be a timed exercise where Nage can stay on the mat until the ukes have struck him 5 times hard on the head.

More relevant to your point - I think being a good uke is hard and requires an understanding of the ability and weaknesses of your nage. I also believe that training is best done by 'breaking it down' into different elements e.g. sometimes doing slow deliberate training, sometimes fast and hard training, simetimes soft and coordinated training. However uke and nage need to be aware that seperate elements of aikido are being trained in each instance.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com