Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-21-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
samiagoudie
Australia
Smile hello from Australia

Hello , greetings from Australia,

I was was playing on line and found this site and thought I would join to keep in touch. I may know some of you ? or you may remember me possibly , from various Aikido dojos, especially if you trained in Tamalpais Mill valley dojo from all the way back to the 80's. I have lost track of some folks i think of often , so if your reading this and know me , please , write , i would love to hear from you.

I am a women, i Live in beautiful place , near Byron bay on the east coast. these days I surf a lot , this became my practice as much as Aikido , and Aikido certainly helped me stick to the difficult learning phase and also helped me go with the flow of the wave. I am currently also doing my PhD and making films.

I practiced formal AIKIDO for many years and taught and founded some of the now successful dojos here , like in Noosa , palmwoods , thirroul that still run today with excellent instructors and then briefly dojo in the mountains of new Mexico at a community called lama foundation ( this one no longer exists). anyway, Aikido has given me so much, i reckon it saved my life in many ways and will always be a part of me .

I stopped formal training a few years back , I fell 12 ft from a balcony onto concrete and broke both my arms , elbows , wrist and clavicle... in fact this is one time aikido saved my life , as I automatically raised my arm and tucked my head and went into a aiki roll , thus breaking external bones instead of my neck and back , it was a miracle and no-one could believe i was OK.

I now use AIKI ( and other things) in the work I do with people. I teach dealing with conflict with ABORIGINAL people and they love it , Aikido has so many possibilities , so many ways we can use the teachings for ourselves and others.

I still miss formal practice and being around other aikidoists , but my heart is still connected and who knows how my practice will change and grow. I feel it is a life long path and has many faces.

ANYWAY, not sure what else to say to introduce myself , I guess one thing is also to say , I am hoping to return to USA mid 2006 for research on my PhD , the topic is about resilience , renewal , reclaiming of culture , community and individual wellness through the use of creative processes and narrative.. I am hoping to make half of my thesis in the form of a documentary. I am primarily looking at this in terms of trauma recovery, and from an indigenous perspective ... but also feel this has something to offer everyone... I will be interviewing people who have experiences to share on work they do that helps people in these ways , i see aikido as a creative process a movement narrative, so I am also interested to interview people on this. so we will see.

If anyone is interested int his topic let me know.

I will be traveling and spending time in some communities like pine ridge reservation and others i have been invited to share and learn with that work with people in various ways towards healing/ wellness recovery...

so , thats it for me i guess , sunny day here , surf is calling...

be well , any visitors to AUSTRALIA , please feel welcome to contact me and visit or if you need info about trainings here let me know and I will try help you.

all the best to you all. enjoy the practice. enjoy life.

samia
Old 07-21-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
akiy

Re: hello from Australia

Hi Samia,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!