Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Stephanie_dee24
Dojo: None!!
United Kingdom
Info about Aikido.....

I'm a 17 year old girl whos STARTING (haven't started yet!) Aikido. I'm going down to my dojo to watch, then next week I start.

I was just wanting some info on Aikido. I know that theres a loada stuff on this site and the internet, but I wanted it from people who knew it from experience that aren't going to sugar coat it. Does it hurt? How hard is it? Do you have to be strong? The usual types of questions!

I'm currently practising Iaido, but i;ve only just started, and other than that I have no martial arts history or experience!

Any info or websites about it will be much apperciated!!

Thanks!

Last edited by Stephanie_dee24 : 07-07-2005 at 02:10 PM.

Steph

~.~

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
Old 07-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States
Re: Info about Aikido.....

hey stephanie.

im a 15 year old girl and i've been doing aikido since i was 8. Aikido is a non-competetive martial art that combines joint locks, pins , and throwing. I think it is a great art for women because u really dont need alot of strength to do it, its about taking your opponents momentum and using it against them.

It can be a difficult art to catch on to, but once u get the hang of it you will love it. Its not too rough at first but it can get more rigorous as you progress. Its a great martial art and i wish you the best in your training.

-paige
Old 07-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Hi Stephanie, Paige has given you all the basic details, I just wanted to say I love your sig, great poem

PS:

There will be some weapons work too which you should feel at home with due to your iaido training, basic suburi with a bokken and jo, some basic kata and then weapons taking/techniques.

Feel free to ask any questions that spring to mind!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Smile Re: Info about Aikido.....

Quote:
Stephanie Lepic wrote:
I know that theres a loada stuff on this site and the internet, but I wanted it from people who knew it from experience that aren't going to sugar coat it. Does it hurt? How hard is it? Do you have to be strong?
Nah, you don't have to be strong. I'm only 5', 6" tall, and I regularly "overpower" men much stronger than myself. It's all about learning to let go. You just have to be calm and learn not to panic or buy into a strength contest.
As for the question about pain..

Yeah, it can hurt sometimes. Your wrists might hurt from joint manipulations, or just from friction from being grabbed so much. Sometimes a fall taken incorrectly can hurt too.

Don't be discouraged when you don't get something the first time you try. I've never met any aikidoka that didn't have trouble with one thing or another. It can be difficult sometimes, but don't give up.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:55 AM   #5
Stephanie_dee24
United Kingdom

Wow, it sounds great and as if you guys really enjoy it. I can't wait to start!

Steph

~.~

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
Old 07-08-2005, 02:12 AM   #6
Paul Kerr

I'd echo all of the above and simply add - enjoy your training!

You've found your way here and another excellent site (a MUST read i.m.o.) is aikidojournal.com . You'll find an enormous amount of resources there.

Paul Kerr
Old 07-08-2005, 06:58 AM   #7
giriasis
United_States

Stephanie,

I really love aikido. I've been practicing it for 6 years now. Once you get hooked you'll be practicing it forever.

Also try and find your way to the Women in Aikido bulletin board. It's a great place to find some support from other women. Click on the link in my signature.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
Adam Huss

United_States

Hey,
Great to hear that you are going to study Aikido. It takes a bit to get the hang of...but thats the great part...it never gets old! There's always something more to learn! Thats one of my favorite parts of it, and why I practice Aikido now more than karate (which is what I originally started in).
About strength...Ueshiba O'Sensei and Shioda Soke were both fond of saying "You only need to be strong enough to open a door to do aikido," and "To do the most effective aikido techniques, you need only to be able to lift 15lbs." Ok, so those two "quotes" were pretty much paraphrased..but these were the founder of Aikido and one of his top students.
About discomfort...techniques will hurt a bit, but your body will get used to it. If your going to a good dojo, then everyone should take it pretty easy on your for the first few months to let you adjust and not discourage you. And when techniques are a bit uncomfortable...think of them as a metaphor for life. Things in life are painful as well and you've got two choices...adapt, adjust and flow with it, or let it consume you and tear you down. Training in aikido helps you to handle tough situations, mentally. This is a big part in why we train in uke (the person having technique applied to) just as much as shtei/nage (the doer of the technique). Which is rare in the martial arts. Remember what Buddha said..."Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice."
A good point for women...Toyoda Sensei used to say (as I'm sure many others do) that women have an inherent advantage to men when it comes to proper technique. Women, having naturally less muscular strength (on average, I know there are plenty exceptions), they have less opportunity to successfully 'muscle through' techniques. A common problem. A lot of times, guys don't even know they are doing it. If a women can't muscle as easily as a guy then it forces them to do nice, crisp, technically proficient techniques! I've seen some great female Aikidoka...in fact I was living at a dojo with a very talented female 5 degree black belt who was promoted by Terada Sensei.
Enjoy your Aikido!!
Osu!
~Adam

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
Stephanie_dee24
United Kingdom

Wow! Thank you! I really enjoyed reading that! I can't wait to start now! I sounds really great! I'll post when I have a go and let you know how I got on!

Steph

~.~

Old 08-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #10
~RIYO~
Dojo: Dragon's Den Martial Arts
United_States

Well,I am a female who started 16 classes ago. The first 8 classes made me so sore.I could't move without hurting, but don't let that scare you.But it didn't hurt during my class.After that my arms or my shoulders only hurt.You do not have to be strong , I was a little before but thats beside the point.
After 16 days I bet I am twice as strong.Its not very hard, it can be at times.You have your good and bad days.If you have to you can always ask your Sensei to preform a technique again so you can understand it better.
Good Luck
Old 08-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #11
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

I started aikido when I was 11.

Aikido hurts, but it's a good kind of hurt. Don't be intimidated by the loud, slapping high falls the senior ranks take. You'll start with some nice simple rolls. The craziness only comes later, when you're ready for it. That said, the slapping high falls hurt much much less than it sounds and looks.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #12
justin
United Kingdom

cant add much more other than starting with no previous experience isnt a bad thing i hold a dan grade in karate and just started aikido, you will hopefully only learn good habbits where as i have to unlearn bad ones as well which is even harder but as everyone said above its all fun.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:17 PM   #13
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States

Well, Stephanie, it's been about a month since your origional post. Have you started yet and what do you think so far?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:27 AM   #14
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Yeah, I'm dying to know what you think of our Mick!

(I believe Stephanies going to go along to one of our yorkshire dojos, ya see)

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido Center of Miami - Join us for Micheline Tissier March 22 & 23, 2014 in Miami, FL