Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Location: Three Lakes WI/ Mishima Japan
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 837
Offline
Ki Power!

With all the threads on "ki" I wanted to share an interesting thing I found the other day. I live in Japan and the other day waiting in the dentist's office I was reading some of the books that were left out in the waiting room. There was an educational comic book that dealt with the situation of world hunger. A Japanese kid was magically transplanted to a country where there were starving children who explained their situation to him. One boy explained that they try to move as little as possible or they will lose "ki rokyu" of "ki power" due to their being so hungry.

I was thinking of how one might translate that sentence, but clearly none of the possible translations would include any kind of mystical meaning or any kind of meaning that would not be readily apparent to a Japanese elementary school student. I wonder if too many people are trapped by fantastical ideas of what ki might be.

Charles Hill
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
Mike Sigman
Location: Durango, CO
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,123
United_States
Offline
Re: Ki Power!

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
With all the threads on "ki" I wanted to share an interesting thing I found the other day. I live in Japan and the other day waiting in the dentist's office I was reading some of the books that were left out in the waiting room. There was an educational comic book that dealt with the situation of world hunger. A Japanese kid was magically transplanted to a country where there were starving children who explained their situation to him. One boy explained that they try to move as little as possible or they will lose "ki rokyu" of "ki power" due to their being so hungry.

I was thinking of how one might translate that sentence, but clearly none of the possible translations would include any kind of mystical meaning or any kind of meaning that would not be readily apparent to a Japanese elementary school student. I wonder if too many people are trapped by fantastical ideas of what ki might be.
Hi Charles:

I think it's fairly common to state that you "have no qi/ki" if you didn't eat breakfast, for example, and run out of energy. Speaking of cartoons, when I was a kid there were some Japanese comics that had these characters who had bowl-like indentations on their heads that they had to keep filled with water (from the rivers or ponds that they came from?), so they had to be careful and keep their posture upright or they would lose their power if the water tipped out. I often wondered if that idea of leaning over would weaken your powers was related to ki beliefs. Anyone ever seen these characters?

FWIW

Mike
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Location: Tokyo
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 571
Japan
Offline
Re: Ki Power!

Many, MANY years ago when I first came to Japan I heard a great pick-up line...directed at me <happy, happy, joy, joy>

It was: "Our KI's mesh".

I have no idea if this Japanese woman made it up or if it is a translation of a common Japanese pick-up line.

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
Mike Sigman
Location: Durango, CO
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,123
United_States
Offline
Re: Ki Power!

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
Many, MANY years ago when I first came to Japan I heard a great pick-up line...directed at me <happy, happy, joy, joy>

It was: "Our KI's mesh".

I have no idea if this Japanese woman made it up or if it is a translation of a common Japanese pick-up line.
You should have said, "Ki's met!" or "Ki's me, you fool".
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
akiy
 
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,837
Offline
Re: Ki Power!

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Speaking of cartoons, when I was a kid there were some Japanese comics that had these characters who had bowl-like indentations on their heads that they had to keep filled with water (from the rivers or ponds that they came from?), so they had to be careful and keep their posture upright or they would lose their power if the water tipped out. I often wondered if that idea of leaning over would weaken your powers was related to ki beliefs. Anyone ever seen these characters?
You're talking about the mythical "kappa" creature:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(mythical_creature)

As far as the use of the term "ki" in everyday Japanese language, here's something I wrote up a while back:

http://www.aikiweb.com/language/ki_phrases.html

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
Many, MANY years ago when I first came to Japan I heard a great pick-up line...directed at me <happy, happy, joy, joy>

It was: "Our KI's mesh".

I have no idea if this Japanese woman made it up or if it is a translation of a common Japanese pick-up line.
Nope -- not made up at all. Most likely, it was "ki ga au." Interesting enough, the "au" comes from "ai" as in "aikido"...

-- Jun

Last edited by akiy : 07-14-2005 at 08:54 AM.

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Location: Tokyo
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 571
Japan
Offline
Re: Ki Power!

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Nope -- not made up at all. Most likely, it was "ki ga au." Interesting enough, the "au" comes from "ai" as in "aikido"...
Thanks Jun...I guess I wasn't as unique as I had hoped, but at least she went through the trouble of trying to translate it for me

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:17 AM   #7
jk
Location: Indonesia
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 245
Offline
Re: Ki Power!

So I went to the Wikipedia link Jun posted regarding kappa, and didn't find anything there. Googled, and came up with the following at about.com:

http://japanese.about.com/library/weekly/aa110400.htm

Scroll down and you'll find some info on the creature; including interesting tidbits such as "Kappa are known for dragging people into the water and pulling out their livers through their anuses."

The next mythical creature/beast/ghost on the list happens to be "rokurokubi," which made me think of my ex-wife...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #8
Mike Sigman
Location: Durango, CO
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,123
United_States
Offline
Re: Ki Power!

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
As far as the use of the term "ki" in everyday Japanese language, here's something I wrote up a while back:

http://www.aikiweb.com/language/ki_phrases.html
Nice! How about "Denki"? In both Japanese and Chinese, qi/ki is ubiquitous and part of many words, indicating (a.) its importance in cultural/daily concepts and (b.) the original vagueness of this catch-all concept, IMO.

Regards,

Mike
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #9
akiy
 
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,837
Offline
Re: Ki Power!

Quote:
John Kuo wrote:
So I went to the Wikipedia link Jun posted regarding kappa, and didn't find anything there.
The closing parenthesis was left off of the URL. It's fixed above now.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:24 AM   #10
batemanb
 
batemanb's Avatar
Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Location: body in UK, heart still in Japan
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,029
Offline
Re: Ki Power!

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
You should have said, "Ki's met!" or "Ki's me, you fool".

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:32 AM   #11
tedehara
 
tedehara's Avatar
Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Location: Evanston IL
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 826
Offline
Re: Ki Power!

Maxi Priest's 1992 release For Real on Charisma Records was subtitled Honki. With the ki idiom being used so much in the language, it's like trying to tell a fish about water.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ki energy defined Guest_779 General 111 08-16-2013 09:50 AM
Poll: If you could be uke for yourself, would you be able to throw yourself? AikiWeb System AikiWeb System 72 08-07-2013 05:16 PM
Aikido and being Christian Nick Spiritual 178 07-31-2010 06:47 PM
Stanislavsky and Ki DaveO General 11 01-20-2006 10:11 AM
Train In Ki And Why chadsieger Training 54 06-15-2002 10:26 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate