Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-26-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
malsmith
Dojo: Masters of Aikido in Fogelsville
United_States
how to explain aikido

so i find myslef in this situation alot... where i am talking to someone and they want to know WHY i love aikido so much and what makes it so special or different from karate or anything else.
and i can never ever find the words to explain it.

there is one guy in particular who is always saying "well what if i come in with a really fast jab, then you wont be able to block it!" "im obviously stronger, so i can beat you, right?" or "im taller and heavier so im better." and i know that i can handle myself in all those situations (ya know against bigger people), i just dont know how to make other people understand that i (anyone who practices aikido) can.

and then it doesnt help because this other girl told that same guy that she would not be able to handle him if he attacked her (because he is bigger and stronger) and shes a second degree black belt in KARATE
so now he thinks all martial arts are like that... so i know thats not all my fault he beleives that...i just wish i could make people see that aikido is amazing and that they are wrong.. in most cases... i do understand that aikido is not invincible but its still really good!!!!

please help
Old 06-26-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan
Re: how to explain aikido

His fragile ego is not your problem.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
bleepbeep
Dojo: kyokan dojo bacolod city/dale city aikikai, va
United_States

"One may explain water,
but the mouth does not become wet"
Takuan
Old 06-27-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Mal Smith wrote:
...i just wish i could make people see that aikido is amazing and that they are wrong.. in most cases... i do understand that aikido is not invincible but its still really good!!!!

please help
The best thing you can do in this situation is to leave it be, go back to the dojo and practice. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, I wouldn't waste my time trying to make anyone see anything, I could better invest my energy in my own practice, that's more important.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 06-27-2005, 01:44 AM   #5
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
there is one guy in particular who is always saying "well what if i come in with a really fast jab, then you wont be able to block it!" "im obviously stronger, so i can beat you, right?" or "im taller and heavier so im better." and i know that i can handle myself in all those situations (ya know against bigger people), i just dont know how to make other people understand that i (anyone who practices aikido) can.
Once I asked my sensei what would he do if someone put a hadaka jime (rear naked choke) on him while on the ground. He said.. go ahead put on your best Hadaka jime on me. I did and he said harder, harder... since he is sensei... I obey. Next thing I know... I am nursing a very sore shoulder and rib. I think that was fun... so next time i will ask him what would he do if someone try to.....

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:00 AM   #6
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

I know this message may seem a little harsh. And you intentions are good, and I apologize my English is not good enough to write the message I have in a friendlier manner given my current time constraints.

Quote:
Mal Smith wrote:
and then it doesnt help because this other girl told that same guy that she would not be able to handle him if he attacked her (because he is bigger and stronger) and shes a second degree black belt in KARATE
so now he thinks all martial arts are like that... so i know thats not all my fault he beleives that...i just wish i could make people see that aikido is amazing and that they are wrong.. in most cases... i do understand that aikido is not invincible but its still really good!!!!

please help
The Girl is right and you should learn from her. You should not care if he thins he can beat you, and in most cases you can't even be sure that he can't.
So let him hold on to his confidence in his ability, and stop trying to prove your own superiority to him. Your abilities are your own, and are not meant to brag about.

Amir
Old 06-27-2005, 07:35 AM   #7
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

Mal, are you looking for a way to explain Aikido to everyone? Me, too. Right now if someone asks I ask them if they want me to "explain" it or "sell" it to them. "Explain" takes less time but sounds less impressive. "Sell" involves slow-mo punches and nikkyo.

I still don't know why it's so hard to explain how/why it works. I refuse to say "We use our enemies energy against them." There's no enemy and "against" isn't even close. "Blending with the energy of our partner" just brings a quizzical expression. After a few minutes they usually back away, not breaking eye-contact.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #8
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

I found that inviting them to a session does wonders.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-27-2005, 09:21 AM   #9
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

If I was a sceptic no amount of slow-mo anything is going to sell me a practice, unless the culmination of the training is intended to be executed in slo-mo.
I like Boon's (sensei's) method better.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 06-27-2005, 02:58 PM   #10
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

I think most Aikidoka looking for students went around blasting people. You should blast the guy if you're confident in your skills. If you're not confident, then admit that you think he'll whoop you...then when he turns around, blast him

One other thing. I've often heard, but never understood until recently, "Aikido teaches you how to move." I think that's accurate.

Besides, why can't he win a fight? It's not like just because you train you're able to magically take on any. Isn't that part of the perspective on MAs that we all gripe about?

Last edited by Adam Alexander : 06-27-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Regardless of one's skill level or size of the attacker, SURPRISE is a biggie. It's easy for "non-believers" to have an answer for everything when they know that one is a martial artist. They should never see you coming.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:09 PM   #12
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

i used to have this happen alot. Aikidoka seem to be very prone to this logic since we train typically with one technique and then respond. It is a good way to train to develop good habits, not so good in a real fight.

What your friend is presenting to you is not something that is anymore real (a quick jab) than the slow, deliberate, controlled attacks we train with in aikido.

Real fights are made up of more than just one quick jab. It requires timing, distance, and mulitiple attacks, feints, etc. If someone through one jab at me, i'd either get hit or it would miss me. What happens after that depends on many things. Hopefully I am balanced and can follow through.

I usually smile and tell them "you got me!" or smile and tell them "in real life, you'd better hope that jab puts me down, cause i'm coming back at ya with more than that!" ....
"do ya wanna see?" they will usually smile back and go on there way.

I find as I get older and more experienced, I have less people that do that to me. every now and then, and yes, they still "get me", experience doesn't make you any better at dealing with the "quick jab" from a naysayer...just my ego doesn't care to deal with it anymore!
Old 06-27-2005, 03:17 PM   #13
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
...we train typically with one technique and then respond. It is a good way to train to develop good habits, not so good in a real fight.

Just wanted to add...I think that's when learning basic techniques. When (atleast what we do) you get the basics to a level, you do continuations...which, I think, develop the ability to move from one technique (or atleast attempted technique) to the next.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!