Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Question I'm on a quest for a book...

Hello All,

I could use some help with this... I have a very large Aikido book collection (170+ different titles) which I use for my own personal study, and occasionally for the benefit of a few of my fellow students. I am only aware of five English language titles ever printed that I do not have, the most significant of which is the recent translation of Tohei Sensei's "Way to Union with Ki".

This is a Ki Society proprietary book. Ki Society hdqtrs. in Japan has informed me that they have the book and can sell me a copy, if I can secure the approval of a Ki Society Dojo-cho. There are no society dojos here in Florida, and my contacts with some others outside Florida have not borne fruit. I am now at a loss as to how to proceed. This collection is surely one of the most unique and complete in existence, and would seem worthy to house a copy of this book. Can anyone suggest how it might come to pass?

Domo Arrigato,

CRBateman
Old 09-29-2004, 04:46 PM   #2
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: I'm on a quest for a book...

I would suggest you contact David Shaner Sensei in South Carolina. That would be the closest direct connection you have. The book was in limited run intended to be bought by current Ki Society students so I don't know how far you will get with anyone. We have 5 or 6 copies here. Last time I heard, you had to be more than just a dojo-cho like me. Though maybe that's changed. The original run was personally signed by Tohei Sensei. I doubt that he is doing that now. The photographs are great but in technical sequences somewhat confusing since the camera doesn't remain at one reference point.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
The Way to Union with Ki

You are suppose to be a member of the Ki Society to order that book. You need the signature of a Chief Instructor from the Ki Society not a Dojo Cho. I know because I ordered one for myself.

This book was originally priced at $250 USD. I remember someone on Yahoo's ki info group trying to dump their copy for the original price. You can check the back messages for info. They are located in Australia.

This is really a good book. But it might seem like gibberish in parts unless you've trained with the Ki Society.

Good Luck

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 09-29-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Have you tried this source?

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...ia/message/908

Last edited by Dan Rubin : 09-29-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #5
crbateman

Thanks for the info so far... Please keep your suggestions coming...

I am tracking down your leads... hopefully something will open up. I will post here if I get lucky.

By the way, I am led to believe that some unsigned copies remain at Ki Society- Japan. I doubt that a signed copy will be available, but for my purposes that is not a requirement. I'm told it is an enormous and beautiful book, and well worth the cost. It may well be Tohei Sensei's last book, and although the Society tells me some thoughts have been given toward mainstream publication, I'd prefer not to leave that to chance. Hopefully, somone will feel this a worthy ambition.

Thanks again, and keep those leads coming.

CRBateman
Old 08-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
Lars
Dojo: Aikido Esbjerg

i find it distastefull to rob actual ki no kenkyukai members the chance to get one of the very limited books, merly because it will compleate a colection. The book has some very valuble information for ki society members that rarely comes out, and it would doublessly help many students of shinshin toitsu aikido (ki-aikido) atain there goals. Please keep in mind that there is very little information in the book for other aiki styles, that has not already been written in either ki-in daily life, or "AIKIDO cordinating mind and body for selfdefence" both by Tohei sensei. please if you do get the book read it for its information and then sell it on, so others might benifite, dont just add it to a colection its selfish and very non Budo.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Well, I agree with Lars in that if/when you are no longer using the book please put it back into circulation. (But I would say that to anyone regardless of whether they are in the ki society or not.) If you are actively going back to the books in your study then please get it and keep it. I hope you find the book, read it, process it, and continue to help people learn any valuable messages it offers. I would hope that is the point of writing such a book. Having an 'intended audience' is generally so that you don't have to first spend a zillion pages getting the uninitiated on track. If you have read all of the other books, and are actively training and teaching aikido and working out with members of the different styles, then it's good for everyone if you can get a copy of the book. It's the same spirit that this particular web site is all about. I believe in that spirit and so I contribute where I can.

Rob
Old 08-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
crbateman

Chill out, Lars. Only an idiot buys a book and doesn't use it. I read all my books, and refer to them regularly afterwards. I also share my collection freely with those I train with. And I work hard to get the word out on good (and bad) books for the benefit of others (check out the AJ Bibliography if you doubt that). I therefore think (respectfully) that you are way out of line if you think that I am "cheating" anybody.

My not being a society member is a function of the fact that there is no Ki Society dojo in my city, or even in my state. Is this MY fault? Further, any society member can get a copy straight from Ki no Kenkyukai headquarters in Japan, with their chief instructor's consent. They are not sold out, so exactly who am I harming? (There is even talk within the society of publishing the book for mass release).

I deal in preservation, not deprivation, and my motives are totally honorable. You need to find something more important (and more accurate) to get critical about.

P.S. (I did get my own copy, and nobody died...)
Old 08-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Book collectors collect books. This is a different mind-set than the normal reader. By gathering books from a certain period, author or subject, they create complete sets of information. That's what they do. It doesn't matter if it's first edition modern American authors, Dr. Seuss or Aikido books. You might as well ask a bird not to fly or a dog not to bark.

I have also been told there are available books in Japan. So I doubt the sale of one book will matter either way.

The Way to Union with Ki is not like Ki in Daily Life or Aikido: Coordinating Mind and Body for Self-Defense. It is more like This is Aikido (the blue book). It is primarily technique oriented. Part of the expense was having glossy pages for all the photos.

BTW if anyone is getting ready to dump their beat-up but readable copy of This is Aikido for cheap, email me. It seems I'm always losing an auction to some book collector.

Congrats on getting your copy CR.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 08-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
crbateman

Thanks, Ted. It's a great book, and a testimony to a lifetime of dedication. Got mine from a guy you probably know in S.C. (He carried it back from Japan personally.) My Aikido fetish has afforded me the opportunity to meet some of the finest and most genuine people on the planet, and he is at the top of the list. I would not trade the friendship we have developed for a hundred books.

I'll keep an eye out for an extra copy of "This is Aikido", and let you know if I find one. Cheers.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.