Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #26
AikiSean!

Dojo: Alpharetta Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Too many expectations?

You will walk into the dojo with one idea, and walk out with a whole different idea. Not a bad one, just a different one. Some nights you will walk out of the dojo and feel as if you have learned nothing, that what you thought was right - was wrong. Keep going. Keep training. The insecure feelings will become less and less frequent as you start to understand what you are doing. Following footsteps is'nt the hard part, the hard part is understanding what the footsteps do to your uke and why its necesarry for the technique to work. Best advice I can give, try not to let your frustration control you.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #27
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

As a confirmed reader and thinker, I have to say that there is NOTHING to replace getting on the mat.
You don't even know what questions to ask 'til then.

Jeanne
Old 06-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #28
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote:
James, one reason everyone so sincerely wants you to get into the dojo is because each and every one of us is quietly kicking ourselves for our own procrastination at the beginning. There will NEVER be enough time to explore the rabbit hole, and everyone wishes that they had started earlier and trained harder in the past.
By the way, this is an awesome post.

Jeanne
Old 06-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #29
James Jones
United_States

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies. As I've already said, many things on this thread I did not want to hear(well, this is the internet, so technically I didn't...), but it has been quite informative. I now realize that the things I sought in Aikido, can be found in other martial arts, and even other activities. I also understand that I can't just go in and expect this and that. Although I still hope to gain some of the things on my list and I believe it can happen. I've decided to wait to train in Aikido. I still want to someday, but at this point in my life, another martial art(or more accurately, several) would probably suit me better. Both financially and goal-wise. I have been wanting to compete in MMA tournaments. And I know that if I studied Aikido, I would have to put that off(unless I cross trained) or maybe just not do it at all. I know that deep down, I want to compete. Not to be better than someone else, but to always improve myself. In skill, and hopefully some things on my list along the way. I know I want to do this, but I'm still not entirely sure I should. It will be a long road, as I need to actually acquire something called skill, and lost quite a bit of something called fat.
So anyways, I'm going to try and get into Judo and some boxing too. Then I'll just work from there and see how that goes.

Janet,
I do think what you have been saying has much validity. I never meant to downplay the physical role Aikido has, we just have a different way of approaching new things I guess. I admire the determination that you have to continue training despite the setbacks.

Thanks again everyone.

Jones
Old 06-04-2005, 11:27 PM   #30
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Good luck to you.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:30 AM   #31
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Blimey James, that's a bit of a change from the first post in the thread! I just re-read it and didn't see anything there about MMA competitions. Anyways, you've decided that Aikido isn't right for you at this time, which is fine, maybe one day you'll come back and actually try it out to see.

In my experience, the people that ask the most questions (especially those that have actually never tried Aikido) are the ones that never get round to trying it, I get many such e-mails. Here's a sample cut from a mail that I got recently:

Hi there,

I’ve been looking to join an Aikido school for a while now as I am very interested in this martial art.

I was wondering what sort of pricing and teaching arrangements you have? I would be looking to study extremely hard and very frequently as I am a very hard working person.

I have lots of free time and have had a keen interest in martial arts from a very early age. I really want to get into it and become involved in Aikido.

Needless to say, the person did not respond to my reply, nor have they attended any of our classes. This was not unexpected. Janet's post was one of the best ones in the thread, it just came out a little blunt for you. The only way you can ever know whether Aikido is going to be right for you is to try it, yes by all means ask yourself some questions, set yourself some goals, but get on the mat. You can use the choosing football/ college analogy if you like, but if you can't get yourself to the local club to try a 1 or 2 hour class, then you're never going to make it, regardless of the art you choose. The analogy then becomes an excuse to justify the fact that you haven't done anything yet.

I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for, but like most here have said, you won't if you don't actually get out and do it.

Kind Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 06-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #32
James Jones
United_States

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
Blimey James, that's a bit of a change from the first post in the thread! I just re-read it and didn't see anything there about MMA competitions.
For the simple reason that competitions are far less important to me than the things on my list.

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
In my experience, the people that ask the most questions (especially those that have actually never tried Aikido) are the ones that never get round to trying it, I get many such e-mails.
That's insulting, considering you know very little about me.
I would have already tried Aikido if it was not for my financial situation. First classes are always free, you say? Yeah, but I would feel like a major jerk if I take a class for free and then not show up again for months later to take my first non-free class. That's just how my personality is.

Quote:
Needless to say, the person did not respond to my reply,
I think my participation on this thread proves I am not like this individual who initiated a correspondance and then failed to reply.

I was very interested in what Aikido had to offer. At least, what I *thought* it had to offer. Then I realized that maybe I have the wrong idea. So I come on these forums, hoping to get some clarification of what I can expect from Aikido. And that's what happened. Don't mistake my taking of advice from the forum members, for something that was just an insincere interest in Aikido. While no one advised me to postpone Aikido, the information I was given by you people, is the direct reason why I have chosen to wait. Basically all of you told me that I can find what I want in other things as well, and it really does not have to be Aikido. Thank you for being honest.

I also wanted to clarify how what I meant about MMA suiting me better financially. Just to be clear, I never meant to suggest that I am going to be some major competitor who makes a lot of money winning prizes. I was referring to the training being cheaper.I want to find a low-cost Judo club, and I could train boxing in a gym. Although the boxing thing I'm not too sure about, because I worry about brain damage. I've done a lot of bag work before, very little sparring, so maybe I'll just start bag work again, and not spar.

Anyway, I just didn't want anyone to think I was full of myself thinking I'm going to be a professional athelete. Even if I do end up competing, it is very far fetched that it would be an actual prize fight. Furthermore, even if I don't compete at all, I'll at least get the experience of learning different things. I would like to learn as much as I can.

Quote:
Janet's post was one of the best ones in the thread, it just came out a little blunt for you.
And here we go with the "you can't handle the truth" crap.

Quote:
You can use the choosing football/ college analogy if you like, but if you can't get yourself to the local club to try a 1 or 2 hour class, then you're never going to make it, regardless of the art you choose. The analogy then becomes an excuse to justify the fact that you haven't done anything yet.
Actually, the fact that I lost a (relatively) decent paying job, and had to take an exceedingly crappy low paying job, has been my excuse. But excuses are for losers I guess. I am a loser though so I guess its okay. My wife makes sure to remind me of that at least once a week.

Seriously, she does...

now what was i saying? oh, aikido, mma, training, job...etc
Old 06-05-2005, 03:07 PM   #33
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany

MMA classes cheap? Don't know about that! Given the wave of popularity, and the fact that the good ones have been proven in the ring...I have found them to be very, very costly. I am accustomed to no mat fees, up to $10.00 "donation" in aikido.

In most MMA or BJJ dojos....it is $25.00-$30.00 per class for a reputable and proven place.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:52 AM   #34
James Jones
United_States

I can imagine many MMA schools are quite expensive. I'm not going that route though. I'm going to try to get into Judo which is apprently known to be inexpensive. And its also possible to train in boxing for free. I guess in that case it depends on who is training you or who you are training with.

And I can tell you that I have yet to find an Aikido school here in central Ohio that charges just a $10 donation. I think its great that there are schools out there like that, but they just aren't here.

"In most MMA or BJJ dojos....it is $25.00-$30.00 per class for a reputable and proven place."

If I am not mistaken, Bushido Martial Arts Club charges only $45 per month for BJJ instruction. Can't remember how many classes per week though.
The Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy , charges $85 per month for 2 classes a week. That averages to approximately $10.63 cents per class.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com