Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-31-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
mazmonsters
Dojo: independant
United_States
Nice Video

Greetings all. I read a thread about the video I created last year, www.ryokuaki.com/video/brian/mpg. First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Matthew and I live in Michigan. The video is taken from our Aikido class' first 6 months in existence. We have been in existence for a little over a year now, under Brian Wojonowski Sensei, who is a police officer in Warren, MI. This is his first class he is teaching, and he trained under Kastumi Nikkura Sensei for 10 years. The website desperately needs to be updated. The video was to promote Aikido in general and was originally a Christmas gift for our Sensei out of our appreciation for his teaching. He is the one who wanted to put it on the web. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. Also, my production company, M.A.T.E. is brand new in its existence. My brother, Nate, and I are the company. So the name is a collaberation of our two names, Matt/Nate. Also, I recently visited the Tenshin Aikido dojo in Orlando, FL. I must say that I was extremely impressed. It is the best dojo I've trained at.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-31-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Choku Tsuki

Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
United_States
Re: Nice Video

I think Matt meant to provide this link:

http://www.ryokukai.com/video/brian.mpg
Old 05-31-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
Brad Darr
Dojo: Aikido of Flagstaff/Seibukan Aikido Kobe
United_States

I liked the video it was well done. I only take isse with one thing, which is in the intro you say that O'sensei dedicated himself to "Bushido the way of the warrior". You should have used Budo, bushido is the list of etiquette and ethics that was used by the samurai. Budo is the warriors path. It is a slight difference but as far as I know O'sensei did not embrace the bushido code. Other than that great video. Any chance you could give some more info about Katsumi Nikkura sensei, as I have never heard of him.

the edges of the sword are life and death
no one knows which is which
-Ikkyu Sojun
Old 06-01-2005, 07:08 AM   #4
mazmonsters
Dojo: independant
United_States

Thanks for the compliments and the info on Budo vs. Bushido. Nikkura Sensei was a student for several years under the founder, and he also is highly ranked in Judo and Karate...he is heavily involved in Ki healing, and supposedly healed his own daughter from cancer with Ki energy. This is what he dedicates most of his time to now. He is also 16th generation Samurai. His website is www.ryokukai.com. Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-01-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
He is also 16th generation Samurai
Ah, no, he isn't, unless I am greatly mistaken...there are no 'samurai' anymore. His ancestors may well have been samurai, but there haven't been any more since the Meiji Restoration, I believe.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-01-2005, 08:16 AM   #6
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

I think it is an over-statement to be called a samurai (one who serves), but those are common in the Japanese and US culture. Heck, I was informed that 'you are Japanese now' last time I was in Japan (and DNA would suggest otherwise!). The basic story was that I had kicked a shihan who asked me to kick him and word got back to my sempai in Japan. The main one told me (translation) 'You are Japanese now. Next time, you make sure you do not hit them. You will know and they will know, and no one else needs to know'. If I can be Japanese, this guy can be a samurai.

Rob
Old 06-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

You can't be japanese, and this guy can't be a samurai... and we both know it...

Ron (hehe)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!