Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-25-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States
Mac Vs. PC

Hello everyone! I have just been accepted to a University that is entirely on Mac OS and Mac computers. My question is what do I need to know as a PC user to survive in a Mac world. Stuff like what programs can I expect to work/not work, webpages that dont work, system crashes and other unusual stuff. Basically how does Mac measure up to PC?

Thanks alot!
Old 05-25-2005, 11:40 PM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Mac Vs. PC

Honestly I have no clue but everyone I know who has switched to Mac says they will never go back to PC.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-26-2005, 02:22 AM   #3
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

Well, if you're like I was when they sat me in front of a mac, you have to know that you get the diskette out by dragging the icon to the trashcan.

Or if you're an engineer like me, you get a paperclip and pop the manual release thingy... ;-)
Old 05-26-2005, 02:37 AM   #4
Thomas Ambrose

United_States

I think it is the open apple key, or the little swirly key, but it acts kinda like Ctrl for copying and pasting. When I learned that one, it saved me so much time... too bad I seem to have unlearned it as well.

I have "been" both ways back when I was Site Consultant for my old university, but am still loyal to PC. I will say however, that I have almost NEVER had a problem with Mac programs freezing or crashing or anything...

But congratz on being accepted to the university!
Old 05-26-2005, 02:47 AM   #5
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

I never worked with an apple, but if you ever have to do a presentation somewhere else, make sure you check it on an Micorsoft PC. Powerpoint conversion between Mac and Microsoft is often buggy.
If you want to have an office solution that works on different platforms (eg. on your Mac at university and the Windows PC at home) you might try OpenOffice.
Good look for your university career. What will you study?
Old 05-26-2005, 03:46 AM   #6
aikispike
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Canada

I use both Mac and PC. Both have their advantages. The Mac does some things better than the PC, actually many things. The PC does a few things better than the Mac.

Web browsing is sometimes a problem on a Mac - switching browswers can help. Sarari, the Mac browser, is a great browser - much better than IE. Mac Word is probably better than Windows, but I prefer the way Excel runs on the PC.

OS X really doesn't crash as much as a Windows box does...I'm sure you've heard that before. Its true. There are also fewer mac virus problems. If you haven't used a mac before, but know how Windows works things are not that complicated or different. Getting Mac for Dummies would be a good idea.

The Mac needs more RAM than a PC does - XP can run with 256, but a Mac cant really. You should get 512GB minimum for your Mac. Dont run it with what Apple bundles the system with - upgrade. You will notice the difference. If you do graphics work, get as much memory as you can afford.

The software that is bundled with the Mac is FAR superior to what is bundled with the PC.

Spike
Old 05-26-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
vw_8
Dojo: Kushinkan
United_States

I have used both mac and PC as a student. The mac is great for graphics and graphic oriented work but it was my observation that the mac tended to be 1-2 releases behind on some software versions (especially CAD and 3-D software). It is hard to find Mac software outside of the school computing store. If you like the PC platform, you can run a program called virtual windows that will mimic the windows interface.

Macs do not tend to crash as much but when I have seen them crash, it is almost impossible to recover lost data. Also check when moving from one system to the next. Sometimes the file format is different (my class had problems with the file extension on In-Design documents) or if you are using software that is not currently available in the current release for mac, make sure you remember to convert the file to the older format before attempting to open it. And, as always, make multiple back-up copies of your work and do not rely on the server to archive it.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:30 PM   #8
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Hi Dustin,

I also work with both Mac's and PC's on a daily basis. My personal preference is PC however, as Spike stated, their are advantages to both.

I also agree that the bundled software is better with the Mac, however the same or similar software is available for the PC. I think the main difference is that the PC is more about "choice" in that there are lots of programs out there that do the same thing in various ways for various prices whereas for the Mac you have a limited selection and have to make do, albeit the programs are usually good.

WRT the crashing and freezing. My PC and my Mac freeze about as often as each other. Now that the Mac runs on a real OS (as opposed to OS 9.x or anything before) these little quirks are inevitable.

One HUGE thing to watch out for is the way dragging and dropping for copying works. On the PC if you drag a folder over and if the same folder exists it asks you if you want to replace the files inside of it. When you do, it leaves the other, unique files in that folder alone. On a MAC it asks you if you want to replace the folder...so the whole folder gets replaced and anything that was unique in that folder is gone forever This is hugely STUPID, but as a lowly Apple Solutions Expert I don't pull much weight with Cupertino <sigh>

My few yen,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 05-26-2005, 08:23 PM   #9
makuchg

Dojo: FL Aikido Center
United_States

I have a lot of tech guys at my work and all swear by the Mac or Linux for PC. The reason Mac software doesn't have problems is the software is proprietary, written only for Mac by Mac. Also almost all viruses and pop-ups are written for PC, so those will also go away. Finally Mac keeps all parts of a application together where PC has bits of information spread all over your hard drive (that's why you have do defragment your hard drive on PC). As a result when a Mac has a problem it affects only that program, not the entire system. On a PC if one area has a problem there could be bits from every application affected which disables your PC. The Mac G3 processor runs all PC programs and file extensions so you shouldn't have a problem working on your PC and transferring the info to your Mac. Let us know how you like it.

Gregory Makuch
Wandering Ronin
Spring Hill, FL
Old 05-27-2005, 06:58 AM   #10
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
Hello everyone! I have just been accepted to a University that is entirely on Mac OS and Mac computers. My question is what do I need to know as a PC user to survive in a Mac world. Stuff like what programs can I expect to work/not work, webpages that dont work, system crashes and other unusual stuff. Basically how does Mac measure up to PC?

Thanks alot!
Mac, in my opinion is much better than PC.

It really depends on which OS version you'll be using, for OS X:

Mac OS is based entirely upon UNIX (similar to Linux, which is also based on UNIX), so some software, such as Gimp (photo manipulation), etc. is easily compatible with both.

What does a PC user need to know to survive on a Mac? Get the feel of the system. Open the System Preferences application and know where all your system preferences are at.

Macs do not crash, however they do have Kernal Panics. This is from Unix. Kernal Panics are very rare. I've only had 5, of which 3 were caused, in a row, from AOL Beta on an old (10.2) system of Mac OS X.

Quote:
The reason Mac software doesn't have problems is the software is proprietary, written only for Mac by Mac.
This is somewhat true. Don't neglect to mention however, Mac has a rich Java enviroment, allowing for multiplatform applications written in the Java language, such as Azureus, jIRCii, etc.

Quote:
WRT the crashing and freezing. My PC and my Mac freeze about as often as each other. Now that the Mac runs on a real OS (as opposed to OS 9.x or anything before) these little quirks are inevitable.

One HUGE thing to watch out for is the way dragging and dropping for copying works. On the PC if you drag a folder over and if the same folder exists it asks you if you want to replace the files inside of it. When you do, it leaves the other, unique files in that folder alone. On a MAC it asks you if you want to replace the folder...so the whole folder gets replaced and anything that was unique in that folder is gone forever This is hugely STUPID, but as a lowly Apple Solutions Expert I don't pull much weight with Cupertino <sigh>
The problem is easily solvable by selecting all the contents of the folder, and dragging them to the folder.

Odd. My Mac doesn't freeze. If I try to bite off more than I can chew (use multiple applications, all that eat up a huge chunk of my CPU) then I'm going to have lag issues, but not freeze.

Personally I would suggest going down to the local CompUSA, or Mac store, and fooling around with the computers to get the feel before you go, so you have a somewhat good idea of what you're doing.

also check out:

http://apple.com/switch

for answers to PC to Mac questions
Old 05-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #11
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States

Thanks alot everyone!! From what I understand from the campus people, I dont have much choice in switching so I will adapt. Looks like I'm going to get a job with the campus tech support people, so I'm sure that I'll have a pretty good handle on it pretty quickly. I'm going to be studying Nursing and become an RN. I'm already an EMT-I so I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting into.

System specs for what I'll be using are:

Powerbook
1.5 GHz G4
1 GB RAM
80 GB HD
15.2" XGA screen
64 MB video card (dunno which one)
Superdrive DVD/RW
wireless connection
Mac OS X Tiger

I'll be sure to check out Mac for Dummies

Thanks again for the help!!!
Old 05-28-2005, 09:25 PM   #12
thomas_dixon
United_States

It's not like a Mac is the plague. It's the cure.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:09 PM   #13
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
System specs for what I'll be using are:

Powerbook
1.5 GHz G4
1 GB RAM
80 GB HD
15.2" XGA screen
64 MB video card (dunno which one)
Superdrive DVD/RW
wireless connection
Mac OS X Tiger
Dustin...its a good system. You shouldn't have any problems.

Thomas...just a point about your "solution" about the copying and the contents of the folders. Your solution works for a single folder or perhaps one or two, but when you have to do it with > 50 and of course any sub-folders then it becomes time consuming and a pain.

Dustin...Whenever this religious argument about which is better...Mac vs. PC comes up Mac zeolites and PC fanatics will argue over ever little thing and say "it's better because of this".

I install, maintain, teach and use both on a daily basis and they are both just tools. They each have limitations and other things that they do very well.

Try to remember that when you hit things that you aren't used to and/or are done differently. They are just different...not better/worse...just different. Kind of like different styles of Aikido that way (one hopes :-) )

FWIW,

--Michael...seeing no plague and no cure needed

Last edited by maikerus : 05-29-2005 at 08:12 PM.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:12 AM   #14
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
Dustin...its a good system. You shouldn't have any problems.

Thomas...just a point about your "solution" about the copying and the contents of the folders. Your solution works for a single folder or perhaps one or two, but when you have to do it with > 50 and of course any sub-folders then it becomes time consuming and a pain
Automator, AppleScript, Shell scripts.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:44 AM   #15
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Automator, AppleScript, Shell scripts.
ha ha - Good point. Dustin..your first power user lesson

cheers,

--Michael

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!