Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
James Wood
Dojo: Mikitsubo Dojo\Gakubukan Hiroshima
Japan
Hello From Hiroshima

Hello from Hiroshima ! Hajimemashite.

I've been Aikido here in Hiroshima for about 2 years now and have come to feel that Aikido will be an important part of my life from now on. However I don't really have anyone to talk to about Aikido as I seem to be the only foreigner at any of the Dojos I go to, so I'm really glad to have been able to find this site. Forgive me if I ask stupid questions as I haven't been able to understand very much verbally from my lessons. Which may or may not be a problem....

Taking 1kyu next month which came as a bit of a surprise as I'd kind of given up going to my primary class due to work (though I continued with two other diverse classes), but my teacher really wants me to give it a try so wish me luck...

Also any books or recommendation would be welcome as this is first contact for me with English speaking Aikido people.

yoroshiku.

James
Old 05-24-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
akiy

Re: Hello From Hiroshima

Hi James,

Welcome to AikiWeb, and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-24-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

If you are looking for expats who practice aikido in Hiroshima, you should look up Dr. Peter Goldsbury. Quite a nice gent., and sure to give you some quality ukemi....

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-24-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Kevin Kelly
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
United_States

Quote:
James Wood wrote:
I seem to be the only foreigner at any of the Dojos I go to, so I'm really glad to have been able to find this site.
James
Hi James. And welcome. If your up for a little traveling, you could always go to Hitohiro Saito Senseis dojo in Iwama. They always have foreigners. You just might want to do a little research first about proper procedures about studying there and not just show up.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Peter will possibly chime in soon enough but if I remember correctly there are three non-Japanese teaching at one Hiroshima dojo. Peter (6th Dan) and two Germans (5th or 6th Dan). All three have been training in Japan for over 20 years.

There are dojos all over that are welcoming to non-Japanese - don't have to go to Iwama to do that.

Enjoy your training.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-24-2005, 07:15 PM   #6
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

James, good for you for studying in Japan. It takes courage and a good sense of adventure to enter a dojo where you are the only foreigner. Eventually, though you will become less of a foreigner to the folks you practice with and almost like family.
Regarding books, assuming you are practicing Aikikai style Aikido and not Yoshinkan or Tomiki or Ki Society, the best bet is the two books written by the Doshu Moriteru Ueshiba. I say this because they are quite literally the translation of two books that were written in Japanese and can be found in most Aikikai Dojos in Japan (the Japanese version that is). The same picture sequences are in both books, so you can reasonably ask questions of your Sensei through the use of the book.
If you're not studying Aikikai Aikido, it's still a good book, just probably not the most important one for you to buy.....
Old 05-24-2005, 11:12 PM   #7
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan

James,

I am in higashihiroshima (saijo.) We have dojo here with a good number of foreigners and japanese. Depends on where you are at in the ken, you could join us on the weekends.

Are you testing for ikkyu in july with kitahira shihan?

PM me.

Cheers
Eric

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com