Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #1
AikiSean!

Dojo: Alpharetta Martial Arts
United_States
Things that sneak up in testing!

Katatori nikkyo...mae nage? Ugh! Snuck up on me, did'nt even know the dang thing exsisted! My question is even in scenarios where Mae nage is part of technique, is there generally a mae nage from a tenkan version(honestly dont remember doing it for ikkyo tenkan)? Really jumbled me up good tonight. Also, what sorts of thing have snuck up on you guys in testings? Surely I'm not the only one!
Old 05-26-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
Re: Things that sneak up in testing!

I failed the first time I took my 4th kyu test because Sensei asked for a 5th kyu technique. I just went blank from shock.

Jeanne
Old 05-27-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
the slayer
Dojo: kaa headquarters

hi, my grading was 4th kyu and i was practicing for shomenuchi kaitenage which is 4th kyu so practicing this on tue he asked for yokemenuchi kaitenage which is a 3rd kyu tecnique i couldn't get it on tues but love doing this move.before other half of grading yesterday practicing this technique some students where saying he didn't ask for that he asked for shomenuchi so sensei shouts doing some of my other favourite moves iriminage (love doing) shionage tenshinage etc then he says shomenuchi technique then says yokemenuchi kaitenage did it after grading looked at syllabus yokemenuchi kaitenage is on the 3rd kyu syllabus
Old 05-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #4
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I had shomenuchi kokyunage on my fourth kyu test. Now, I knew I didn't do this throw very well, and when I went down to the Aikikai dojo on open-mat nights and tried it on them, it didn't work. But I figured that was because I was a fifth kyu and not very good at it.

Thursday before my test (I'd been training for it for six months) sensei was watching me do this kokyunage, with a pained expression, and I had a sudden thunderbolt that I was *doing it wrong.* That's why it didn't work. So on testing day I did the throw like I'd seen it for the first time the previous week....but at least it was the right throw.

A couple of weeks later I had the satisfaction of doing it to an Aikikai student and actually throwing him, too. He looked surprised, and so did I.

Mary Kaye
Old 05-27-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
the slayer
Dojo: kaa headquarters

i thought i would of got shomenuchi but got yokemenuchi which is in 3rd jyu did get a few shomenuchi moves as well but this confused me when sensei asked for yokemenuchi kaitenage not shomenuchi cause according to the syllabus what we have yokemenuchi is 3rd kyu i was doing my 4th kyu grading

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.