Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #151
Robyn Johnson

United_States
Re: Aiki Doh's

This happened years ago. I washed my gi with other clothes, grabbed it out of the dryer, and rushed to class. Half way through class, I got up from taking a roll and saw a pair of MY underwear in the middle of the mat!!! It must have been stuck inside of my sleeve and it flew out when I rolled! I snatched it up and hid it in my bag. Luckily, I was partnered up with another woman and we had a good laugh over it. I don't think sensei or any of the other guys saw what happened and we didn't tell them why we were laughing.

Robyn
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #152
Mario Tobias
Philippines

We were having our regular staff meeting at work. It was quite a long and boring meeting that I couldn't help but sometimes snooze.

It was time when the boss started delegating tasks to each one of us across the room. When it was my name that was called, being sleepy then and just hearing my name, I let out a big "HAI!" to the boss.

The whole world (or conference room for that matter) stopped which seemed for ages and you could sense that all heads were turned toward my way.

They had this funny, perplexed look at me wondering what the heck I was doing.

Never slept at meetings again.....

Last edited by Mario Tobias : 05-23-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #153
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Robyn Johnson wrote: View Post
This happened years ago. I washed my gi with other clothes, grabbed it out of the dryer, and rushed to class. Half way through class, I got up from taking a roll and saw a pair of MY underwear in the middle of the mat!!! It must have been stuck inside of my sleeve and it flew out when I rolled! I snatched it up and hid it in my bag. Luckily, I was partnered up with another woman and we had a good laugh over it. I don't think sensei or any of the other guys saw what happened and we didn't tell them why we were laughing.

Robyn
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the laugh!!!!!!!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #154
Robyn Johnson

United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the laugh!!!!!!!
Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #155
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

In my old dojo, we were having a demo and someone was short on time and took their gi out of the wash early and put it in the dryer so it would be done in time. Later, during the outdoors demo, it began to rain. His black gi turned into a white bubble gi as it began to suds up all over the mat. DISASTER! HAHA. The mats got all slippery from the soap, he was embarrassed and everyone else just tried to make the best of the situation.

Who knew you had to give a disclaimer to students before a demo to make sure your gi finishes the rinse cycle before putting it in the dryer.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #156
Robyn Johnson

United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
In my old dojo, we were having a demo and someone was short on time and took their gi out of the wash early and put it in the dryer so it would be done in time. Later, during the outdoors demo, it began to rain. His black gi turned into a white bubble gi as it began to suds up all over the mat. DISASTER! HAHA. The mats got all slippery from the soap, he was embarrassed and everyone else just tried to make the best of the situation.

Who knew you had to give a disclaimer to students before a demo to make sure your gi finishes the rinse cycle before putting it in the dryer.
Lol! This is hilarious! I would have loved to had seen all the suds!

Thanks for sharing,
Robyn
Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #157
Belt_Up
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Nocquet
United Kingdom

Performing a few techniques in a mock grading in front of the entire class. All was going well, until I was getting up from a pin, and backing away from my training partner, my heel slipped into a gap between two mats and I did that wonderfully embarrassing stagger/fall backwards you do when you're going over, stepping as fast as possible while unbalanced, speeding your fall.

Managed to turn it into ushiro ukemi, which won me some points with the instructor, but certainly didn't make my face any less red.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #158
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Robyn Johnson wrote: View Post

Robyn
Dear Robyn,
I guess you could say you made a bloomer!!!Just as well it wasnt a pair of boxer shorts or worse a gents trendy thong.
I must say I would had I been there I would have creased myself laughing if I noticed the incident.
All jolly fun eh? Cheers, Joe.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #159
Belt_Up
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Nocquet
United Kingdom

A fairly intense class began with the instructor telling us to make sure our attacks were fast, hard and realistic.

Jodan tsuki irimi nage, and I throw the first punch of the night, not full speed or full power because I knew fine well I would be unlucky and catch someone when they weren't watching, but a fast and powerful punch.

My partner blocked it and stepped in, but didn't block hard enough, and my fist and his blocking arm smacked him in the face.

The look of PURE UTTER GUILT on my face was enough to set everyone laughing. I couldn't apologise enough, but everyone but me saw the funny side.

End of class, the guilt was beginning to fade, and the instructor asked if everyone was okay. Cue a muttered "Everything but my face."
Old 09-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #160
SC Wong
Brunei

I was into my second month of training and on that fateful evening my sensei decided to call for a mock grading. We had a pretty intense session and I didn't have the time to adjust my dogi before the mock grading.

The last technique called was shomenuchi dai ikkyo. My sensei had always reminded me to pay attention to my finishing and all I could remember then was "finish with the gorilla pose! buttocks out!". I did exactly that.

When the class ended my senpai walked up to me and said, " you did pretty well for the mock test..and by the way...your buttocks looked really nice with those pink polka dots!"
Old 09-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #161
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan

I got some ones!! When I was doing suwari waza with a female member of our dojo, I proceeded to do shikko during a technique and ripped my crotch at the seams!!! The whole dojo was cracking up!! Thank goodness I wasnt going commando!!!

A friend of mine told me at his old club the chief instructor of his organization from Japan was visiting his club. He was performing kiatsu on a certain prankster member. When Kiatsu was performed on his back the member proceeded to fart loudly in the instructors face!!! The chief instructor of his enitre organization!!!! LOL

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #162
Richard.B.Martin
Dojo: Best Martial Arts, Eugene Oregon
United_States

My biggest D'oh Moment- (thus far).

Bokken training. Sensei teaches us the technique of Katana pommeling. (Or equivalent). I learn too well, and I managed to bean my uke in the forehead- and drew blood. Eventually, I bought him a beer to make up for it later on.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #163
Walter Martindale
Canada

Since it's thread resurrection time:
Warming up with a jo for that part of the seminar. Slips out of the hand, bounces end-over-end and then rolls right up to the shihan's feet - 15 metres away. Oops.

During a demonstration - Bokken shomen-uchi attack, I do a nikkyo style defense as taught, and when removing the bokken from the uke's hands, strike him above the eye with the "cutting edge" of the bokken. Draw blood. Get told - "and you didn't grab between his hands, you grabbed the blade instead of between his hands" Demo was at a martial arts tournament. Oops. Sorry Darryl.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #164
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan

I have too many to count....

At the end of class, we often do 50 squats. A new member dropped a HUGE fart by accident during one. The instructor ignored it and continued as if nothing happened, but you could see the smiles on everyone's faces as they tried not to laugh.

Sesei came around to help myself and my partner during suwariwaza shomenuchi ikkyo. As he was half-talking-half-doing the technique, my shomenuchi was too fast, probably as a result of having been training enthusiastically, and I smacked him in the head by accident. He ignored it.

I knocked the glasses of another shihan during class -- I can't remember if he was taking ukemi for me or it was a block to an atemi. I apologised and he kindly carried on as if nothing had happened.

Before class in one of our dojos at the kamiza Sensei will always light some incense for the kami at the beginning of class. So now always someone does it before Sensei arrives. I decided to do it one day so I carefully put three sticks in the ash pot and lit up a match. As I was trying to light the sticks before the match went out, I forgot to realise that there was a small plant adjacent and almost set it on fire! Someone told me afterwards that you're supposed to light them, then put them in place.

A teenage girl was doing duty making and pouring tea for everyone after class. She dropped the lid back on the tea pot and it cracked in half. The look of horror on her face I'll always remember. It was only a regular, cheap tea pot though, so no harm done.

Last edited by Currawong : 11-20-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #165
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States

So, my sensei has a buddy who is a law enforcement office. This friend used to drop in and watch our practices with some frequency, and sometimes grabbed a beer with us, afterwards.

So, one day this friend is there during jo practice. I'm still semi-new to it, maybe a year in or so, and I'm starting to get some better control. We were doing some elements of Chiba-shihan's 36 Kumijo, in particular, maki otoshi. Sensei pairs off with me briefly to feel out my progress, and it came my turn to be uke. Sensei gives me a maki otoshi with not much held back, I get my hand out of the way (and don't get it smacked), but my grip slips, and the jo flies in a straight line and hits the wall about one foot away from the buddy's head. D'OH!

He silently got up, walked out, and never came back again.