Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-02-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Takuan
Dojo: Circulo de Aikido
Brazil
How many shodans around the globe?

Hello everyone! This is my first post here at the Aikeweb forum. I've been training Aikido for about 15 years on and off. Next July I will be doing my shodan exam and I'm curious to know if there is an estimate of how many Aikido black belts there are around the world. Or even if there is an estimate of how many people practice Aikido. I'm really happy to be here sharing information about Aikido related subjects. Best regards to all.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: How many shodans around the globe?

This might give you some idea:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?articleID=643
Old 05-02-2005, 10:39 PM   #3
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Christiaan Oyens wrote:
Next July I will be doing my shodan exam and I'm curious to know if there is an estimate of how many Aikido black belts there are around the world.
I am under the impression that shodans are a dime a dozen.

When I make the mistake of telling someone not involved in the martial arts I have a black belt they start oohing and ahhing. Even after I've told them that my shodan is roughly the equivalent of a high school diploma. It's very silly. No one oohs and ahhs over high school diplomas.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
Melissa Fischer
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido/Seattle Holistic Center

What about the huge number of shodans who get the belt then quit having "been there, done that". Do they get counted?

It's my understanding that shodan stands for "serious student", kinda neat.

Hey Rebeccah, we miss you here in Seattle! Come on back an bring that nidan bro of yours!

Melissa
Old 05-03-2005, 12:56 AM   #5
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Rank is over rated.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:54 AM   #6
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Interesting question. Let's assume only actively practicing shodans are valid - then we can make a head count. I'll start.

ONE!!

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 05-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #7
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote:
Interesting question. Let's assume only actively practicing shodans are valid - then we can make a head count. I'll start.

ONE!!
LOL!

TWO!!

Ruth
Old 05-03-2005, 07:46 AM   #8
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

That's easy (at least if you are in the AIkikai). When you get your certificate just look at the number - they are issued in numerical order.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:47 AM   #9
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

One of my students got his back in October and his number (aikikai) was 101,926. I don't know what percentage are active but suffice it to say there are at least 100K aikikai shodans. I have no idea about other styles.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:49 PM   #10
Takuan
Brazil

Thank you all for your replies. I am also glad that the black belts that wrote here are so modest. I almost feel like a fraud for doing my exam in a couple of months. To me at this current stage of training, it's almost as if all I have achieved is memorizing certain techniques. I truly feel my training has only just begun.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:12 AM   #11
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Quote:
Christiaan Oyens wrote:
Thank you all for your replies. I am also glad that the black belts that wrote here are so modest. I almost feel like a fraud for doing my exam in a couple of months. To me at this current stage of training, it's almost as if all I have achieved is memorizing certain techniques. I truly feel my training has only just begun.
Sounds like you are just about ready

I just took my shodan-exam this easter, and it left an empty blank space. Suddenly my aikido felt completely hollow and useless. It was very frustrating. Little by little I'm getting back though and by now I enjoy it again. See the other thread on this site named "´Now what" or something like that. There I try to describe my experience.

I guess my advice is to expect a feeling of a 'low' right after the grading instead of the 'high' that one could expect. Maybe it won't happen to you, but if you expect it as a possibility then you might through it easier. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel

Good luck and remember to have fun!!!

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 05-04-2005, 09:37 AM   #12
Jeremy Young
Dojo: Tatsumaki Dojo/Springdale, AR
United_States

Dan Rubin:

Thanks for posting that link. I have always thought that this was interesting. My girlfriend is always finding this amusing that here in our little dojo in the united states we are so serious about the training and etiquette and yet when she has visited a dojo in japan it is not so much this way. Many times she has commented that americans (and i am sure this is true of other countries as well) seem to be more serious about the japanese martial arts than the japanese are! I also remember one time someone asking Obata sensei whether there was a higher quality of ma training in Japan and he replied something similar.
Jeremy
Old 05-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #13
Takuan
Brazil

Thanks Jørgen for that post. I have heard about the Shodan blues and I guess I am preparing for it in a way. Of course first I have to pass the exam ; - )

Just as I thought there are very few black belts around the world compared to the amount of people that train or have trained Aikido. To persevere seems to be fundamental in Budo, so many people just quit somewhere along the line.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com