Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-02-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Ulises Garcia

Mexico
Aikido from a beginner's point of view.

Hello Everybody,

My name is Ulises Garcia and, like most others, came to know about Aikido through the early films of Sensei Seagal. I am not a practicioner of Aikido yet, but I'm in the process of finding a dojo (although finding one in Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico, has proven challenging). I have been reading this site for some time, and I have to say that if I had my doubts about the art, they have vanished. I had already documented myself some about the art (about redirecting the attacker's energy, about O-Sensei, about how Aikido can actually lead to a life of peace), but now that I have read the minds of so many experienced people here, I have no other desire but to start my journey (and to savor every moment of it) in this art. I do have concerns, like so many others, as to how close the Aikido I learn will be to that of O-Sensei's. My own answer is, it will still be Aikido; I will be able to tell the differences as I walk along the path, and when I'm mature enough, I will be able to achieve my own Aikido.

I don't expect the art to be the "be all, end all". I know that as a martial art, it will not be perfect. It won't make me either bulletproof, nor invisible, nor able to defeat the greatest champion in history in a UFC/Pride/Name-your-favorite-MMA-tournament (hey, as a future aikidoka my concern is not to show off energy re-directing skills in a ring. To me that would be a waste of time), but I'm sure that if the world's greatest champion in history comes charging at me (you know that these MMA guys love to show off their stuff, given the smallest chance) in a fit of drunken rage, Aikido will allow me to handle him without causing damage to him or myself. That is what I'm seeking to learn.

I've been so fond of Martial Arts since I was little (I'm 33 right now), but have had no chance to train as much in any art. I have done Judo (this is one of my all-time favorites), Kung Fu and Shito-Ryu Karate. I have browsed some also through the rec.martial-arts newsgroup, and I must say that the overall attitude is "no art is good if it can't hold itself through a UFC, multiple attackers and car-bashing" and, with all due respect to all those who enjoy MMA, it seems to me like I'm listening to a bunch of hormone-driven teenagers, telling tales of "I'm much better than you... -No! I'm better than you!". In Aikiweb, it all seems different. I have consistently read how the true challenge is one's self and how the physical side is but a stepping stone to achieve the greater thing, which is inner peace and harmony with the universe. I look forward to see you all in the forums, and from time to time I'll be asking my stupid questions about techniques and, why not, about true effectiveness of stances and techniques given a certain scenario. Bear with me. I'm learning...

-U-
Old 05-02-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Aikido from a beginner's point of view.

Hi Ulises,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Murgen
United_States

Congratulations,

I think you'll love Aikido. Try contacting the following dojos. They may know of an Aikido dojo in your area of Mexico.

Good luck!

MEXICO

SoVesaGa Dojo
Maestro Juan H Vega Garcia, 6th Dan Chief Instructor
Toho Kami
Eumi Tami
Monterrey, N.L. Mexico
jftrevinos@hotmail.com

Warriors Arte Marcial Studio
Danny Gonzalez
Rayon S/W
San Luis de laPaz
Guanajuato
artmrcial@hotmail.com
Old 05-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

If you know of more people that might want to start a dojo, I would consider moveing there to teach.

-Chris Hein
Old 05-03-2005, 12:41 AM   #5
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel

Dear Ulises,
Welcome to Aikido, I think you'll enjoy it once you start.
Hope you find a dojo soon.
And if ever you get frustrated in any point of your path, go back and read your first post in the forums, then smile and know it's just another stepping stone on your way.
Good luck!
Anat
Old 05-03-2005, 12:49 AM   #6
Ulises Garcia

Mexico

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your interest. I really think that Mexicali needs much more Aikido. So far, I know only of two dojos, and they all have their classes until 9:00pm, and one of them doesn't even have a phone! It seems to be kinda "rough house". I think that it is a cultural thing, as not many people really know about the art, so if you decide to come down here, a lot of promotion would be in order. Also, if there is a branch of hell on earth, I think it would resemble a lot of Mexicali, for the temperatures can go as high as 52 Celsius. Rather difficult to handle with a hakama and everything, I would think. This is a nice place, though.

On a side question, would you happen to know an "Akira Sakane" (or "Zakane", I'm not sure). In this particular dojo "Aikido Ueshiba Ryu", Mr. Sakane is the one that makes the tests. Sensei Figueroa said that Mr. Sakane studied directly with O-Sensei, and that he makes his residence in San Diego. I understand that he doesn't have any affiliation with the Aikikai, but with the Hobu Dojo directly. Would that be a good thing? What do you know about this Mr. Sakane?

Thanks for your information...

-U-

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!