Re: Article: Levels of Application by Lynn Seiser
I think that the various stages or levels within Aikido is a very valid point.
However, as I finished reading this article I was thinking that there might be a couple more levels that are distinct enough and important enough to mention.
1. Physical conditioning and learning of basic movements
2. Technical Training (as in the article) and training of "muscle memory"
3. Learning to trust that technical training and your body
4. Sequential Training (as in the article)
5. Conceptual Training (as in the article)
6. Unconscious Competence (as in the article)
I realize that #1 can be included in #2 and #3 included in #4, but I think they might be unique enough to stand out by themselves. In particular, learning to trust your body is really, really hard. But once you have that then you can move on to the timing, maai, etc. because you aren't worried about which foot is forward or which hand is hitting.
Thanks for the article to help focus my thoughts.