Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-14-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido
AAaaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhh!

I partially separated my shoulder tonight in class. I'm supposed to wear a sling for 3-4 weeks! I was supposed to test for shodan on Friday.

grrrrrrrrrr.
just venting.

-LK
Old 04-14-2005, 02:06 AM   #2
eyrie

Australia
Re: AAaaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhh!

Aw c'mon, it's not that bad.... you still have one arm.... might be a good test yet.... good luck for Friday.

Ignatius
Old 04-14-2005, 02:49 AM   #3
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

I was going to say "Stop your whining and go train" but that might not work out so well.

How about...there's a story about a guy who entered an all karate Japanese tournament with one arm tied behind his back because and Aikido guy busted it for him and he won the tournament. You could try to do the test.

Seriously..I wouldn't think about testing. There are worse things than waiting until the next grading period. Just think how good you'll be then

I do, however, understand your frustration. I had to sit in seiza and watch class for a month 5 days a week, 4 hours a day because I was dumb enough to do something bad to my shoulder and was unable to train. On the plus side, when I was able to slowly start training again my shoulder was a good bounce detector, so I could tell when my balance was off

Good Luck,

--Michael

Last edited by maikerus : 04-14-2005 at 02:52 AM.

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 04-14-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club

I know of a woman who tested (for ni dan, I think) with a broken toe, despite encouragement to put off the test (or maybe just take a promotion instead). I think it's probably better for your body to wait, but YUCK! How frustrating!

--Amelia
Old 04-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Lorien, I feel your pain!
A shoulder separation, even a partial, should be allowed the full 6 to 8 wks to heal, or you will end up with chronic pain in it.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
Rod Yabut

United_States

For inspiration, I believe a dojo cho in MT or ID has been practicing aikido with 1 arm. You may wanna do a search on him. Like Janet, I feel your pain. Physically and emotionally frustrating it seems like.

Rod
"Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything." -- Miyagi Sensei
Old 04-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

There is or was a student in D.C. that practiced and tested in Aikido with no arms.

I think you should test.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
TomW
Dojo: Kodokan

Loren-

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I took my shodan exam in your dojo many moons ago, Northcoast's 20th anniversary gasshuku, if I recall, and also tested for nidan with Tom. Your post sparked a few memories.

I'd wait on the test, especially if you're going to have Carl or Robert as ukes.

Please say hi to everyone for me, and good luck when you do test.
Tom Wharton
Old 04-14-2005, 02:11 PM   #9
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I'm torn. My rational mind says of course you should wait until your healed. Taking the test now is not worth a life of chronic shoulder pain.

On the other hand I keep hearing the voice of a local karate instructor who says (paraphrase) "You're only as good as your worst day. If you are going to be attacked it's going to be when your leg is in a cast or your arm is in a sling."

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

Quote:
Tom Wharton wrote:
I'd wait on the test, especially if you're going to have Carl or Robert as ukes.
Neither; Robert just was called away for a family emergency, and Carl doesn't take much ukemi any more. Our current 'big bad uke,' Randy, isn't as big but is insanely fast.

But the doc said no aikido for four weeks.

-LK
Old 04-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #11
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Practicing with no arms is very different than practicing with an injury.
A person accustomed to no arms is a balanced and uninjured person.
A person with an injury is an unbalanced person, not only trying to protect the injury, but relying on a bunch of ancillary structures to do its work.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-14-2005, 08:33 PM   #12
Sue Hammerich
Dojo: Full Circle Aikido
United_States

Bummer; my heart goes out to you. If you don't test - I know how it feels to give something up due to an injury. It's a drag. But remember WHY you are involved in Aikido,and be grateful that this is only a temporary setback. You do have the good health (in the absence of this injury) and financial comfort to pratice Aikido in the first place. IMAGINE the challanges of the person with no arms - not only on the mat, but in the bathroom, when dressing, when he or she wants to hug his or her kid. If yoiu don't test - In the grand scheme of things, the time you wait will be insignificant, in the long run. Think, instead, of what you can learn from this incident; what you can appreciate or take from this time. If you don't test - What else will you now be able to offer others, both on the mat and off; what mentoring can you now provide, how does all of this shape you as a person?
Then again, I realize that you are, as you say, only venting, so I am sure you know all of this. I suppose I, too, was venting, writing such a self-serving post as I have.
If you DO test - good luck!!
Sue

Old 04-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #13
TomW
Dojo: Kodokan

Quote:
Lorien Lowe wrote:
Neither; Robert just was called away for a family emergency, and Carl doesn't take much ukemi any more. Our current 'big bad uke,' Randy, isn't as big but is insanely fast.
Red headed Randy? Aw heck, he's a pussy cat, you should go ahead and test.

Just Kidding

I'm sure the doc knows what he's talking about but when I ran my thumb through a table saw it about drove me nuts to be off the mat for four weeks, and I wasn't getting ready to test either. I can only imagine the emotional roller coaster.

It'll all work out in the long run, just sucks now.
Tom Wharton
Old 04-15-2005, 04:54 AM   #14
oldshatterhand
Sweden

Hi Lorien: Maybe waiting with your injured shoulder ,suffering and going on... IS THE TEST?

Please visit our sponsor:

Mugendo Budogu - Dogi cut to specifically to wear with hakama!