Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
kokyu
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 283
Hong Kong
Offline
Hanmi for attack

Having trained in dojos in several countries, I have noticed that different dojos have different "standard" hanmi when it comes to shomeunchi and tsuki.

For example, in one dojo, uke and nage would normally stand in gyaku hanmi before uke attacks. So, if nage's left foot is forward, uke's right foot would be forward. Uke would then attack by stepping forward with his left leg and striking with his left arm.

In other dojos, uke and nage would normally stand in ai hanmi before uke attacks. So, if nage's left foot is forward, uke's left foot would also be forward. Uke would then attack off his left foot and arm - the right leg does not step in front of the left.

From what I understand, standing in gyaku hanmi is dangerous because uke or nage can kick each other even before the "main" attack. Of course, in jiyu waza, randori, or even outside the dojo, people aren't going to adjust their hanmi before attacking.

But I AM curious and was wondering what hanmi you tend to adopt for shomenuchi and tsuki in your dojo and why?

Please share your thoughts
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
pezalinski
 
pezalinski's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
Location: harvard, IL
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 159
United_States
Offline
Confused Re: Hanmi for attack

I've observed the same thing, and was wondering, myself. At first glance, I thought it might be a matter of miai -- distance between attacker and target. Closer target enables you to attack from the front hand rather than a step-in-and-swing.... But at point-of-contact, nage usually is in ai-hanmi, to be able to be on the outside of the attack (rather than the vulnerable inside). Yet, I have seen techniques where nage enters on the inside of the tsuki or shomen attack (for, say, a sumi-otoshi throw).

Perhaps the hanmi is nage's choice, depending on their preferred response-style to the attack?


A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
Location: East Haven, CT
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,402
United_States
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

I think we just make some conventions to avoid a lot of noisy conversation about how to set things up. Eventually, the conventions have to go away. - Rob
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
ChristianBoddum
 
ChristianBoddum's Avatar
Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Location: Aarhus,Denmark
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 263
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

Hi !
In my dojo Shomenuchi and tsuki is always ai hanmi - as a starting point.
When you are training at higher levels it doesn´t matter,
you should then be able to adjust to whatever is coming your way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
Location: Phila. Pa
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,614
United_States
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

Someone mentioned coming on the 'inside' of the attack...that is certainly doable, but probably a lot safer if you enter with atemi in those cases. I think in the dojo we train in various scenarios, some are more for martial principles, others not so much. In general, if we do a one hand push from a wrist grab, we move slightly offline so that we don't get hit. I've seen this in the yoshinkan, in Shirata Sensei's linneage, and in other martial arts. There are times though when its not the focus of the movement/principal, so not stressed as much.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Location: Midland Tx
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 659
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

We tend to start shomenuchi from grakyu hanmi, and tsuki from ai-hanmi.....
but then we work on starting "wrong-footed" too as part of it all.
As said before And better) it doesn't matter when you get more advanced.
Still matter too much to me tho.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:22 AM   #7
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 643
Israel
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

No single stance, Shomen Uchi comes from the sword attack, and in the sword work, one could find both options,. Hence we practice both options. I believe the more common attack would be from ai hanmi, but mae and timing may change that attack.

As for tsuki , we normally practice Karate punches, beginners mostly focus on the Ouzuki - a long punch which requires changing legs, but the more advanced students practice both Gyakuzuki (shorter reverse punch - no change of stance while stepping forward) and with a Jab (sorry, I just forgot the Karate name).

In all options we will show beginners the more convenient stance for the technique practiced (some techniques are easier from Ai Hanmi other from Gyaku Hanmi) but the advanced students are encouraged to try the other option as well.


Amir
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:19 AM   #8
kokyu
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 283
Hong Kong
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote:
No single stance, Shomen Uchi comes from the sword attack, and in the sword work, one could find both options,. Hence we practice both options. I believe the more common attack would be from ai hanmi, but mae and timing may change that attack.
Amir
You are right... I think from a defense perspective, standing in ai hanmi is safer - both for uke and nage as they are standing "outside" to "outside" - which is probably why attacks are commonly from ai hanmi.

But for practice sake, I'll start insisting (if possible) that my uke switch stances just to liven things up

Just wondering about this because when I train at different dojos, the "typical" hanmi for shomenuchi and tsuki are not the same - and some ukes are very insistent that you stand in the "typical" hanmi before they start attacking I thought there would be some universal agreement on this basic issue...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:16 AM   #9
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 643
Israel
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

Quote:
But for practice sake, I'll start insisting (if possible) that my uke switch stances just to liven things up
You can switch the stance as Tori after Uke has decided on his own stance. Sometimes it is important to notice the position Uke believes will be best for his attack.

Amir
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #10
csinca
 
csinca's Avatar
Dojo: Various
Location: Southern California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 66
United_States
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote:
You can switch the stance as Tori after Uke has decided on his own stance. Sometimes it is important to notice the position Uke believes will be best for his attack.

Amir
I agree that it makes more sense as Tori to switch stances rather than insisting that Uke attack a certain way. Learn to move your own feet, don't rely on being able to give verbal commands to your attacker.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:46 PM   #11
tarik
 
tarik's Avatar
Dojo: Iwae Dojo
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 516
United_States
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned shizentai.

Gyaku vs. ai hanmi is just a convention for learning. Eventually it doesn't matter and you should be able to adjust instantly.

Numerous senior instructors have admonished me, particlarly after reaching shodan, to use shizentai more often. More neutral and flexible.

Tarik

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #12
samurai_kenshin
 
samurai_kenshin's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
Location: Oakland, Ca
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 209
United_States
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote:
Having trained in dojos in several countries, I have noticed that different dojos have different "standard" hanmi when it comes to shomeunchi and tsuki.

For example, in one dojo, uke and nage would normally stand in gyaku hanmi before uke attacks. So, if nage's left foot is forward, uke's right foot would be forward. Uke would then attack by stepping forward with his left leg and striking with his left arm.

In other dojos, uke and nage would normally stand in ai hanmi before uke attacks. So, if nage's left foot is forward, uke's left foot would also be forward. Uke would then attack off his left foot and arm - the right leg does not step in front of the left.

From what I understand, standing in gyaku hanmi is dangerous because uke or nage can kick each other even before the "main" attack. Of course, in jiyu waza, randori, or even outside the dojo, people aren't going to adjust their hanmi before attacking.

But I AM curious and was wondering what hanmi you tend to adopt for shomenuchi and tsuki in your dojo and why?

Please share your thoughts
It's funny you mention hanme right after my own died *cries* it won't work anymore*cries*...Anyway your hanme depends partly on your preferance and partly on your sensei's/style's general rule.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
-Barry LePatner
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:34 AM   #13
kokyu
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 283
Hong Kong
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote:
I find it interesting that no one has mentioned shizentai.

Gyaku vs. ai hanmi is just a convention for learning. Eventually it doesn't matter and you should be able to adjust instantly.

Numerous senior instructors have admonished me, particlarly after reaching shodan, to use shizentai more often. More neutral and flexible.

Tarik
That's interesting. Maybe I'll try that next time. One thing with shizentai (from the photos I've seen at the Aikido World Journal) is that the arms are at the side, so it seems to take slightly longer to extend them in raised kokyu. Also, in hanmi, the hands more closely approximate the holding of a sword. But yes, shizentai is a more natural way of standing in public and moving comfortably from that position is important.

Quote:
Amir wrote:
You can switch the stance as Tori after Uke has decided on his own stance. Sometimes it is important to notice the position Uke believes will be best for his attack.
Quote:
Chris wrote:
I agree that it makes more sense as Tori to switch stances rather than insisting that Uke attack a certain way. Learn to move your own feet, don't rely on being able to give verbal commands to your attacker.
I'll remember that. Thanks for the tip
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:08 AM   #14
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
Location: Bristol
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 638
England
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote:
Gyaku vs. ai hanmi is just a convention for learning. Eventually it doesn't matter and you should be able to adjust instantly.

Tarik
Spot on!

If you want to make the training easier...and simplify the learning process then use a stance where tori and uke both step prior to execution of chosen excercise.

As the standard improves the stance can be tailored to speed up the attack and response of tori and uke.

Ultimately there is no stance...unless you can stop people and say don't attack me yet...I've not got my stance ready!.

For this reason switching stance is ok for learning specifics ...but not really possible where the attack is with intent. Better to be able to respond with something regardless of how you stood.

Just my thoughts

D
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:46 AM   #15
jonreading
 
jonreading's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 870
United_States
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

To answer the original question, our dojo uses a preferred stance that depends on the technique. For example, I promote footwork to facilitate the movement principle (i.e. irrimi or tenkan) of the technique.

When a student practices shomenuchi ikkyo urawaza, we begin in gyaku hanmi (nage - left foot forward; uke - right foot forward). When uke strikes shomenuchi by taking a step, nage can more easily move to the outside using a tenkan movement without stepping.

Conversely, to perform shomenuchi ikkyo omotewaza, we begin in ai hanmi (nage - left foot forward; uke - left foot forward). When uke strikes shomenuchi by taking a step, nage can more easily move to the inside using a tsugi ashi movement without stepping.

Essentially, we coordinate early movement to minimize confusing footwork. Our early movement focuses on irrimi and tenkan principles, and we use tsugi ashi movement to create distance and timing. Later on, we incorporate ayumi ashi movement to create distance and timing (this is when initail stance becomes irrelevant). Only after students become comfortable with the basic four steps (ayumi ashi, tsugi ashi, ten kan, ten kai) do we encourage them to explore shizentai.

Many dojo follow similar protocol to reduce confusion for new students. It becomes easier for students to learn ashi sabaki when they do not have to concentrate so hard on whan the instructor's feet are doing. To my knowledge, there is not a right/wrong way, as long as it's consistent.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:32 AM   #16
kokyu
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 283
Hong Kong
Offline
Re: Hanmi for attack

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote:
Essentially, we coordinate early movement to minimize confusing footwork. Our early movement focuses on irrimi and tenkan principles, and we use tsugi ashi movement to create distance and timing. Later on, we incorporate ayumi ashi movement to create distance and timing (this is when initail stance becomes irrelevant). Only after students become comfortable with the basic four steps (ayumi ashi, tsugi ashi, ten kan, ten kai) do we encourage them to explore shizentai.
Your description of "stages" in stance/movement training is very interesting. To be honest, it's the first time I've heard of such a thing. Actually, I'm envious
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Testing requirements kyu levels arjandevries Testing 10 08-07-2006 08:26 PM
Hanmi - о положениях ног в айкидо. Paberu Russian 24 10-10-2005 05:06 AM
Suwariwaza & Hanmi Han Dachi MJ* General 2 09-26-2000 03:44 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate