Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-29-2005, 09:21 AM   #26
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: What would you have said??????

Newbies to martial arts are FILLED with mis-information. Before I started training over 3 years ago, here is what I "knew":

1) Black belts were totally "bad a$$" at kicking butt.
2) Black belt martial artists have to register with the local police department as they're hands are "lethal weapons."
3) For a person to be a black belt, meant they could take ANY layperson in a fight, armed or unarmed.
4) Black belts had SOME form of ESP. Their senses were heightened beyond that of "normal" people.
5) Training hard, faster, more hours... even total dedication night and day, was best to train up to black belt... and would get you rank faster.
6) All martial arts have "secrets" that only the instructors and masters know... and will not teach to their students until they reach shodan... then you get the secrets!

SO... think about who you are talking to and be sure to give them the truth... and make sure they KNOW it is the truth!

Old 04-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #27
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

I usually state the "average" time as 5-7 years, which is what seems to be true.

I understand the point of the above mentioned parable, but it's just an exam and if you study hard and focus on it's primary content it takes less time before you are prepared to pass, assuming the exam is fairly standardized and not an "off the top of sensei's head" kind of thing.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:14 PM   #28
bryce_montgomery

United_States

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
Newbies to martial arts are FILLED with mis-information. Before I started training over 3 years ago, here is what I "knew":

2) Black belt martial artists have to register with the local police department as they're hands are "lethal weapons."
3) For a person to be a black belt, meant they could take ANY layperson in a fight, armed or unarmed.
4) Black belts had SOME form of ESP. Their senses were heightened beyond that of "normal" people.
5) Training hard, faster, more hours... even total dedication night and day, was best to train up to black belt... and would get you rank faster.
6) All martial arts have "secrets" that only the instructors and masters know... and will not teach to their students until they reach shodan... then you get the secrets!

SO... think about who you are talking to and be sure to give them the truth... and make sure they KNOW it is the truth!
You know what's bad...I know some black belts in Tae Kwon Do that still think all of those things...and use pretty much the same terminology too!...

Bryce
Old 04-29-2005, 11:25 PM   #29
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Richard Player wrote:
"master i am confused.... Each time i promise more effort and time, yet it takes me longer to get what i seek. Why is this?"

The sword master takes a sip of tea and replies-
"because, the longer you look at the path, the less time you take to look at your destination. not to look where you are going will get you lost and confused. Focusing on the destination will allow you to make your way safely and swiftly"
Interesting. When I first heard this the final reply was that the more you look into the art the more there is to see and learn and the longer it will take to get to the goal. But you will be a better shodan for the longer journey.

The meaning at the time for me was to describe/account for the different "levels in understanding" of shodan...meaning one level for those who train once a week, one for those who train a couple of times a week, one for those who train kenshusei, one for those who are uchideshi. etc.

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 04-30-2005, 03:01 AM   #30
big old smiler
Dojo: dynamic aikido noquet
United Kingdom

hi, thanks for the replies but that is saying that it is all about getting a black belt. All very well looking at the destination but personally I think you also have to have your head in the now. Think ahead but be aware of where you are at, the perfect combination.

cheers lads

Old 04-30-2005, 06:39 AM   #31
Berney Fulcher
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

Quote:
The meaning at the time for me was to describe/account for the different "levels in understanding" of shodan...meaning one level for those who train once a week, one for those who train a couple of times a week, one for those who train kenshusei, one for those who are uchideshi. etc.
Michael's answer to the story seems to me to hit the nail on the head, I liked it
Old 05-02-2005, 10:14 AM   #32
djalley
United_States

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:

Nice! I thought this was very funny. One thing though, I think in comparison to the average person, higher ranks do have abilities that novices/untrained people think are "magical". It is because these feats are beyond their ability. They've never seen someone punch through a bunch of boards, jump a 15 foot distance and kick the target before landing, or throw 5 people off you in an attack. With training these things can be done successfully.

Once you're high level, you take these feats for granted as you train in them all the time. With your heightened understanding of the arts, you know how much you still have to learn. Your more experienced awareness tells you how much you DON'T know, thus you are more humble and honest about your art.

I was watching a Discovery Channel documentary on the US Navy SEAL teams. One of the officers said the line "It's not that we're so good, it's just that everyone else sucks." This line stuck with me because here is someone belonging to an elite military organization who quite literally is capable of astounding feats of aggression, stealth, strength, accuracy, etc etc etc. To a layman, they might as well be magical. To him, though, he knew how much he knew, and more importantly, DIDN'T know, and thus continuously trained and improved.

To me, that's what a black belt's attitude should be.

D
Old 05-06-2005, 10:06 AM   #33
Justin Gaar
Dojo: Aikido Academy Of Self Defense
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: What would you have said??????

Such a question from a newer student, for me anyway, would warrant an honest answer. Therefore to be simple I agree with david 100%. Tell the student that a "black belt" is nothing more then what that one person said: "To hold up your pants" A belt is no indication of your character or your ability to practice aikido. A belt is indication of your experience in it though. Tell him to try not to worry about the color of the belt as much as the his honest dedication to the art. If seniority or an ego trip is what he's looking for then he should go into karate. hehehe. Aikido takes time and effort to practice. One must be patient, and not try and act like a dan when all they're capable of AT THE MOMENT is their current belt. Tell them they grow first. A plant does not sprout to full height the same day it was planted.
Good Luck,
Justin Gaar

BTW I have nothing against karate, i just think aikidos better.

If you arrest a mime, do you have tell him he has the right to remain silent?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #34
samurai_kenshin

Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
United_States

I'd just give 'em the ol "Less chat, More mat" speech!

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
-Barry LePatner