Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
Pete_Myers
finding my way back....

I was a student of Aikido for over five years in Boulder. I had the privilege of studying under Ikeda Sensei and Tres Hoffmeister Sensei. But when changes were made to training schedules I was upset, but kept training because I loved my art. I trained under so many other Sensei, but felt as though something was missing. My background prior to aikido, was all full contact mixed style fighting. I had grown tired of broken toes and sore hands and was in need of some peace within myself. I began to question what was being taught by some of the instructors, this was my problem, not theirs. And then just as I was teetering on the edge of taking some time off, someone very dear to me and my training in aikido, passed away. Debbie Kranzler Sensei was my first instructor in aikido, she was my toughest critic and biggest fan. Her death crushed me, I was done. I left the dojo the day of her memorial service and never returned. I went on to play semi-pro football for two seasons, maybe I was testing my own mortality?

I have since moved to Austin, Tx and am starting to miss the feeling of being on the mat. I left the dojo after passing my Ikkyu test and feel as though I sold myself short. There was a sense of family in the Boulder dojo, I do miss so many of those folks I spent so many nights sweating and training so hard with...

Do I owe the Sensei of my new dojo any explanation of why I left?

Peace,

Pete
Old 03-27-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: finding my way back....

Quote:
Pete Myers wrote:
Do I owe the Sensei of my new dojo any explanation of why I left?
Hi, Pete.
Wow. Heck of a saga.
I'd say no, not "owe". You enter as a new student, one with some prior experience, but unless you think your actual training is going to be perceptablly remarkable to others on account of your history, why would it be relevent right off the bat?
Seems to me that it's more the kind of thing you talk about after training over beer at some point....
unless of course your dojo in Austin is Ross Robertson's in which case he may be reading this !

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #3
akiy

Re: finding my way back....

Hi Pete,

Nice to see you here again. Hope you're doing well.

As far as introducing yourself to the folks at your new dojo, I agree with Janet that I don't think you "owe" it to them, but then again, I think it may give them a chance to know you better and understand where you're coming from. Of course, it's all up to you in the end...

I'm glad you're thinking of getting back to aikido. I'm sure Debbie would be happy, too.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com