Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
malsmith
Dojo: Masters of Aikido in Fogelsville
United_States
cant stop thinking of aikido

i think i might have a problem, i just can not stop thinking about aikido. all of my friends make fun of me and even tell me to just shut up sometimes becuase i just talk about aikido, my dojo, my classmates, my shihan, the latest thing i did at class.... the list goes on. and i cant concentrate in school or on homework or anywhere else cause i just look at people and picture me doing techniques on them in my head!

any comments or suggestions? i seriously have to stop... i mean i want to think about aikido but only when its appropriate to do so.

Old 03-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Re: cant stop thinking of aikido

Heh... this is familiar territory.

How long have you been doing Aikido? The reason I ask is that this sounds like the symptoms of the infatuation that comes with new love. If you are within your first few months of practice, I think it's pretty normal. Trust me, it will wane, but in the meantime, use your energy in a positive way. When I was experiencing the same infatuation (my first year or so), I wrote long journals about my experiences in class, describing techniques, writing out what I did well, what I needed to work on, etc. This focused my energy into a specific medium so I was better able to move my attention to other things when appropriate (and necessary). Journaling may not be your thing, but you can probably find another medium similar to focus your extra aiki-energy.

Take comfort in knowing you're not the only one.

Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein
Old 03-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
malsmith
United_States

hey journaling is a pretty good idea! and that is comforting that im not the only one, i have been training for about eight months and i train with one of my best girl friends and she never feels the same way i do so its weird...
but i geuss ill better soon!
thanks a bunch!
Old 03-12-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I usually go to bed at night or medidate a few minutes (day dream???) about techniques that I am working on perfecting. That is pretty much a daily thing. I can certainly relate to being consumed by something new and exciting. In the long run, you will probably find that balance and moderation is a good thing. I have the misfortune of not being able to study with more advance people because of where I am stationed with the Army right now...but find it is not all lost as I have lots of time to work on things by myself and mentally. I think it is important to think about it outside of the dojo. Good luck finding the sweet spot between reason and insanity...still searching myself!
Old 03-12-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Mal Smith wrote:
i think i might have a problem, i just can not stop thinking about aikido. all of my friends make fun of me and even tell me to just shut up sometimes becuase i just talk about aikido, my dojo, my classmates, my shihan, the latest thing i did at class.... the list goes on. and i cant concentrate in school or on homework or anywhere else cause i just look at people and picture me doing techniques on them in my head!

any comments or suggestions? i seriously have to stop... i mean i want to think about aikido but only when its appropriate to do so.

Wow. Great responses.

I was gonna say something about you ending up an aikido genius or burnout. "sounds like the symptoms of the infatuation that comes with new love" and "Good luck finding the sweet spot between reason and insanity" cover it pretty well...

Enjoy.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 03-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
malsmith
United_States

wow i hope im a genius and never become a burnout!!!

well maybe not a genius but something better than a burnout!
Old 03-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
Karen King
Dojo: Albuquerque Aikikai

You know, a few years back when I first started Aikido I was staring out the window at work thinking about my latest Aikido class. One of my co-workers said, "You look like you're in love." I realized at that point that they were right. The only other time in my life that I felt that goofy good feeling was when I was infatuated with someone. I'm thinking maybe thousands of people all over the world have had the same experience...that falling in love with Aikido thing. I'm guessing the various Shihans had that same experience maybe. Thats kinda cool to think about anyway.
As I recall, I did start to make my non-Aikido friends a little crazy with all my Aikido talk. One of my friends even suggested I might be a little addicted.... I could do a lot worse as addictions go. I did learn to tone down the Aikido talk, you gotta respect where people are coming from, be with them in the moment and all that (that can be Aikidolike too). Enjoy the ride. Go be uchideshi or kenshusei if you can get away with it. I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Life is short, intensity is sweet.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #8
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

Karen, that was really cool. You should post more.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #9
malsmith
United_States

yeah i geuss practicing aikido is a lot like being in love!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:49 AM   #10
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

We recently had a visitor from the Netherlands come to train with us. I met him for the first time last night, he said "I've been practicing Aikido for 4 years now, almost exactly, actually, I fell in love with AIkido...." .

As for thinking about Aikido, I spend at least 3 hours in the car each day driving to and from work, Aikido is often in my thoughts there. When I sit in meetings at work, it only takes about 5 minutes before the brain wonders off to Aikido (better be careful, I've got my appraisal this week ). At home, my wife will often look at me abd say "your thinking about Aikido aren't you", apparently I get a "look" on my face .

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-15-2005, 01:59 AM   #11
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Mal Smith wrote:
yeah i geuss practicing aikido is a lot like being in love!
Hmmm....I guess the true test would be to decide whether you would rather practice A) "Aikido" or B) "Love"

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 03-15-2005, 03:23 AM   #12
batemanb

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
Hmmm....I guess the true test would be to decide whether you would rather practice A) "Aikido" or B) "Love"

Hey, I think I'd rather practice Aikilove, after all, isn't that what's it's all supposed to be about

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 AM   #13
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
At home, my wife will often look at me abd say "your thinking about Aikido aren't you", apparently I get a "look" on my face .

rgds

Bryan
You are not alone Brian!!

Why do they take it so personally...I did this when we met so she's had 12 years to get used to my drifting away...and also my spontaneous irimi / tenkans when I'm supposed to be washing up!
Old 03-15-2005, 03:37 AM   #14
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:

Why do they take it so personally...I did this when we met so she's had 12 years to get used to my drifting away...and also my spontaneous irimi / tenkans when I'm supposed to be washing up!
I used to practice suriashi in the supermarket pushing the shopping cart. My girlfriend at the time stopped shopping with me

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 03-15-2005, 03:46 AM   #15
batemanb

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:

On our wedding day, my wife was asked a question and stated that she would like me to stop training so much. My wife is now practicing Aikido too (although we don't practice in the same class due to kiddy sitting duties ) . She'll come up to me in the lounge and say, in keiko we did this.... what do you think, as I unwittingly become uke for some nikkyo or other ?

rgds

Bryan

Old 03-15-2005, 03:56 AM   #16
Dazzler
England

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
we don't practice in the same class due to kiddy sitting duties ) .
I'm just waiting for my little girl to be old enough to take childrens classes! I can get a saturday morning practice in AND get some brownie points for giving the missus some space...

Fair play on converting yours to aiki....mine stopped practicing when she moved south....so anything I do never is never as good or as hard as when she did it in the grim north!

Cheers

D
Old 03-15-2005, 03:57 AM   #17
Dazzler
England

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
I used to practice suriashi in the supermarket pushing the shopping cart. My girlfriend at the time stopped shopping with me

--Michael
Obviously with an attitude problem like that she just had to go!
Old 03-15-2005, 04:14 AM   #18
batemanb

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:

--Michael
Well rid mate, well rid

Old 03-15-2005, 04:16 AM   #19
batemanb

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
I'm just waiting for my little girl to be old enough to take childrens classes! I can get a saturday morning practice in AND get some brownie points for giving the missus some space...

Fair play on converting yours to aiki....mine stopped practicing when she moved south....so anything I do never is never as good or as hard as when she did it in the grim north!

Cheers

D
Have also managed to convert my 16 year old, he's stuck with it for 10 months now . My 4 year old wants to do it too, but has to make do with lessons in the lounge, I don' take them until 7 in my junior class . Still, get to practice at home too

Old 04-06-2005, 05:05 PM   #20
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

Quote:
Karen King wrote:
One of my friends even suggested I might be a little addicted.... I could do a lot worse as addictions go.
The problem comes when the time at the dojo seems more important than anything else, like studying for that organic chemistry exam .

-LK
Old 04-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #21
Karen King
Dojo: Albuquerque Aikikai

You know, around the time that I stopped obsessing about Aikido so much, I had not one but two senseis tell me that my Aikido had made some sort of leap, some sort of major improvement. Did my obsessing hold me back...or was it like some sort of dam that just stored energy until I could release it? I still train a lot and think about aspects of my training...I'm just not obsessed with it, I don't worry about how good I am, for instance, ( I know I have a long road to travel, and I'm o.k. with that) (plus I'm no spring chicken and I'm getting acquainted with the limitations of time and not being the healthiest granola chick in the world). Shibata Sensei, who does seminars at our dojo periodically, has said "Just Train"...kind of an answer to all that silliness.
Its nice that Aikido is still an important part of my life without being all encompassing. I'm not sorry that I went through the obsessing stage...it was fun (mostly)...all a part of the process. But yeah, you gotta make sure the rest of your life is on track (like organic chemistry exams), because Aikido probably ain't gonna pay the bills (unless you want to try being a sensei and even then...) and it certainly won't keep you warm at night.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:54 PM   #22
NixNa

The last thing u wan is one of ur pals shuttin you up with a k.o punch. LOL j/k
Old 04-27-2005, 10:22 PM   #23
bryce_montgomery

United_States

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:

Heh, I've found myself explaining things to my girlfriend about aikido (and end up confusing her) and then when I get out on the mats and such, she says I become this completely different person because I get completely calm and serious about practice and all...she says I get this "teaching" voice that she finds "sexy" when I do it...so I guess that's a good thing right?

Bryce
Old 05-03-2005, 03:59 PM   #24
theflyingheadbuttsuplex
Dojo: Aikido Institute Davis
United_States
Cool Re: cant stop thinking of aikido

i kind of think about aikido alot more than i should, but i dont do anything that has to do with a shopping cart but seriously mikerus, way to practice aikido outside the dojo
Old 05-04-2005, 01:37 AM   #25
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Quote:
Karen King wrote:
As I recall, I did start to make my non-Aikido friends a little crazy with all my Aikido talk. One of my friends even suggested I might be a little addicted....
Hehe, I know what you mean. I remember this one weekend seminar at our home dojo, and I was practicing with a fellow aikidoka from my club. We were doing some kind of kokyo nage and I said to him: "Oh, I remember now, we did the same technique last weekend in Berlin!" (my husband and I live in the south of Germany, some 700 kms away from Berlin). He smiled and replied: "You know, you guys donīt actually come across as people who donīt have any friends..."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!