Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-10-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Dungeons & Dragons gives you a weak mind

ARTICLE

What say our military friends on AikiWeb?

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-10-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Re: Dungeons & Dragons gives you a weak mind

I'm not a mil-spec unit, but I'd say they are conter-programming against having a soldier with a good imagination and a functioning creative mind. Are all role-playing gamers suspect, or only D&D? There are hundreds of RPG's out there, and probably a billion RPG players. Sounds like a knee-jerk test that proves nothing

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 03-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Agreed. I figure for them having a "weak personality" equates to having the ability to see something from somebody elses point of view. At least that's what I'm going to tell myself

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-11-2005, 02:48 AM   #4
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

A while back (Columbine shoot times...) there was a list done by the FBI of dangerous singes. Myself and all my friends looked at it and laughed. We were all way up there inside the "dangerous psychopaths with Spider Jerusalem tendencies...."

I've yet to see a decent study done on role playing, especially from the mathematical game theory point of view. Then again, maybe I should do it myself now that I have no job...

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-11-2005, 02:56 AM   #5
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

There have been some psychological studies around the net. I can't say anything about the quality of those, but the general conclusion was, that role players are not different from other people, except that there is a tendency that they tend to have slightly above average stable personality and tend to have better social abilities.
Of course, if you already have an instable personality, the effects of LARP and RPGs can be dangerous. It is a form of flight from reality, as is reading a book, wantching a film, going to the opera etc. But the latter are not interactive, in contrast to RPG and especially LARP.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

U.S. has a comprehensive screening process for elite units that takes many things into account. While I don't think anyone is after D&D players, On average that your average Special Operations operater would tend to be someone who played team sports in high school than D&D. I have played before, but never got into it...too involved to hold my imagination, then again I like to jump out of perfectly good airplanes so where's the sanity in that.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
Huker
Canada

I can't see a problem for the military as long as the soldiers who do play don't start trying to cast level 10 magic missile at enemy troops during an attack.

The article sounds pretty closed-minded to me. Sure, a military wants some nice killbots who can only take orders, but where's the harm in being able to think your way out of a problem? Or is it the thinking part that bothers them?

I know a lot of people who play and none of them are Israeli soldiers...is there some kind of correlation there?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:58 PM   #8
Charlie

JEEEZ, I see RPG written in the posts and my Marine Corps training had me looking for Rocket Propelled Granades....TAKE COVER!

Charles Burmeister
Aikido Yoshinkan Yoseikai

"Calmness is trust in action"
Old 03-16-2005, 02:19 AM   #9
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Tanner, a level 10 magic missile is called a law. It's quiet effective. *grins evilly*

Meanwhile, I'll take my fireball throwing staff (read: grenade launcher) and continue to pepper the orcs (read: enemies).

What are those two men doing in my house? Why are they carrying a long sleeved shirt?...

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-16-2005, 02:39 AM   #10
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

Quote:
Yann Golanski wrote:
Tanner, a level 10 magic missile is called a law. It's quiet effective. *grins evilly*

Meanwhile, I'll take my fireball throwing staff (read: grenade launcher) and continue to pepper the orcs (read: enemies).

What are those two men doing in my house? Why are they carrying a long sleeved shirt?...
Magic missiles are ok, but fireballs... no, to much collateral damage... I prefer surgical combat magic
Old 03-16-2005, 05:54 AM   #11
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Having read the article in Hebrew, It seems something is missing in the translation. The Israeli army stated it has a problem only with RD&D, those who go out and play. And even then, they send them to psychologists before making a decision.

As one could expect, this article got lots of negative responses once published, and I do hope the army will think about this once again.

Amir
Old 03-16-2005, 07:13 AM   #12
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote:
Having read the article in Hebrew, It seems something is missing in the translation. The Israeli army stated it has a problem only with RD&D, those who go out and play. And even then, they send them to psychologists before making a decision.

As one could expect, this article got lots of negative responses once published, and I do hope the army will think about this once again.

Amir
Joke coming, just a joke

Have you ever heard of an RPG that used a dreidl to assign damage?

"Come on, gimmel!!"

Joke over and excuse the spelling.

Last edited by dan guthrie : 03-16-2005 at 07:15 AM.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!