Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-10-2005, 06:50 AM   #1
Michael Holm
Dojo: Toitsu - Ki & Aikido Dojo,Glx.
Denmark
dojo to visit in Tokyo/Kyoto

From the 26/3 to the 8/4 I will be in Japan, the first week program is full, going to Sendai, Matsushima, Yamagata.
But we will go to Kyoto on the 2/4 - 4/4 and end in Tokyo 4/4 - 8/8.

In Kyoto and Tokyo we - 4 people from my dojo, are tourist So the question is which dojo is a must ?

In Tokyo the plan is to visit Aikikai Hombu dojo and also try to find Kato Sensei's dojo. And of non-aikido stuff visit Apple Store in Ginza, Akihabara and the Asakusa Kannon Temple

I will appreciate any recommendations!

Sorry if this is the wrong "sub-forum" to set up the question.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: dojo to visit in Tokyo/Kyoto

Hi Michael,

From a tourist point of view I HIGHLY recommend going to Tsukiji (Fish Market) some early morning - at least by 6AM - and check out the fish auctions. After that the sushi breakfast at one of the small shops in the market itself is fantastic.

Akihabara is cool. The Ginza Apple Store is ok.

It might also be worth checking out Harajuku and the Meiji Shrine on a Sunday if you happen to be in town then.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me. I've lived here awhile <wry grin>

cheers,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 03-10-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
Michael Holm
Denmark

Thanks Michael,
The Fish Market is now on our "to-go-list"

sincerly
Michael
Old 03-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
Hardware

Dojo: Ronin (sort of...)
Canada

Yeah, I second the fish market suggestion. Actually everything Michael S. said.

For nightlife, head to Roppongi...look for a shooter bar called Geronimo's (it's on the 2nd floor).

Order the Russian Qualude - you may need a fire extinguisher... (literally)
Old 03-11-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
Michael Holm
Denmark

Quote:
Howard Dyke wrote:
For nightlife, head to Roppongi...look for a shooter bar called Geronimo's (it's on the 2nd floor).

Now we are getting somewhere
always nice to have bar recommended

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:14 AM   #6
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Howard Dyke wrote:
Yeah, I second the fish market suggestion. Actually everything Michael S. said.

Hey...what a coincidence. I am going there now

In fact, that bar is about 30m away from my dojo...which is why we end up there almost every Saturday night.

cheers,

--Michael

-

Old 03-11-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
Michael Holm
Denmark

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:

In fact, that bar is about 30m away from my dojo...which is why we end up there almost every Saturday night.

cheers,

--Michael

-
Its sound like we have to visit your dojo (and the bar )
Never been to a Yoshinkan dojo before!

I will PM you

sincerly
Michael
Old 03-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Michael Holm wrote:
Its sound like we have to visit your dojo (and the bar )
Never been to a Yoshinkan dojo before!

I will PM you

sincerly
Michael
In Yoshinkan, one of the most important basics is known as Hiriki no Yosei San...and is often practiced in a bar with a pint in hand.

I look forward to your visit. Both to the dojo and about 30m away from it

cheers,

--Michael

Old 03-15-2005, 12:33 AM   #9
Kevin
Dojo: Aiki Zenshin Dojo, Aikido of Fremont
United_States

Hi Michael.

There is this one really nice scenic place I went to in Japan when I was with the exchange program for my school.

Awesome place to go, with temples, and waterfalls, and yeah.

---> Nikko <---

or was it spelled Niko...

Yeah.

-Kevin
Old 03-15-2005, 02:51 AM   #10
Michael Holm
Denmark

Quote:
Kevin Bui wrote:
Hi Michael.

There is this one really nice scenic place I went to in Japan when I was with the exchange program for my school.

Awesome place to go, with temples, and waterfalls, and yeah.

---> Nikko <---

or was it spelled Niko...

Yeah.

-Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Thank you.

Where is it located in Tokyo or Kyoto ?

sincerely
Michael
Old 03-15-2005, 02:58 AM   #11
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Nikko is fantastic but it is a two and a half hour train ride from Tokyo station. Still very much worth the day trip.

http://www.city.nikko.tochigi.jp/her...lish/w_top.htm

http://www.hyperdia.com/ for JR times.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-15-2005, 03:10 AM   #12
Ian Upstone
Smile Re: dojo to visit in Tokyo/Kyoto

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:

cheers,

--Michael

-
Sounds familiar!
Old 03-15-2005, 03:22 AM   #13
Gustaf Rydevik
Dojo: Uppsala Aikikai

Too much stuff to see in Kyoto to mention everything...

Tetsugaku no michi (philosophers walk) Is great (though crowded) during cherry blossom time. And ginkakuji-dera right next to it aintt too bad either.

Nishiki food market (parallell to sanjo-dori and about 30 meters above) is great for a major food shock. Also aritsugi at the end of that street have some of the best kitchen knives you'll ever see.

Arashiyama is a very nice area with loads of tempels and bamboo forest. you can travel down the river on a raft-like thing there as well, which looks like fun.

Fushimi-inari is very cool to visit. About 30 000 red tori standing neck to neck, forming long korridors you can walk in for two-three hours.

Gion of course.
Kiomizu-dera.
Ponto-cho has loads of bars and restaurants and most won't blow your budget too much (though some definitely will). Sitting on the platforms over the river and eating a nice sushi/kaiseki/yakitori/... dinner is definitely likeable.

Concerning aikido dojo's, I trained at the Kyoto Budo Center. Big building with lots of different buo going on, and the oldest martial art dojo in japan standing outside. Aikido training is on mondays and thursdays 18:30-20:30, and saturdays from 9:30 am.
The center is in the same block as Heian jingu, on the north-west corner. So just walk along the street, going around Heian jingu and you'll find it. (Heian jingu is worth visiting for its garden as well)

Have a great time!
Theme: Other
Old 03-15-2005, 05:50 AM   #14
Michael Holm
Denmark

Hi Gustaf,

Thank you very much for your in-depth descriptions! we will certainly make use of your travel guide!! Great with all the input - Looking more and more forward to going there - countdown -10 days

-Michael
Old 03-15-2005, 05:53 AM   #15
Michael Holm
Denmark

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
Nikko is fantastic but it is a two and a half hour train ride from Tokyo station. Still very much worth the day trip.

http://www.city.nikko.tochigi.jp/her...lish/w_top.htm

http://www.hyperdia.com/ for JR times.
Thanks for the links!

Its look like a great place to visit !!

- Michael
Old 03-15-2005, 06:28 AM   #16
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Personally, I love Kyoto. I lived in Arashiyama for 3 months one summer and spent a lot of time walking around the city. I don't recommend you walking from the main Kyoto JR station to Arashiyama though. I did it on my own without a map, it's a bloody long way, especially since you will only be there for 3 days .

Arashiyama is a lovely place to visit, Tenryuji is one of my favourite temples in the whole of Japan, and walking around the bamboo forests there is a lot of fun. There are some nice little pottery and bamboo shops dotted around the woods. There's also easy access to Kinkakuji and Ryoanji from there, along with Ninnaji (all 3 are pretty much next door to each other along the same stretch of road). I went cherry blossom viewing at Ninnaji last year, about the same time you are going, it was absolutely amazing, I have never seen so much cherry blossom (not my pic but I have some just like it http://www.ab.cyberhome.ne.jp/~asano...i/phnjskt2.jpg)

Other places that are equal sightseeing musts, Kiyomizudera (drink from one of the fountains to gain health, wealth or knowledge. Walk from one stone to the other with your eyes closed to find true love), Ginkakuji, Sanjusangendo (hall of 1001 golden Buddhas - quite breathtaking, and where one of Musashi's famous duels took place), Heian Jingu (beautiful garden as seen in Lost in Translation), and Nijo jo (home of the Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu).

Given your short time in Kyoto, you should plan to cram as much in during your stay as possible. If you're not on a guided tour, depending on language ability, you could arrange a daily fee with a taxi driver at the main station, they will then ferry you around for the whole day, waiting for you whilst you visit each place before taking you on to the next one. Most of the places that I listed are located in two or three areas, so you can plan to visit 2 or 3 places at time bfore driving across the city, which can take a while. I'm sure you've already got maps and such, but here's a useful one that you can click on to get more details of each area http://www.ab.cyberhome.ne.jp/~asano...l/kyotomap.htm .

Feel free to PM me with any further question. Have a good trip.

Regards

Bryan

Last edited by batemanb : 03-15-2005 at 06:41 AM.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #17
Michael Holm
Denmark

Hi Bryan,

Thank you very much for all your infomation! Kiyomizudera & Sanjusangendo is now on mine to-do list

Did you train aikido while you where there ?

-michael
Old 03-16-2005, 08:16 AM   #18
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Hi Michael,

I do train while I'm there, but not in Kyoto. I train over at an excellent dojo in Kobe with one of Yamaguchi Sensei's students. I didn't chime in with it because of your timeframe, it takes a good hour or more to get to Kobe (depending on where you're staying and which train line you use). The best keiko at 7:00 weekdays , or 9:00 on Saturdays, all with Nakao Sensei. If you want further details am happy to provide them, but morning keiko Saturday or Sunday will cut at least half of the day away. They do have evening keiko too during the week, but not with Nakao Sensei.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-14-2005, 05:35 AM   #19
Michael Holm
Denmark

hi everybody,

I have just (slowly) started to make a Blog with diary from our trip to Japan in April.
http://homepage.mac.com/kiaikido/iblog/index.html

Right now there is only 3 entries, general, visit to apple store and training with Kato Sensei,
(direct URL: http://tinyurl.com/77bhu )
Under the Kato sensei section there are link to picture gallery and a very interesting interview with him (taken from a Japanese magazine)

Thanks for the good advices from everyone, before going there!

/Michael
http://www.toitsu.dk/
Old 05-18-2005, 08:15 PM   #20
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Duh! Your allready back.

Quote:
Gustaf Rydevik wrote:
Concerning aikido dojo's, I trained at the Kyoto Budo Center. Big building with lots of different buo going on, and the oldest martial art dojo in japan standing outside. Aikido training is on mondays and thursdays 18:30-20:30, and saturdays from 9:30 am.
The center is in the same block as Heian jingu, on the north-west corner. So just walk along the street, going around Heian jingu and you'll find it. (Heian jingu is worth visiting for its garden as well)
Oh...my...GOD!
We stayed at an in just around the corner from there! In fact on one of our evening walks, we stumbled upon the dojo. Could have kicked myself for leaving my gi back in Fukushima. Inn had very reasonable prices, nice Mama-Sans ("Doors close at 10! No come back after 10! Dame! Dame!) If you need more info just ask, I would love to dig up my map.

Right near the Kyoto Tower / Tourist Center (across from the train/bus station) is a high-end shopping mall, which rents 3 speed bikes (I think) $10 a day. Awesome way to see Kyoto. Just awesome. Saw most of the major sights.
And I concur; the Philosophers Walk was stunning.

I spent 3 days there; not enough. Try for a week.
Oh, save some time for the Sega arcade in the "mall" next to the train station!

Last edited by Nick P. : 05-18-2005 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Duh! Your allready back.

Please visit our sponsor:

Cool Rain Productions - Since 1976, the exclusive source for "Aikido in Training" Book/DVD Series