Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-31-2005, 05:15 PM   #76
Alex Watts
United Kingdom
Re: Gay Aikido People? NORTHEN UK

Hi Mort,

I am not sure how to reply to your private mesage. How many gay aikido people train with you? Are they in the club you teach at?

Alex
Old 03-31-2005, 05:21 PM   #77
mj

Quote:
Alex Watts wrote:
I am not sure how to reply to your private mesage....
You would go to his post, put the mouse over his name and left click it.

You get 6 options and you want the 2nd one 'send a private message to...'

Old 04-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #78
Benjim

Dojo: United Kingdom Aikido Union (U.K.A.U)
England

Hi,

I'd just repeat what David Warden and Neil Morton said; I train at the DAN dojo in Newcastle (www.aikidonortheast.com). The Durham training is held by Phil Knight who is an *excellent* aikidoka. One of the things lots of us pride ourselves on, is our open-mindedness, and I'm sure you will see no predjudice at the dojo.

HTH

Ben
Old 04-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #79
gintaiwan
Dojo: Taiwan
Taiwan

Alex,
I'm gay and I started aikido years ago, but have only been actively training for about 8 years total (that is, my training has been interrupted a few times for grad school, etc.). I've never heard anyone say anything really bad about gays, only one or two poor attempts at humor. I'm a moderator for an online glbt group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/GLBTAikido/). We hope to work with IAGLMA (http://iaglma.org/), the group that organizes the martial arts division of the Gay Games (next one is in Chicago in 2006!), and even have a couple glbt aikido seminars. However, things have been going a bit slow. Anyway, you're welcome to sign up as a member. We've got quite a few members so far, and we're always looking to diversify the locations of members (too many Americans so far! [I'm one of them! haha!]). Also, u might be able to find a few others from the UK who can give you more suggestions.

On a personal note, while I'd love to have a bf that does aikido, I'm not out at the dojo. I just like to keep these areas seperate. I have my gay friends, and I have my aikido friends. In a nutshell, I want to keep things simple.

If you have any questions, please feel free to write to me or post them on our bulletin board.

Good luck! I love aikido and hope you will too!

Greg
Old 04-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #80
gintaiwan
Dojo: Taiwan
Taiwan

Alex,

Sorry, minor correction: We HOPE to have a couple glbt aikido seminars.

Greg
Old 04-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #81
oudbruin
Dojo: Independent
United_States
Re: Gay Aikido People?

Saddly, I fear that the MA community is largly homophobic.
While politics have no place on the mat, sometimes, it becomes hard to not "be outted", wether one wants to live by stealth mode or or be OUT- sometimes it's unavoidable.
One of my freinds who is transitional, and was just starting on hormones, stopped going to class when someone remarked about what happened to his body hair and "oh my God, you've got breasts.."
Untill people be come more accepting of the GLBT community.. you're better off using the US Army line- "don't ask and don't tell'..
For me I;m tired of making excuses and appoligising...
That is the reason why I started with aikido in the first place.
As for the Gay community, we have a gay oylimpics and a gay rodeo, and I know several lesbians who hold sandan (or higher) belts in other ma forms.
I used to say I'm from New Jersey Ya gotta problem with that??
You can guess what I say now.
HAVE YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT??
GOOD-confront your own inner demons and than lets talk....
Regards
HBH
Old 04-16-2005, 02:19 PM   #82
Tony Hudspith
Dojo: Hartlepool/Peterlee
United Kingdom

Hi Alex
My name is Tony Hudspith and I belong to the United Kingdom Aikido Union which has classes in your area. Whilst I myself am not gay I know a lot of people in our classes that are gay both men and women. In Aikido there should never be any problem with anyones sexuality. I would recommend that you go to the Gateshead International Stadium as I know a friend of mine, Kevin Price, has a dojo there. Alternatively check out our website for further info at www.aikidonortheast.com
Good luck and if you do start with us say hi on the next course.
Regards

Tony
Old 04-22-2005, 01:10 PM   #83
big old smiler
Dojo: dynamic aikido noquet
United Kingdom

[ I would recommend that you go to the Gateshead International Stadium as I know a friend of mine, Kevin Price, has a dojo there.

That class is no more tony, Kev teaches at alnwick now. Eeeeeee, leading people astray again.

(Unless it has reopened in which case I am talking out of my arse,......again)

Mort
Old 04-23-2005, 12:13 PM   #84
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England

Hi Tony,
Neil is correct. I dont teach at Gateshead any more.
although since I closed the class I have had so many enquiries about it it may be worth getting someone to open it up again.

However, I have been in touch with Alex and let him know where the nearest clubs to him are

catch you on wednesday

Old 11-04-2006, 07:34 AM   #85
Lambdadragon
Dojo: Denver Aikikai
United_States

Thanks for posting your questions and concerns Alex. If you are interested, there is a gay and lesbian aikido forumn known as Niji Aikido which you can access at <http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/GLBTAikido/>. All of the nearly 400 members world-wide belong to a home dojo.

There is one gay Yondan who opened a dojo in the gay and lesbian center in North Carolina, but membership is not restricted to sexual orientation. There are several lesbian and gay aikidoka who own dojos around the world, but once again, none of them restrict membership. Sensei John Chatfield's Stonewall Aikido was mentioned in a prior posting. One of his senior students informed me a couple years ago that he was having health issues and I am not certain that dojo is still open. If you send me an email at <Lambdadragon@aol.com> I'll connect you with my contact.

I have been practicing Aikido since 1998 and have never experienced bigotry in the dojo for my being gay. The topic has never come up on the matt, but many times groups of us will go out to a pub afterwards and it occaisionally will arise in the natural course of discussion. It is never an issue I blurt out, but when people share about their families and ask me about mine, I am never afraid to honestly share who I am with nice people. I am a gay dad, and recently a gay granddad .

I have practiced Aikido in several states and countries...even attending practice with my eldest son at the dojo where he practices in Shanghai.

Another of my Yondan friends just returned from a year at Hombu dojo in Japan. He informed me there are many gay and/or bi Aikidoka. A handful were even Yakuza.

Enjoy practicing Aikido and don't worry about sexual orientation being an issue.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:03 AM   #86
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Bruce Hammell wrote:
Saddly, I fear that the MA community is largly homophobic.
Tsk, tsk. The butchering of the English language again. If someone disapproves of a lifestyle, such as a bohemian one or a spartan military lifestyle, it is not a "phobia". We can disapprove of pedophilia, vegetarianism, and long-distance runners without being a ".....phobe" of any sort. At best, the "....phobe" words used like this are simply "gotcha's" and do nothing to further any constructive dialogue. Besides, we literalists get shudders to language butchered like that. I'm a butcheraphobe.

Mike
Old 11-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #87
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
it is not a "phobia"
With you it seems to be bordering on some kind of obsession, is there something you're trying to tell us Pastor Mike?
(Smiley added to make it look like I'm being friendly. Yours doesn't fool anyone either.)

David at least had something relevant to add to this long-dormant thread.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:41 PM   #88
DonMagee
United_States

I spar with girls in bjj, i supose a gay guy wouldn't be any different, well with the exception of possibly more upper body strenght.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 11-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #89
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Sean Orchard wrote:
With you it seems to be bordering on some kind of obsession, is there something you're trying to tell us Pastor Mike?
(Smiley added to make it look like I'm being friendly. Yours doesn't fool anyone either.)

David at least had something relevant to add to this long-dormant thread.
I'm not trying to "fool" anyone, Shawn. I'm pointing out something that is factually true, aside from the point that calling people who disagree with you names or suggesting that they have a phobia.

But notice how once again, as you've done many times in the past, I made a post that was within the construct of a factual issue and you've turned it into a personal discussion. Are you unable to logically debate an issue? Try to stay on topic, please.

Mike Sigman
Old 11-05-2006, 04:52 AM   #90
Infamousapa
Dojo: Aikido Institute of America
United_States

Oh No.....
And This Whole Time I Just Thought Everyone Was Extra Nice At My Dojo...now We Have Gay Aikido Artist...i Quit..
Old 11-05-2006, 05:15 AM   #91
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Quote:
Alex Watts wrote:
My concern is this: I am gay and while I don't flaunt my sexuality, I do not hide it either. I don't mince around dressed all in pink being camp or anything silly like that, but if someone asks me for example if I have a girlfriend, I will tell them I am gay.
Alex - I'd say that sex and sexuality has nothing to do with the dojo. Often when people start aikido they get embarrassed because of the close physical contact (especially with pins), but this soon wears off as they start to focus on training.

I'd say that aikido is no more pro- or anti- gay than any other type of club; it depends on the people you train with. I doubt whether there are all gay aikido clubs and I would question the motivation of setting up such a club (its like having an all male or all female club). We've had one gay (as far as I'm aware) training with us, and he never hid it; but I'd be suprised if anyone except me even knew or cared.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 11-05-2006, 06:46 AM   #92
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

Gay, Straight, whatever...more people for me to throw around anyway.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #93
MikeLogan

United_States

So one would better serve themselves by openly disapproving, and if need be, disapproving of someone else's disapproval. I guess bigot is a word assigned by the French to the Normans describing the former's disapproval of the latter's intense disapprobation of anyone outside their culture.

Anyway, it seems most of your gripe is language and reason based, Mike. The strict rationing of rationality I very much agree with, but the formation or reformation of language conventions should be kept simple until the actual convention is reached.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #94
psenson
Dojo: Aikido Shugyo Dojo
Canada

Quote:
Alex Watts wrote:

I'd still like to hear from some gay aikido people though.
OK, consider yourself hearing

Actually, it was someone pointing out your posts to me that got me signed up to the forums...My name is Pat, I'm one of the senior students at Shugyo Aikido in Toronto Canada. I'm both gay and completely out at the dojo. Doesn't mean I make anything of it in class, but my partner comes to any dojo parties that we hold, he and I have been known to host a few for that matter.

I treat it the same way any other person treats their spouse or equivalent...if we're changing and talking about our families, mine is fair game for conversation too. I think this is what often gets missed in these discussions (no matter what the forum). Many (not all) straight people forget how many times a day they assert their sexuality (by talking about their relationships...or, in the case of the change room at our dojo when the younger men are around, by talking about the relationships they'd like to have). As a gay man, doing the same thing quickly becomes 'flaunting' ones sexuality.

Having said that, I do find the dojo a fairly accepting place. Of course, only one student there (other than the chief instructor) out ranks me, so I might have a slight advantage over a beginner and any of the junior students who are gay know that the dojo's a pretty safe place to be with me around

Alex, feel free to contact me directly if you want to talk more.

Cheers

Pat (second post ever, and already into politics!)
Old 11-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #95
Guilty Spark

United_States

As with most kids growing up it seems I used to be quite 'anti-gay' for the simple fact that it was just common place. You made fun of gays. This carried over into the army. "gays shouldn't be in the military, bla bla".
One remembrance day drinking with the vets one of our guys made a comment in front of one of the vets, no doubt just trying to fit in. Why should we let gays in the military?
"Because their buried on the beaches of Normandy"
How do you argue with that?

Some guys (and girls) are uncomfortable near gays and I don't hold that against them. It's their business. Who am I to judge how they feel or were brought up. Same goes with race. Some people are uncomfortable near people of different races or culture. Theirs a few cultures I'm very uncomfortable near. I don't hold it against them or consider people less for it. To each their own.

Gays who flaunt their relationship in front of everyone are just as annoying as everyone else who does it. Why do they do it? Same way soldiers, police officers, teachers, DJs and everyone else make sure EVERYONE around them hears and knows what they are or what they do. It's just their way of letting people know.

I love the atmosphere in in Aikido. You can test yourself and challenge yourself without the ego of beating someone or trying to prove your better. Look at Aikiweb and all the drastically different political views.
The dojo is a place people form all walks of life, race, sexual orientation political views and careers can come and be peers. It's silly to think people won't have likes, dislikes & prejudices, just remember to treat them like politics and leave it at the door.

An Aikido dojo to me is a sacred place where humans share something.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 11-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #96
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Really appreciated that post Grant as guess it would get across to more people than the way I would have put it. If you're military or ex you're a credit to the service,
regards
Mark
Old 11-13-2006, 05:07 PM   #97
Guilty Spark

United_States

Thanks Mark!
I've read hate is fear turned inside out and I believe it.

I think many lessons are only learned through pain.
I've looked into the eyes of a man who hated who I was/represented so much, without every having met me, that he killed himself in an attempt to try and harm me and my friends. He also took out half a dozen civilians including children.
Really got me thinking. Learning not to hate people but their actions.

Thats kinda depressing though sorry

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 11-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #98
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote:
Why should we let gays in the military?
"Because they're buried on the beaches of Normandy"
That sure is hard hitting!

Also agree, especially in combat, seeing the hate in someones eyes is often more terrifying and perplexing than knowing what they are going to do. Something hard to replicate in the dojo (though I do try to look as hateful as possible when attacking )

(PS. I corrected the spelling mistake in this version )

Last edited by ian : 11-14-2006 at 07:08 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 05-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #99
Lambdadragon
Dojo: Denver Aikikai
United_States
Cologne/Köln Germany Lesbian & Gay Aikido Seminar

The August 1-2, 2010 Lesbian and Gay Cologne/Köln Germany Aikido Seminar is the brainchild of Clarissa Henke, who has a dojo in Berlin .

Clarissa has rented a dojo in Cologne/Köln Germany to coincide with the 2010 Gay Games . The Aikido seminar will not be part of the Gay Games but will run simultaneously. Niji Aikido members will therefore be able to take advantage of many of the sporting and cultural events of the Gay Games, while at the same time joining their Aikido friends on the mat for two days.

The Games is expecting over 50,000 attendees. I'm not certain how many will be competitors.

The Aikido seminar will include four 1.5 hour sessions each on Sunday and Monday with different instructors for each sessions. If the Gay Games is interested, Niji would also be willing to conduct a special Aikido event/demonstration for the games. The autonomy from the games will allow for planning of Aikido activities without the need to receive either Gay Games or IAGLMA approval.

Clarissa knows many lesbian aikidoka in Germany, Italy, Switzerland and in the Netherlands.

Clarissa is still working on ideas for Cologne and would like to collect names of potential session instructors who would enjoy participating in the Aikido seminar. To keep costs down, those willing to be instructors would also be willing take a smaller than usual fee for the class they teach. She is looking mostly for people
who have a desire to come to the games.

Would you know of someone who would be interested in instructing one of the sessions?

If so, please let either Clarissa or myself know.

David Wilson
デイビッド ビィ ウイルソン
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/GLBTAikido/
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #100
numazu
Australia

I think that dojo's should be sexual orientation free. Anybody and everybody should train together. Everybody has to get a long in society regardless if we really agree with other peoples politcs, beliefs etc. I am against any suggestion of having gay dojo's. That is exclusivity and not in the spirit of mutual cooperation that an aikido dojo should be. More people only hang around with their own kind then society just gets more closed minded.
Train with others and be honest with yourself and with them. Thats all anybody can ask.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!