Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-04-2005, 03:14 AM   #26
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: Aikido Babe ! ( Cartoon )

I didn't think you Yoshinkan boys wore hakamas, let alone pink ones

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-04-2005, 04:07 AM   #27
Chad Scott
Dojo: Hombu Aikikai
Japan

I think it's cool. It would make me want to inquire more about aikido!
Old 03-04-2005, 08:11 AM   #28
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
I didn't think you Yoshinkan boys wore hakamas, let alone pink ones
too funny ...

... guess there's a lot about us Yoshinkan "boys" you don't know.

Old 03-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #29
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

For the original budobabe image by yours truly
http://www.zazzle.com/contributors/p...5189&in dex=5
and here is the budobabe herself
http://www.zanshinart.com/Corsets/JanRen04c.jpg

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #30
jester

United_States

Jarah Al-Tubaikh, Really nice work!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 05:36 PM   #31
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Jarah,

Nice artwork, just realize the word "babe" depending on context may or may not be offensive. If some sleazy boss kept calling me "babe" while inferring some kind of sexual favor or with some sort of intent to demean, then "babe" is offensive. However, there are those of us ladies who refer to ourselves as "babes", it's tone is more in a playful and empowering the feminine side of us. Using "babe" this way is not offensive.

However, the context is all in the way it's said, and if not said correctly can be easily miscontrued. Just think of how you would want your mother or sister be spoken to by a man.

I'm curious, though, why are you using a woman to illustrate aikido? You said to distinguish aikido from other martial arts, but can you explain further?

Last edited by giriasis : 03-04-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 03-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #32
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

OK, here she is, one Authentic, Persian ( I am, 1/4) Budobabe:

http://www.sonic.net/~argyriou/dance...004/Qatana.jpg

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 03-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #33
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Gee Janet, that's the longest hakama I've ever seen.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 03-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #34
NixNa

Geez Jo ... u look u cld kick my ass anytime with those stuffs
Old 03-05-2005, 12:59 AM   #35
unique

Dojo: AIKIDO Kuwait Dojo
Kuwait

Good day all;
Nice art work Jarah, why not post the rest of your work as well.

;^)
Old 03-05-2005, 03:55 AM   #36
Jarah
Dojo: Warrior Academy
Kuwait

thnx for all the people who gave their comments wheather aganist or with the cartoon ... after all art is something that people can explain according to their backgrounds and belives

giriasis : Thnx for u r comment ... u see i made 2 previous cartoons about aikido ... both of them in my web sites and i put them here in separate threads in the forum long time ago ... for this cartoon specifically i used ( Babe ) because i use this word with my female colleagues in work and they take it fine as a feminine word ... like if i say to my male friend ( Hey man ) ... it's an expression ... some people might think of it the wrong way but it's their problem not mine ... the picture doesn't express any sexual gestures ... so Babe here can be understood as just a feminine expression not a sexual one

About using a female to distinguish aikido from other arts ... i mentioned that in our country Karate and Kung Fu are the most famous arts ... no one know aikido ... so i do some illustrations to express the art for the public in a nice way ... I made a cartoonic male character representing our ( Mushin-Do Aikido ) dojo here in Kuwait and i made 2 cartoons using his figure .... now this is my third cartoon but i used Female this time ... and i was so surprised that the female one is the one that got the attention ... so that's why u understood my words as if i was using this one specially to represent aikido ... while it doesn't

here are my previous cartoons just to give u a hint :
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/10709742

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/11624849

thnx for u r comment ... and thnx for all people who shared their thoughts with me .... I'm Honored

Jarah
Old 03-05-2005, 05:04 PM   #37
giriasis
United_States

Jarah,

Thanks for your response. I understand where you're coming from now. It's all very good artwork. I'm impressed. I still draw stick figures. :|

Anne Marie Giri
Old 03-05-2005, 10:47 PM   #38
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote:
Gee Janet, that's the longest hakama I've ever seen.
heheheh. Its a homemade hak. Several yrs ago I took the job of proofing Round Earth Publishing's pattern/instructions, which basically meant making the hak, with copious notes on problems/changes, and then editing the instructions based on my notes. I picked a wonderful but totally unsuitable fabric (an English brushed cotton twill that drapes beautifully but weighs a ton and does NOT repeat NOT hold pleats well) and it is about the right length when wrapped over a belt, but when I brought it out of retirement for the Ren Faire I wore it sans belt.
I will never ever make a Hakama again-wrestling 5 yards of 60" fabric in to pleats is my idea of Purgatory-the giant squid of the garment world--much better are corsets, which are polite 18" lengths of well behaved fabric.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #39
thomas_dixon
United_States

Anyone who thinks "babe" is offensive has lived a sheltered life. "Babe" is a compliment.

If some guy sexually harasses you and calls you "babe" , it still isn't offensive, he is.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:09 PM   #40
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
My favorite Budobabe pic has always been.
LOL! That's cute. Oddly enough, the girl in the drawing looks like a freind of mine whom I haven't seen in years. Although she was quite buxom. She wasn't a martial artist, though.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:19 PM   #41
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Jarah Al-Tubaikh wrote:
hey

this is just another caricature i did for our dojo in Kuwait ( Mushin-Do Aikido ) ... i hope u like it

larger version in this link below

http://jarah.deviantart.com ... click on the image to enlarge

cheers
Jarah
Nice job!
Old 03-06-2005, 09:49 AM   #42
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
More budobabeage

My favorite Budo Babe ...
(Blows kiss at second favorite BB who keeps teasing me with that corset pic)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emsword.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	240  

Old 03-07-2005, 09:01 AM   #43
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Anyone who thinks "babe" is offensive has lived a sheltered life. "Babe" is a compliment.
If anyone things calling a woman babe ISN'T offensive at times has lived a sheltered life. "Babe" is a not a compliment coming from a boss hitting on you. Like I said it's all context. Please do not take my words and twist them so that you can post glib comments. What part of "context" don't you understand?

Quote:
If some guy sexually harasses you and calls you "babe" , it still isn't offensive, he is.
Well actually, he is also a jerk and has no clue to what it means to be a women in the work place. It's borderline sexual harrassment if it's a co-worker and on a lunch break. It's offensive when men go "yo babe, you want want some of this?" It's not boarderline when someone tells me in aikido class "you're one tought babe." That, yes, is a compliment. It's offensive, when a boss says, "yo, babe, get the coffee..." and all the men are referred to as their proper first names and you're not the secretary. It could amount to sexual harrassment if such comments are pervasive enough in the workplace that it makes the woman receiving such comments -- offended.

Like I said, it's all context and the vocal inflections behind the use of the word.

I'm not the PC police here. I was defining a word for a person who does not have English as their primary languge. Jarrah, I'm assuming that your first language is Arabic.

So let's just keep this thread on topic -- Jarrah's artwork and not let this thread degrade into another "gender issue" debate.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 03-07-2005, 09:37 AM   #44
Qatana

Personally I'd rather be "babed" than "ma'am'd"

Q
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 03-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #45
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Yes, Babe. Whatever you say, Babe.

*snicker*

Old 03-08-2005, 07:53 AM   #46
giriasis
United_States

I'd rather be called "Ma'am" than "Babe". I dunno, maybe it's a Southern thing.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 03-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #47
skyetide

Hmm. To give support Anne-Marie…

If calling someone "babe" in certain contexts is offensive, it's offensive. Belittling her further by telling her not to be offended marginalizes her view and borders on being oppressive.

The nature of the cartoon beckons gender issues itself.

Personally, I prefer the term "goddess". No, really, I just want to cut the nails off that buxom eye candy and give her a freakin' sports bra and a hair tie. Come on. Art is powerful. Use your powers for good, not for perpetuating stereotypical idealistic images that no young girl can ever live up to without thousands of dollars of surgery. Sure, I can laugh it all off, roll my eyes at "babe" but then I see young girls every day (I work with teenagers) on the verge of killing themselves to look like these sorts of images. Honestly, it's really scary. Little things do add up….do matter. You are sheltered if you think that they don't. I'd just like to see a more realistic representation, especially if you are using it to advertise the art.

Aikido should be a place where we don't worry about such things as looks. One thing that I love about Aikido is that I can go into the dojo and let go of all but what truly matters. We wear boxy uniforms and we're all gross and sweaty by the end of class. No one worries about what they look like and no one cares how much money you make or how pretty or handsome you are. They just care that you care about aikido and being a good partner. I guess that's why the cartoon disturbs me a bit. It injects materialistic desire…the things that don't really matter in the end back into the thought of aikido when that is exactly what I am trying to let go of.

OK, off my soap box. I know, I know. It's just a cartoon.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #48
Zato Ichi

Quote:
Tonya Woods wrote:
Personally, I prefer the term "goddess".
Why? If I hear the term goddess in reference to a woman, I generally think that the person in question has a rather large ego (if referring to herself) or is infatuated with someone.

Should men, then, be referred to as gods?
Quote:
No, really, I just want to cut the nails off that buxom eye candy and give her a freakin' sports bra and a hair tie. Come on. Art is powerful. Use your powers for good, not for perpetuating stereotypical idealistic images that no young girl can ever live up to without thousands of dollars of surgery.
Let's imagine the reverse: the piece of work in question is no longer of a goddess , but some guy with chisled features, and a well muscled body. He's got his dogi half off like the kyudo guys: still have the same objections? If you want to see things you'd really have trouble with, go read some manga or watch some anime. Hell, North American comics have some of the most exaggerated bodies (both male and female) anywhere.

Secondly: perhaps you can enlighten me as to when artists suddenly became the vanguard for enlightenment? Art defines society, not reflects it?

Finally, what exactly what do you have against buxom eyecandy? Some women are very pretty and have large breasts. Fact of life. Would it be more acceptable if she were unattractive and had an A-cup?
Quote:
Little things do add up….do matter. You are sheltered if you think that they don't.
This is an attack on the artist, not the art.
Quote:
It injects materialistic desire…the things that don't really matter in the end back into the thought of aikido when that is exactly what I am trying to let go of.
So, you're saying that when someone joins Jarah's dojo, all they're going to be thinking is "Dude - where are all the hot chicks?" Give me a break.

BTW Jarah: well done. Good line work, use of whitespace. My only real criticism of the piece would be the use the icons in the corners and the way he figure is centered on the page: the icons seem kinda cheesy to me, and moving the figure slightly off the center of the image area would make it more interesting. All IMHO of course.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #49
Qatana

why must we impose American cultural standards on this poor guy? He is doing more for Kuwaiti aikido than anybody else you can think of. Won't that help to change some attitudes, in Time?

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 03-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #50
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Ah Jo,

Thank you for the voice of reason - particularly from the hub of political correctness. Nicely put!

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!