Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
Al-li Edwards
Dojo: Aikido Center of Savannah (I hope)
United_States
Ai symbol Hello...?

Umm...Hi,

My name is Jessica "Al-li" ("AL-Lee") Edwards, I live in Savannah GA. I am presently a junior in college. I've always had a interest in Martial Arts. I had the opportunity to participate with my (now late) father and my little sister many years ago. As much as I liked it it didn't hold me. I continued my dance lessions and finished out with a total of 11 years. Of course by this time both my father and sister where black belts, had many trophies and certificates, and examples of how it's saved their life to show. I had a...pink tutu, a bag of dance shoes, feet that are always pointing in two different directions (those of you who has ever seen a long term dancer know how this looks) and...toes of steel (From being stepped on by many high heeled tap shoes). *Sigh* Yes...I got teased unmercifully because of my choice by my sister and worried over by my father, who would not have a daughter of his without protection (He was a cop since.....I can't remember when he wasn't ....). I tried...I really did. But something about the art didn't click with me.

I don't know if I'm the only one or not but I, almost instinctively know what I will enjoy and actually be good at (or at least decent). The art my father choose...wasn't it. So, still searching, I entered the art college here and took a year of kickboxing. I enjoyed it...but still wasn't it. I'd pretty much gotten depressed and given up. Then father got sick and I had to balance school with the hospital. About a month ago or so I was walking around downtown and stumbled past a old shop that had closed down. In the window I noticed it mentioned a Akito School that would be opening soon. "Akito?" I thought. "I vaguely remember hearing about that. I wonder if it's any good...?" So I came home got on the Internet and started to read. Then it happened. I found the art I wanted to practice! This forum is what really sucked me in and all the nice people that seemed to frequent the place. I want to be able to add input, but I don't know much ye. I don't feel I can comment on things that I've never experienced. So I wait eagerly for the doors to open so that I may too join in the ranks of those that talk and joke about a art that I find I already love. I hope that I may bring others in with me. My mother seems very interested as well. I'm sorry...I've babbled enough. *Bows* Thank you for allowing me to join this community and reading.

Jessica "Al-li" Edwards

Last edited by Al-li Edwards : 02-21-2005 at 06:33 PM. Reason: misspelling...
Old 02-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Hello...?

Welcome Jessica;

Good dancers take to Aikido quite well.

Just remember - to dance Giselle you must become a 16 year old bundle of naivety. To dance Carmen you must become a 26 year old pack of trouble. To dance Aikido you must .... well your teacher will help you there.

Cheers

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-21-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
Al-li Edwards
United_States
Ai symbol Re: Hello...?

Thank You, so much for responding to me. I actually have never been told that Dancing would really help learning any Martial Arts at all. I was told that it was more of a hinderance due to some habits ingraned in me since the age of 6. But then..those where practitioners of a art that depended on foot strikes where pointing the toe is a bad idea.

Act like a man of thought - Think like a man of action - Thomas Mann
Old 02-21-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

We all have habits that need to be overcome.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-21-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States

Welcome Jessica to both aikido and AikiWeb.

I really like your introduction so I'll give you the single greatest, and perhaps only, secret to mastering aikido....don't quit; keep training.

Best regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 02-21-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
akiy

Hi Jessica,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
Jerry Miller

United_States

Hello Jessica. are you enrolled in SCAD. My cousin matriculated from there. The only person I know to earn a living with an art degree. Good luck in the dojo.

Jerry Miller
Old 02-21-2005, 11:18 PM   #8
Al-li Edwards
United_States
Smile Re: Hello...?

Yes. I do infact attend SCAD Major Fashion, Minor in Writing. I rather want to design costumes and (yes I'll admit) the occasional show gi and such by making it very eye catching but easily moved in and made with textiles that encourage airflow. *laughs lightly* Yeah...I'm a geek...I openly admit that.

Act like a man of thought - Think like a man of action - Thomas Mann

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!