Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-03-2005, 08:33 AM   #1
Taliesin
Attitute and Geography

I have recently been reminded of an old story I once heard. I'd be interested in your opinions.

An old man is sittin in his rocking chair on the porch of his house when a car drives up. A man gets out and explains politely that's he's new in town and if the old man can tell him what the town is like. The old man asks what was your last town like. The visitor replies that it was great, the peple were friendly, everybody helped everyone else, that it was a great place to live. The old man replied "You'll find it the same here". The visitor thanks the old man, gets into his car and then drives off.

About twenty minutes later another car drives and another man gets out and asks the old man what the town is like. Again the old man asks what the visitors last town was like. The visitor replies it was terrible, everyone was rude, and ignorant, nobody was helpful, there were problems with everything. The old man sighed and said "You'll find it the same here".
Old 02-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
Caitlyn Raggio
United_States
Re: Attitute and Geography

I think it speaks to the importance and influence of preconceptions. The points of view of both travelers are colored by their past experiences, and to a certain extent they expect the same in what they will encounter in the future. The old man tells the first man that the town will be good and friendly to him because that is what the first man is expecting. Likewise, the old man predicts that the town will be terrible for the second man because that's what the second man expects.

Only to a certain extent, of course. I mean, our preconceived notions about what something will be like are not the only things that determine how we eventually perceive something, but you know what they say about first impressions. Thinging about how something will be before the actual experience just distorts it. It is best, in my opinion, to try not to have expectations, and just to experience things as they come. Easier said than done, as our society encourages judging and pre-rationalization, but it's a whole lot better than my past philosophy of life, "Always expect the worse; that way, you'll never be disappointed."

Thanks for posting the story; very nice food for thought.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Attitute and Geography

All things seem yellow through jaundiced eyes.--Alexander Pope

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com