Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-09-2005, 03:01 AM   #26
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: New Feature: AikiWeb AikiWiki!

Thanks Jun,

I've made the proposed changes, and will happily contribute without asking permission in future

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
It seems as though Ruth is saying that the BAB has "sub"-organizations within it that does not "report" to Aikikai
Yes, this is correct. The BAB reports to Sport England, which is a UK government sub-department of the ministry of Sport and Culture (or whatever it's called these days!). Its main responsibilities are to provide information about Aikido of all styles in the UK, to arrange insurance cover for clubs, teachers and students, and to provide instructor training at all levels (teaching us how to teach!) in the form of coach courses. It also handles complaints and disputes. Once per year it organises a large multi-styles seminar open to all Aikido students in the UK, taught by different instructors representing the different styles.

Individual organisations belonging to the BAB may or may not have their own affiliation with the hombu of their style, but this is considered to be their own affair and is nothing to do with the BAB.

Hope this clears up any confusion!

Ruth
Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #27
akiy

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote:
I've made the proposed changes, and will happily contribute without asking permission in future
Thanks, Ruth, for your contribution!

Also, thanks to everyone else who has been adding to the AikiWeb AikiWiki so far. There's been a lot of contributions and the wiki is starting to look great!

Are there any suggestions that anyone has on improving the AikiWiki?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #28
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

I've always thought that anecdotes about O Sensei are really great. I think the Wiki offers an opportunity to collate them and attribute sources while some of those people who trained with O Sensei are still around.

There are some great stories that appear in books by O Sensei's deshi that would be a good starting point. I'm thinking of stuff like Shioda's recollection of O Sensei dodging bullets. I've read some good ones by Roy Suenaka in his book and IIRC there are some in Saotome's book(s).

I'm sure that in addition to these there are all sorts of stories that have been told by teachers to students but never written down. Now's the chance.

We might have to ask permission from authors to take copyrighted material from books.

How about it Jun?

More importantly, where do we put it on the wiki?

Mike Haft
Old 02-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #29
akiy

Hi Mike,

Yes, I think it would be necessary to obtain explicit permission (eg in writing) from the copyright holders to place their information into the AikiWiki. Also, there's the implication that the information would then be placed under the Creative Commons License that may not be what the copyright holders would like.

However, here's an idea. If people can think about it both in terms of usefulness and also legality, I'd appreciate it. Maybe we could paraphrase (ie put into our own words) these stories and put them into the AikiWiki with attribution to where the original story may be found? So, for example, we can talk about the founder's "bullet-dodging" story and reference the publications (eg Gozo Shioda, Aikido Jinsei, first edition, page xxx)?

Maybe we can create another link off of the General section of the AikiWiki for "Anecdotes about the founder"?

-- Jun

Old 02-09-2005, 10:54 AM   #30
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Hi Mike,

Yes, I think it would be necessary to obtain explicit permission (eg in writing) from the copyright holders to place their information into the AikiWiki. Also, there's the implication that the information would then be placed under the Creative Commons License that may not be what the copyright holders would like.

However, here's an idea. If people can think about it both in terms of usefulness and also legality, I'd appreciate it. Maybe we could paraphrase (ie put into our own words) these stories and put them into the AikiWiki with attribution to where the original story may be found? So, for example, we can talk about the founder's "bullet-dodging" story and reference the publications (eg Gozo Shioda, Aikido Jinsei, first edition, page xxx)?

Maybe we can create another link off of the General section of the AikiWiki for "Anecdotes about the founder"?

-- Jun
Sounds pretty good, I'm not too up on the legal issues but I'm sure that the authors of the books would probably say yes if asked, its a bit trickier in the case of deceased authors such as Shioda.
The general section would seem the best place to put it. I know that stories like that about O Sensei are often told and can be quite inspiring, unfortunately they often get distorted.

Mike
Old 02-11-2005, 01:20 AM   #31
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States
Re: New Feature: AikiWeb AikiWiki! (trouble in the playground)

Is the playground in a different namespace than aikiwiki? The reason I ask is from the playground I tried to create a link to
[[vocabulary/hidari|left]] but the resulting URL has an extra "wiki" stuck in it.

E.g., I wanted the URL to be
http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/vocabulary/hidari
but I got
http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/wiki/vocabulary/hidari
Old 02-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #32
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

I continue to wonder about the usefulness of subdomains. Why not be like Wikipedia and just have everything in the Wiki directory? I think the current setup is a bit of a pain, and overly restrictive. For example, why should shomenuchi have a vocabulary entry AND an 'attack' entry? It seems like it should be listed in both lists, but link to the same consolidated page.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #33
Marc Kupper
United_States
Re: New Feature: AikiWeb AikiWiki! (trouble in the playground)

Quote:
Marc Kupper wrote:
Is the playground in a different namespace than aikiwiki? The reason I ask is from the playground I tried to create a link to
[[vocabulary/hidari|left]] but the resulting URL has an extra "wiki" stuck in it.
Thank you to Paul Sanderson-Cimino's comment about subdomains (the post just above this one) I was able to answer my own question. To get from the playground to migi I would use [[vocabulary:hidari]].

I also agree with Paul's comment that there should only be one page about shomen uchi (to use an example) and that the vocabulary and attacks lists would both reference this.

I'm also leaning towards the single domain suggestion. There can be a fair amount of crossover between history and people for example and many of the domains (subdomains?) overlap with vocabulary. One domain would simplify creation of links while not affecting the outer appearance/structure of aikiwiki.

BTW Jun -- I seem to have fixed my aikiwiki access problems by hitting "reset defaults" for most of my Internet Explorer option pages. I must have had something screwed down too tight. I may go back and tighten down the settings as I believe Microsoft is a bit too liberal with just allowing code to run…
Old 02-11-2005, 01:21 PM   #34
akiy

Hi Paul, Marc,

What you write regarding the single "domain" makes sense. Let me see what I can do at this point. If I made the AikiWiki homepage editable, do you think you would have time and effort to make the changes?

Marc, I'm glad your browser is working with the AikiWiki again. Thanks for troubleshooting!

-- Jun

Old 02-12-2005, 02:45 AM   #35
Marc Kupper
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
What you write regarding the single "domain" makes sense. Let me see what I can do at this point. If I made the AikiWiki homepage editable, do you think you would have time and effort to make the changes?
Hi Jun. Let's see what others say about this. I'm going back and forth on it at the moment and have also e-mailed some wikiwizards. I tend to like to organize things and the subdomains do allow for that. It mainly gets complicated when someone wants to add a page that does not quite fit into an existing pigeonhole.

If we do switch to a single domain is there a way to edit/move the raw page files or would be use the wiki interface to add the pages back, one by one?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #36
akiy

Hi Marc,

I might be able to do a bulk of the moves on the server itself (ie outside of the AikiWiki interface), but I'll keep from doing it until I get more discussion on this subject. If anyone else has thoughts on the use (or non-use) of subdomains in the AikiWiki, please share!

-- Jun

Old 02-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #37
akiy

Hi everyone,

So, any more thoughts that would keep me from going from the current set-up of using "subdomains" to a single domain in the AikiWiki?

Otherwise, I'll probably start moving things sometime soon...

-- Jun

Old 02-15-2005, 02:34 PM   #38
akiy

Hi folks,

I went ahead and "converted" the AikiWiki from using subdomains to a single domain.

Hopefully, this will enable people to add to the AikiWiki in a more efficient manner!

Best,

-- Jun

Old 02-20-2005, 09:54 PM   #39
Marc Kupper
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
I went ahead and "converted" the AikiWiki from using subdomains to a single domain.

Hopefully, this will enable people to add to the AikiWiki in a more efficient manner!
Thank you Jun. I've gotten swamped in projects lately and so only been able to deal with things like aikiwiki on a hit-n-miss (and usually miss) basis.

Marc
Old 03-30-2005, 11:45 PM   #40
Fred26
Dojo: Budo Kai, Ki-Aikido
Sweden

Hello.

I noticed that Aikiwiki does not have an article on Koichi Tohei. I myself wrote the Koichi Tohei article (about 90-95%) on the main Wikipedia site, and I was wondering if it were at all possible to simply copy that piece of text into Aikiwiki?

I went over the rules&regulations&licenses of Aikiwiki but I'm still unsure if such a transfer of text is allowed. Anyone know for sure how this works?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:08 AM   #41
akiy

Hi Fredrik,

I'm not 100% sure, either.

The Wikipedia uses the GNU Free Documentation License and the AikiWiki uses the Creative Commons License.

Does anyone here have knowledge on if a document written through the GNU Free Documentation License can be "transferred" to a site using the Creative Commons License?

-- Jun

Old 04-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #42
Gustaf Rydevik
Dojo: Uppsala Aikikai

Jun, I was thinking that a dojo section might be useful as a complement to the dojo database. In that way, one could find out more about dojos in the area one is interested in. Since the front page is admin-only, could you please add such a section?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:19 PM   #43
akiy

Hi Gustaf,

What sort of information would you want about dojo that is not in the dojo search engine that you feel would be beneficial in the AikiWiki?

-- Jun

Old 07-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #44
Marc Kupper
United_States

I wanted to use the playground [1] but it and other aikiwiki pages seem to be in read only mode. I don't see an edit button and when I switch to "Show Page Source" mode it says "This page is read only. You can view the source, but not change it. Ask your administrator if you think this is wrong" across the top. Below the page source box it says "Logged in as: Marc Kupper wiki/playground.txt • Last modified: July 19, 2006, 5:00 pm." The date/time seem to get updated (to the nearest hour) but I can't make changes.

Marc

[1] http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/wiki/playground
Old 07-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #45
akiy

Should be fixed now. Thanks for the report.

--- Jun

Old 08-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #46
akiy

Hi everyone,

For those folks who use RSS feeds, I just wanted to point out that there's an RSS feed for recent changes in the AikiWiki which is available here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/feed.php

I've subscribed to this feed in my RSS feed reader so I can keep up with all new changes that have occurred in the AikiWiki...

-- Jun

Old 03-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #47
akiy

Hi everyone,

I have updated the software powering the AikiWeb Aikido AikiWiki with one that more tightly integrates itself with the AikiWeb Forums. It's based off of the software that underlies the famous Wikipedia so those of you who are familiar with it should feel right at home.

You can access the new software here:
http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/
As always, please do let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,

-- Jun

Old 03-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #48
akiy

Hmm... Errors...

I'm looking into it.

-- Jun

Old 03-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #49
akiy

Let's see if it's working now. I've re-opened the AikiWiki once again with my fingers crossed!
http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki
-- Jun

Old 03-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #50
akiy

Hi folks,

For those of you who use RSS feed readers, you can point your reader to the following RSS feed to track the latest additions and changes to the AikiWiki:

http://www.aikiweb.com/rss/aikiwiki.rss

Enjoy!

-- Jun

Please visit our sponsor:

Cognard Shihan 8th Dan - Cognard Andre Shihan 8th Dan (Hanshi, DNBK) in VA, CA, AZ (June 2014)