Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-30-2005, 06:17 AM   #1
Charles
What temperature do you keep your dojo?

This is perhaps an odd question, but What temperature do you keep your dojo in the winter?

We reside in a wonderful part of town, in a big old building that's a bit expensive to heat. The last person out the door at the end of class turns the thermostat back to 40. The first person in for the next class turns it back up to 65, but by the end of class the place is up to 45. That's the temperature range in our refrigerator.

We've started to wonder,though, if we aren't frightening away recruits. It's one thing to roll around the mat; it's another thing to sit politely in the back.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:25 AM   #2
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands
Re: What temperature do you keep your dojo?

Would it be possible to place a little electric heater somewhere in the spectators area?Just an idea....

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 01-30-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Well, my friends in Japan train in the Winter with the doors and windows wide open and no heat. I simply refuse to visit them in the Winter... I really have no idea why their pipes don't freeze and burst.

Can anyone suggest a VERY good warm up exercise?

Rob
Old 01-30-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Rob: the only good warm up in that environment is to get moving and keep moving-especially after you sweat or more than your pipes will freeze up. Our environment during the summer is the total opposite (never gets real cold here)-it'll get up to a 100 inside the dojo at times. Then you have to watch out for dehydration and heat stroke.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
Jerry Miller

United_States

You've got heat? Actually we do not really need heat too often here. Cooling in the summer is more important and lots of liquids. John I've never been up that way but it seems that you get cold every once in a while.

Jerry Miller
Old 01-30-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
Kevin Kelly
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
United_States

Ours is about 60 degrees. We have people living in the dojo though, so I don't know if it gets turned down further than that.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
Bob Dhammi
Dojo: Phoenix Aikido Club
United Kingdom

At the place I train, some days you go on the mat and it is freezing and you are trying to warm up on the spot to get your feet warm but guaranteed within 15 minutes of the class there are people opening windows to let some fresh air (oxygen in)
I think teachers take the temprature into account and make sure they get us warm early on when it is cold.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

We don't have heat. If I told you what the average low temperature is you'd hate me. You'd hate me even more if I told you our average high temp in September.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:43 AM   #9
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

In Japan, the dojo's that I have trained in didn't have heaters or coolers. You trained in whatever the temperature was. Regardless of summer or winter, the windows were invariably opened at some point during practice. It was quite harsh starting class at 7am in the winter with the windows open.

Here in the UK, we share two community centres, both which run kids playgroups during the day. I have to switch the heating right down when I open up. Usually open the windows in one, but unfortunately can't in the other as we have a gang running around outside who throw various items in given the chance.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-31-2005, 04:30 AM   #10
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
... I really have no idea why their pipes don't freeze and burst.

Can anyone suggest a VERY good warm up exercise?

Rob
Me, too -- I certainly feel like MY pipes are going to freeze and burst when it's too cold.

We generally aim for about 68F, but avoid heating or cooling if at all possible so some of us have trained at a much wider range. If it's 76F, I start having trouble with the heat -- although the funny thing is, it bothers me WAY less than it did before I started training (side note: anyone else out there find that they can handle heat lots better now that they're in better shape? I wasn't out of shape, just not in as good shape as I am now).

The times I've gone into the dojo when it's been 50F before the heat's turned on, I do a LOT of jumping jacks. When I get bored with that, I run laps til I feel nice and warm, then I practice ukemi.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:42 AM   #11
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

My dojo is toasty....year round. It's on the third floor in an old, brick factory building. The heat in winter is awesome...I really look forward to getting to class when it's in the single digits (or below) outside. My own house furnace can't keep up when it gets that cold, but I always know the dojo will be warm. We end up opening windows!

The bad thing is....in summer, the dojo gets really hot, too. We don't have AC, but we open all the windows and have a few big fans running.

I'm not sure what the temp is....in winter, I am going to guess it's between 70-75 degrees. In summer, it's HOT.

I train a couple times a week at another dojo, too. That dojo is in a converted barn with little insulation. There is heat, but it's not very strong. So in winter, it is freezing.....my toes never do seem to warm up. The rest of my body warms up after a bit, but not my toes. Funny when someone steps on your foot and apologizes....."That's ok, I didn't feel a thing!" <grin> When it's really cold, I don't bring my kids with me. They'd be too cold just sitting around playing!

I think the heat is set to 60 degrees, but I'm not sure.

In summer, it has no AC either, so it just depends on the temp outside. We open the huge barn doors so that helps.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 01-31-2005, 11:37 AM   #12
Amanda
Dojo: Exeter Ki Aikido
United Kingdom

I have no idea about our dojo, I do know that at the moment after a few minutes of steza numb toes are a given. They soon thaw out though.

Only been training four months so I've no idea what it'll be like in the summer
Old 01-31-2005, 02:39 PM   #13
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
What temperature do you keep your dojo?
Room temperature

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-03-2005, 07:46 AM   #14
Chad Scott
Dojo: Hombu Aikikai
Japan

We don't have heat or air conditioning in our dojo. We actually leave the windows open during winter. That way we can adjust naturally to the seasons (according to "The Spirit of Aikido" by Kisshomaru Ueshiba).

After class gets under way, there is no problem. Before then, I just don't think about it.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:58 AM   #15
Roban
Scotland

Our club has 3 separate dojo locations - two are relatively modern, one is a 1970's vintage building. The two modern ones have limited heating control but through the winter I reckon it's been circa 20/21 degrees C, so pretty comfortable. The older building is typically just above freezing in winter but in summer the heating comes on full blast and we are all frazzled

I suggest you offer visitors a warm blanket if they are cold - the folks on the mat will warm up soon enough if they do a good routine.

Rob
Old 02-03-2005, 08:02 AM   #16
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

We're in an "outsourced" council gym (means run on the cheap for your benefit) so we follow the traditional British way - too hot in summer and too cold in winter...

On the topic of visitors, one thing I did see at one dojo which was rather nice I thought was some blankets and cushions provided for dojo spectators which seemed to get round the too hot/cold problem. We normally just stress people who visit in winter need thick clothing.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:46 AM   #17
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
two are relatively modern, one is a 1970's vintage building

Ok, did that just make anyone else feel really OLD... ?

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #18
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Nah -- "vintage" is good. Of course, if 1970's is "vintage," I must be "beyond vintage."

Now, when I learned that my bike, which I got when I was 13, was an antique ... THAT made me feel old!

Back on topic -- my karate school owner teaches mainly kids, while their parents wait in the lobby, and he tries to keep his dojo within a few degrees of 70 at all times. Around here, parents start complaining if they think it's too hot or too cold; and they think 66 is too cold and 74 is too hot. It makes you wonder whether anyone ever goes outside anymore!
Old 02-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #19
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

We have a new location in the top floor of a converted, 100 year old school. Last winter when we'd just moved in, we had to start every class by opening the windows all the way--it was in the high 80's in our room quite consistently. We almost papered over the vent to keep the hot air out, but then spring came and they turned off the building heat.

This winter they seem to have the building heat under much better control, and it's probably 65 in the dojo most days. Saturdays and Sundays if we come in when the building has just opened it's a bit chilly; other days we still end up opening the windows, but at least we have to exert ourselves first

We just did our yearly cold-water training for New Years; for that we jogged a brisk couple of blocks. I was thinking, "I'm not getting all that warm. I'm certainly not overheating. I'm gonna freeze to death when I hit the water...." but when we actually hit the water, it was...well, it was cold, but no one keeled over.

I was amazed a few minutes later to be standing on the beach, wearing nothing but a damp blanket, in 50 degree weather with wind, and it was *warm*. I don't know as I've ever gotten my body furnace turned up that high before.

Next year will be quite soon enough to do it again, though.

Mary Kaye

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com