Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Kind of Teaching Ukemi

Well, I got to teach the last half hour of our class the other day as Sensei had to go to work. Ive taught a little before, when my instructor has been present and always found it scary but fun, this was no diffferent. He told me I had to teach techniques with a universal principle behind them, so I racked my brain for what to do.

Eventually I decided that there was little point in me teaching techniques as Im only copying on a basic level what ive been shown by people far more qaulified than I. So I remembered Jun saying on here that he teaches ukemi/uke classes from time to time, and saying as we had mostly people who have difficulty with ukemi that night I thought it would be a good thing to teach.

So off the op of my head what I did was to show how an advanced student would flip out of Shihonage and then how a less experianced person would normally get out of it.
So I had everyone go slowly and uke had to learn how to turn their body out of it and then tori would drop to one knee as they cut down and let uke forward roll out of shihonage. This seemed to be a sucess cos they all mamanged and we even got one person breakfalling out of it (which i was very happy about )

Then we did a kokyu which involved rolling/flipping over the bokken as it cuts the leg. I related this to our standard kokyu nage and had people practise that next. Then with the help of one of my fellow nikkyu's we showed the ukemi for uchi matter (spelling) a judo throw, which i related to turning out of tenchinage into a flip.

It all seemed to go quite smoothly and i think everyone had fun, next time I get to teach I want to continue this train of thought and I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for reading!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Kind of Teaching Ukemi

Good thinking, Nick!

Whenever we have a lot of new students in our class, Sensei will take a night and have a strictly Ukemi Class for us. He has everyone partner up, being sure new students work with advanced ones... and takes everyone from basic rolls through highfalls by the end of the night.

Using think pads is a good way for new students to feel safe to practice high falls. If you have the 4-6 inch crash pads like used in gymnastic, these work great. By the end of class, everyone has had a fun time, they are energized and eager to come back to "try it all out." It's also a good excuse for wimps like me to practice highfalls, as I don't do them usually... not if I can find a way to roll out of the tech. BUT, to be able to do the high falls is a good thing!

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

Nick I feel that you should give up teaching.

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 01-17-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

Nick I feel that you should give up teaching.
I felt a bit

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 01-18-2005, 06:20 AM   #5
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Aaw, you got me all excited Tim, I thought a real person had replied to my thread! Thanks for the input so far John!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido of Northern VA Seminars - Doran-sensei in Northern Virginia, March 2015